#ADayWithoutImmigrants

Toxick

Splat
I propose this to be the official thread chronicling the SOMD business that crash and burn as a result of A Day Without Immigrants.

So - how many of you have lost your businesses and or a critical amount of revenue as a result of todays "strike".

It is interesting to note that in my office there is a YUGE amount of Legal Immigrants. Seriously - American Accents are in the minority in this office, by a damn sight.
Near as I can tell, they're all here. Working.

Wishbone

Everything running smoothly anywhere I've been today.

If I hadn't read this, id have never known there was a strike/protest.

Apparently we really don't need illegals very much.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I propose this to be the official thread chronicling the SOMD business that crash and burn as a result of A Day Without Immigrants.

So - how many of you have lost your businesses and or a critical amount of revenue as a result of todays "strike".

It is interesting to note that in my office there is a YUGE amount of Legal Immigrants. Seriously - American Accents are in the minority in this office, by a damn sight.
Near as I can tell, they're all here. Working.

I can say, without qualification, the biggest mistake I made was NOT using illegals starting about 15 years ago like every single competitor in the business did. They were and are cheaper and more productive. Less complaints, less headaches. I thought it was wrong, that I owed it to the locals to hire them and treat them like people, neighbors, rather than exploit illegals.

And I paid for it. Cost me well over $500,000 out of pocket and who knows how much in lost productivity. That's what you get for being an idealist in business. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The news people have been pushing this hard, but my impression from more legitimate sources (real humans) is that it's a fizzle. Apparently several businesses just up and closed for the day - mostly hippie vegan restaurants - which means they don't have to pay their employees for that day. If it were me working for low wages at some restaurant, I'd be annoyed to lose that day's pay, but whatever.

luvmygdaughters

I don't get it. Trump isnt targeting anyone who is a legal citizen of this country. Once again...if you're here legally, your fine. If you are here illegally, you need to go back where you came from and do it the right way. Hasn't impacted my day at all.

black dog

Free America
Not really any immigrants living in the town I live in. The Spanish roll in for picking tomatoes and peppers for Red Gold and then roll on out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't get it. Trump isnt targeting anyone who is a legal citizen of this country. Once again...if you're here legally, your fine. If you are here illegally, you need to go back where you came from and do it the right way. Hasn't impacted my day at all.

Well, this is what's getting lost in translation: *illegal* immigrants. Not "immigrants", *illegal* immigrants. For some reason, the progs like to leave that word out and lump those who did it right and came here legally with those who committed a criminal act by slinking in illegally.

terbear1225

weren't there some people here legally that were effected by the travel ban?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
weren't there some people here legally that were effected by the travel ban?

A handfull.. 107 is a number I recall, but that might have been only the ones that actually ended up arriving here and being detained. The number who were not allowed on planes in the first place was probably much larger. But that error was fixed pretty quickly too.

Toxick

Splat
I can say, without qualification, the biggest mistake I made was NOT using illegals starting about 15 years ago like every single competitor in the business did. They were and are cheaper and more productive. Less complaints, less headaches. I thought it was wrong, that I owed it to the locals to hire them and treat them like people, neighbors, rather than exploit illegals.

I think this is one of the systemic problems with our society.

The last several generations have taught their kids that they're worth too much by default. In other words, their merits do not earn them more, they simply deserve more by virtue of Being Born. Therefore everyone - even the worthless pieces of ####ing #### that IMO society would prosper by their mass burial - think they're too good to work with their hands, or get down in the dirt and pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Other cultures value hard work, and teach their children the merits of effort, education and enterprise. Meanwhile, we have gotten to the point where we teach our children the merits of cashing people ousside, hah bah dah?

Every day, a little more, I believe that the best thing that could happen to everyone in this nation, and for our posterity would be for this self-indulgent society to implode under the pressure of it's own bull####.

black dog

Free America
Not really any immigrants living in the town I live in. The Spanish roll in for picking tomatoes and peppers for Red Gold and then roll on out.

I do find it interesting that Denison Landscaping has nothing but U S Citizens and H2B workers ( about 400 each year ) and he grows about 700+ acres of plants and trees along with a full service landscaping business using legal workers and he hasn't gone bankrupt.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

And I paid for it. Cost me well over $500,000 out of pocket and who knows how much in lost productivity. That's what you get for being an idealist in business. :shrug:

When I was running a landscape construction business in the 70s and early 80s, every employee was a "local". I recently stopped by to visit the old company last summer and the reverse was true; with the exception of the top two or three foremen/supervisors, literally EVERY employees was a Mexican immigrant.

Toxick

Splat

Progressives, it seems, do not make any sort of distinction between illegal aliens, immigrants, and/or refugees. Therefore when Trump says he wants to crack down on Illegal Immigration, they internally parse that as, "ALL IMMIGRATION MUST CEASE AND DESIST".

They also seem to have a problem seeing the disparity between "Temporarily stopping while we get our #### straight" and "STOPPING FOREVER WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE"

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I U S Citizens and H2B workers .

Ah, you say that like it's a minor point. H2B is a BIG deal and I know a bunch of people, smarter than me, who took the time to do the programs and simply could not be in business without them. Farmers, all sorts of ag.

So, tell me the % of H2B's v. US citizens they have and then you'll have made a point.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
When I was running a landscape construction business in the 70s and early 80s, every employee was a "local". I recently stopped by to visit the old company last summer and the reverse was true; with the exception of the top two or three foremen/supervisors, literally EVERY employees was a Mexican immigrant.

Dude I know says the real problem is coming in 5-10 years, that pretty much ALL his good guys are 45-55 year old Mexicans who simply are workers and that their kids, born and raised here, are now American's and are lazy as #### and don't wanna do ####. So, our Mexicans are gonna be allowing in...what...in a decade? Malaysians?