Old people should not drive

3CATSAILOR

https://www.yahoo.com/news/car-parks-atop-another-florida-192507265.html

or maybe it was a young'in, think you'd be pissed??????????????????

I agree that old people should not drive; or at least be tested annually. When I was police officer I was in full uniform "in a marked crosswalk". An old person nearly ran me over. I jumped away from his car, landed on my side where my gun was. The gun grip pushed in to my side, giving me a significant bruise. I limped back to my patrol car and went in pursuit. With lights and sirens on behind him, he still would not pull over. It wasn't until a MSP unit coming the opposite direction crossed the median on Route 235 and blocked him from traveling further north bound on Route 235. I gave him a mandatory appearance in Court. The judge suspended his license and ordered him to be retested. He was 84.

glhs837

Power with Control
Call it the Mr Magoo Clause. I see them blithely sailing through traffic, heedless of right of way, assuming that people will get out of their way. Almost as bad as cell phone drivers:)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Older people tend to start having problems with their vision and depth perception, plus they start driving reeeeellllly slooooow for some reason.

Young people, on the other hand, are pure menaces because they clearly don't have the maturity to operate a vehicle without getting road rage, wanting to drive like reckless maniacs, and texting while driving.

I'll take the old people over the reckless maniacs any day. We saw this in Sarasota: older people driving overly cautiously vs. the young people who get all pissed off and try to kill everyone in their path. If any demographic shouldn't be allowed to drive, it's males between the ages of 16 and 29.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
After about four hours continuous behind the wheel, I feel road rage setting in. Especially if I'm within an hour of my destination. I suspect it will only get worse.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Older people tend to start having problems with their vision and depth perception, plus they start driving reeeeellllly slooooow for some reason.

Young people, on the other hand, are pure menaces because they clearly don't have the maturity to operate a vehicle without getting road rage, wanting to drive like reckless maniacs, and texting while driving.

I'll take the old people over the reckless maniacs any day. We saw this in Sarasota: older people driving overly cautiously vs. the young people who get all pissed off and try to kill everyone in their path. If any demographic shouldn't be allowed to drive, it's males between the ages of 16 and 29.
That would make getting and keeping a job difficult for those boys, don't you think?

black dog

Free America

I have GPS in my kids truck, it alerts me when he goes 5+ over and I can check online and instantly know where he is and where he has been. it all ends this summer thou, at 18 the truck goes in his name and Dads not responsible for that any longer.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I have GPS in my kids truck, it alerts me when he goes 5+ over and I can check online and instantly know where he is and where he has been. it all ends this summer thou, at 18 the truck goes in his name and Dads not responsible for that any longer.

Make sure he pays all his insurance In HIS OWN policy, not yours. Good luck for both of you.

DEEKAYPEE8569

They should consider that when diving like maniacs, shouldn't they?
Yup, but they don't always. Hey, I thought this tred was about 'Old people should not drive.' How did we wind up talking about the kids who have no business driving? Not defending them, mind you.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yup, but they don't always. Hey, I thought this tred was about 'Old people should not drive.' How did we wind up talking about the kids who have no business driving? Not defending them, mind you.

Vrai has the ability to expand a rant in any direction she wants......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vrai has the ability to expand a rant in any direction she wants......

:diva:

I'm disagreeing that "old people" shouldn't drive, and suggesting that if we really want to cut down on operator error vehicle accidents, it's young males who should be taken off the road. And Asian women.

I do agree that after a certain age, folks should have to take a comprehensive driving test - road test, not written. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if everyone had to, regardless of age. A terrific part of it could be while the person is driving, have someone call their cellphone or text them. If they answer, they fail. If they break out in a sweat and are clearly jonesing, they fail.

DEEKAYPEE8569

:diva:

I'm disagreeing that "old people" shouldn't drive, and suggesting that if we really want to cut down on operator error vehicle accidents, it's young males who should be taken off the road. And Asian women.
I can think of four Asian women, off the top of my head, who would take offense to that remark; good thing they don't read these forums; but 1) you don't care about that; you don't know them and vice versa and 2) Why pick that specific stereotype? Especially around here. I'd have thought you would make a reference to the "transplants" that drive around here like they're on a freeway.