If you don’t think Trump’s hiring freeze hurts our military, and military families, think again

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
trump301.jpg

h/t VoteVets

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Military folks are resilient. They will adjust accordingly. This is just some dependapotomus venting.

sparkyaclown

Funny, when I saw this posted on a active duty oriented FB page, they tore this to shreds, saying that this is a perfect example of the exemptions built into the EO, and that not having used those exemptions shows a lack leadership.

Agree, either it is bad leadership or they didn't want to be bothered with the program anymore and this seemed like a good excuse. There are exceptions that can be made to the hiring freeze.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Military folks are resilient. They will adjust accordingly. This is just some dependapotomus venting.

dependapotomus :lol:

So, if your gummint provided benefits were to stop march 1, because of strong budget cuts to get the deficit in order, what would your response be? Adjust? be resilient? Accept it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So, if your gummint provided benefits were to stop march 1, because of strong budget cuts to get the deficit in order, what would your response be? Adjust? be resilient? Accept it?

Wouldn't that be something if military retirement benefits was what they cut instead of welfare, foreign aid, and the host of other crap that wasn't actually earned by Americans?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wouldn't that be something if military retirement benefits was what they cut instead of welfare, foreign aid, and the host of other crap that wasn't actually earned by Americans?

Fair point but not the question. Soldiers fight, we're told, for all our freedom. That includes the vote. Or is the gummint just for those who 'earned' it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Fair point but not the question. Soldiers fight, we're told, for all our freedom. That includes the vote. Or is the gummint just for those who 'earned' it?

I'm not even sure what that means.

People go into the military with a contract that says they will get certain retirement benefits if they do the whole gig. I am unaware that we are born with a contract that says the government will pay us; I am also unaware that foreign countries are entitled to our tax bucks as well.

That said, and I'm merely guessing how Monello might answer your question because he's currently out doing fishing things, if the government stripped all military vets of their retirement benefits, he would adjust accordingly.

I mean....what do you think might be an alternative?

glhs837

Power with Control

My retirement benefits were part of a contract I signed with the govt when I enlisted. The other things Vrai referenced are not like that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My retirement benefits were part of a contract I signed with the govt when I enlisted. The other things Vrai referenced are not like that.

Fair point, too. But, if we're broke? Where does Social Security rank? Or Medicare? Or infrastructure costs and maintenance? Or the CIA? Or every other federal employee?

I'm a pro military person my whole life. Long ago, as a kid, $400 hammers and assistant assistant janitors making great pay made more sense to me than paying people to sit at home. So, I'm not asking the question from an adversarial point.
I'm asking from a practical point; how is it OK to expect one over the other to accept breaking or breaching their 'contract'? For everyone who says they have a contract and also says 'we (the gummint) is broke, in civil law, that ends contracts.

it's a philosophical question and given people who ARE hostile to the military have the vote, I think an important one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyway, I am confused.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...freeze-suspends-army-child-care-programs.html

Although a Feb. 1 Defense Department memo exempts from the freeze 16 categories of civilian workers, including "positions providing child care to the children of military personnel," Army base commanders are still required to get permission from the service secretary before filling positions, according to a Feb. 16 memo from Diane Randon, acting assistant secretary of the Army for manpower and reserve affairs.

So they get the permission, what's the problem?

IMCOM officials said they are unaware of any other bases suspending their hourly or part-day programs as a result of the hiring freeze.

One would think, if this were a real thing, ALL military installations would be shutting down their child care facilities, not just these few.

Officials with the Navy said although the service requires a similar approval process for hiring exemptions, they are unaware of any CDC programs being shuttered as a result.

:shrug:

glhs837

Power with Control
But aint that wonderful thing? As long as you can print money, you cant be broke. But assuming for the sake of argument that you could go broke, I might argue that breaking faith with the people you trained to kill might be a bad place to start. Do I pay the water bill, who will NOT break my knees, or my bookie, who will?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But aint that wonderful thing? As long as you can print money, you cant be broke. But assuming for the sake of argument that you could go broke, I might argue that breaking faith with the people you trained to kill might be a bad place to start. Do I pay the water bill, who will NOT break my knees, or my bookie, who will?

No. The wonderful thing is we don't need to print money. Just make sure the cards are accepted; all digital.

And let's not dramatize the thing. In WWII, there were 20 men who never touched a trigger in combat to support the 5% who did the actual fighting. What is that now? 40:1? 100? The military is BIG business far beyond the men who actually volunteered to do the real fighting. When I heard they had Pizza Hut and burger joints, ice cream companies in A'stan and Iraq AND we were paying foreign nationals, not American's, to provide services my patriotic gene got jolted.

glhs837

Power with Control
He was a globalist.

I'm missing the point, here?

Goes to your "earned it" point. and yes, he was. And we'll get there eventually. Globalism will be a thing someday. Just like a true color blind society. I suspect it wont be til were truly a systemwide species.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Goes to your "earned it" point. and yes, he was. And we'll get there eventually. Globalism will be a thing someday. Just like a true color blind society. I suspect it wont be til were truly a systemwide species.

I'm still not clear. Isn't that support my contention, my questions as to how to rank importance when we're talking about the limits and responsibilities of our gummint? Doesn't he expand, massively, the breadth and scope of gummint with that line of reasoning?

acommondisaster

That letter kind of reminds me of the government shutdown a few years ago where they added Park Police to guard the memorials and parks in DC that were shut down. Sounds to me like a letter from a drama queen trying to prove Trump was a bad choice. I don't know about down there at Pax River, but there were plenty of agencies that when on full board hiring binges prior to inauguration.