Sexism and GE

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
GE Attempts To Prove It’s Not Sexist By Excluding Men From Thousands Of Jobs
GE just announced it's planning to roll out an aggressive gender quota to hire more women. Here's why this kind of corporate feminism is problematic.

Some feminists like to tell us there’s no difference between men and women, and to say otherwise is sexist. If that’s true, then why does GE need to set quotas to balance the equation? Could it be that — GASP — men and women are different after all? If there’s really no difference between men and women, then why does GE feel the need to aggressively recruit women to balance the gender equation? Is it possible that women and men as broad groups tend to display divergent life priorities and professional interests?

While recognizing the inherent differences between the sexes, as GE does, is a good thing, there’s nothing in its white paper that highlights the positives of hiring more women. The focus of the study doesn’t set out to prove women will bring value to the company and thus are important and valuable. Instead its focal point is on helping misinformed women understand that factories aren’t dirty anymore.

This is an actual quote from the paper, emphasis added.

The factory floors of the digital-industrial age are very different from the traditional stereotypical views of ‘dirty, rough and noisy.’ The factories of the future, or so-called ‘Brilliant Factories,’ are clean, high-tech environments, which resemble a top-notch science lab rather than a nineteenth century factory floor. The tasks performed on the Brilliant factory floor are less arduous, more creative, and digitally augmented. It is a working environment well suited to highly skilled individuals, both women and men. As this new reality becomes more widely recognized, we believe it will help boost women’s interest in manufacturing.

See, ladies? You won’t soil your dresses by working in a GE factory because they keep their floors cleaner nowadays! Excuse me while I simultaneously roll my eyes and try very hard not to throw up.

Hijinx

GE Attempts To Prove It’s Not Sexist By Excluding Men From Thousands Of Jobs
GE just announced it's planning to roll out an aggressive gender quota to hire more women. Here's why this kind of corporate feminism is problematic.

Some feminists like to tell us there’s no difference between men and women, and to say otherwise is sexist. If that’s true, then why does GE need to set quotas to balance the equation? Could it be that — GASP — men and women are different after all? If there’s really no difference between men and women, then why does GE feel the need to aggressively recruit women to balance the gender equation? Is it possible that women and men as broad groups tend to display divergent life priorities and professional interests?

While recognizing the inherent differences between the sexes, as GE does, is a good thing, there’s nothing in its white paper that highlights the positives of hiring more women. The focus of the study doesn’t set out to prove women will bring value to the company and thus are important and valuable. Instead its focal point is on helping misinformed women understand that factories aren’t dirty anymore.

This is an actual quote from the paper, emphasis added.

The factory floors of the digital-industrial age are very different from the traditional stereotypical views of ‘dirty, rough and noisy.’ The factories of the future, or so-called ‘Brilliant Factories,’ are clean, high-tech environments, which resemble a top-notch science lab rather than a nineteenth century factory floor. The tasks performed on the Brilliant factory floor are less arduous, more creative, and digitally augmented. It is a working environment well suited to highly skilled individuals, both women and men. As this new reality becomes more widely recognized, we believe it will help boost women’s interest in manufacturing.

See, ladies? You won’t soil your dresses by working in a GE factory because they keep their floors cleaner nowadays! Excuse me while I simultaneously roll my eyes and try very hard not to throw up.

What's the difference between this and affirmative action jobs.

You give one side an advantage while screwing over the other side.