Meet the Libertarian-Leaning GOP Texas State Senator

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Updated! Meet the Libertarian-Leaning GOP Texas State Senator Whose Career Donald Trump Wants To Destroy
Konni Burton is leading a coalition to reform civil-asset forfeiture abuses. So naturally the president is against her.

The Texas state senator referred to in the video above appears to be Konni Burton of Colleyville. Get this, too: She's a libertarian-leaning Republican and here's how she explained the situation to the Texas Observer:

"Right now, law enforcement can seize property under civil law, and it denies people their basic rights," said Burton, who sits on the Senate Criminal Justice Committee. "There's a basic problem with this process that I want to correct."...

Now it's uniting politicians who might not otherwise be willing to break bread, according to Matt Simpson, senior policy strategist for ACLU Texas.

"It's an issue that crosses party lines; it's not Democrat versus Republican or liberal versus conservative," he told the Observer, adding that he hasn't "seen a bill we wouldn't support in relation to civil asset forfeiture reform, especially some of the stronger ones."

Update: Various Texas media sources say that it's not actually clear whom Trump and Sheriff Harold Eavenson are discussing in the video clip above. Eavenson has refused to name the senator directly and now the Dallas Morning News reports that in addition to Burton, other possible senators include en. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D-McAllen), Bob Hall (R-Rockwall), and Don Huffines (R-Dallas).

"He was just being emphatic that he did not agree with that senator's position," Eavenson said, adding of the senator in question, "I'm not into assassinating his character."

Eavenson will become president of the National Sheriff's Association in June. He has been active in the Sheriff's Association of Texas.

Wishbone

Heres a good one that SHOULD get the Demoncraps riled, but it won't because they love taking other peoples stuff more than anyone.

Chris0nllyn

The Sheriff who brought it up referred to the Senator as "him" multiple times. Could be a front, but I suspect it's someone else. Who knows.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Konni Burton is leading a coalition to reform civil-asset forfeiture abuses. So naturally the president is against her.

Aaaand done. Nice of them to start out with a snark so I know that what follows will be biased bull#### with zero objectivity. :yay:

Wishbone

Chris0nllyn

They ACLU is definitely Left.

Too many news stories I've read over the years, in the Sun and the Post even, of Maryland businesses and in a few cases private citizens having assets seized.

Few of them ever received their property or money back, and when some did, it was incredibly costly and time consuming.

That's the issue with asset forfeiture, but the ACLU has continually stood by the idea that "policing for profit" is a bad idea.