DOCSIS 2.0 vs. DOCSIS 3.0

SamSpade

Just got the notice in the mail from Metrocast saying, your modem is old, come get a new one, no charge.

How hard is it to set up and configure? Is it plug and play? I depend on my modem for my job.

Chris0nllyn

Should be plug and play.
- Hook up coax line
- Attach network cables (if applicable)
- Power up.

You may need to go through Metrocast's setup. If it's anything like Comcast, it's pretty simple and they include directions.

Again, if it's anything like Comcast, you're paying $10/month to "rent" their modem. You can buy a nice Arris Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 modem/router from Best Buy for $60 and you own it vs. paying $240 over a 2 year contract period to rent their modem which is typically an Arris Surfboard anyway.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Should be plug and play.
- Hook up coax line
- Attach network cables (if applicable)
- Power up.

You may need to go through Metrocast's setup. If it's anything like Comcast, it's pretty simple and they include directions.

Again, if it's anything like Comcast, you're paying $10/month to "rent" their modem. You can buy a nice Arris Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 modem/router from Best Buy for $60 and you own it vs. paying $240 over a 2 year contract period to rent their modem which is typically an Arris Surfboard anyway.

I was thinking along those lines.
I did read that Comcast (have Metrocast, but) did something where they pushed more ad content into browsers as a kind of "revenge" for not using THEIR modem.
Is there a downside?
Besides the warning I know I'll get that says, hey, that's not ours, if it breaks, tough. Like a modem is going to break.

Chris0nllyn

I did read that Comcast (have Metrocast, but) did something where they pushed more ad content into browsers as a kind of "revenge" for not using THEIR modem.
Is there a downside?
Besides the warning I know I'll get that says, hey, that's not ours, if it breaks, tough. Like a modem is going to break.

I've yet to experience a downside and I've been using my own modem for almost 4 years. I figured I'd need internet and it didn't make much sense to pay Comcast $10/month. Sure, if it breaks, they won't "warranty it" by giving you a new one, but to honest, considering the "new" cable boxes I get (they're all cleaned up boxes others have turned in and far from new) I'm not convinced I'd get a new modem anyway.

koan00

Is there a downside?
No downside at all. An SB 6141 will run all current speed levels, runs about 60$ on amazon. It will pay for itself in no time.

SamSpade

Well - I chickened out and just went to their office for the upgrade.
WHAT - A - MISTAKE.

Installing the new modem is dependent on getting customer service to have their network "recognize" the new modem - and somehow, due the storm in PA - customer service isn't available.
Apparently they have only one line - and it's not working.

Worse, I put the old one back in, and at least with Chrome, several web pages simply won't load at all.
The good news is, other browsers are working ok, but - I like Chrome.

I'd curse the darkness - but what pisses me off the most is, we all tolerate the concept that cable companies are allowed to have monopolies - but when they screw up, there's no consequences.
I do think minimally, when they have outages and you got nothing - you shouldn't be paying for it anyway.

Chris0nllyn

Well - I chickened out and just went to their office for the upgrade.
WHAT - A - MISTAKE.

Installing the new modem is dependent on getting customer service to have their network "recognize" the new modem - and somehow, due the storm in PA - customer service isn't available.
Apparently they have only one line - and it's not working.

Worse, I put the old one back in, and at least with Chrome, several web pages simply won't load at all.
The good news is, other browsers are working ok, but - I like Chrome.

I'd curse the darkness - but what pisses me off the most is, we all tolerate the concept that cable companies are allowed to have monopolies - but when they screw up, there's no consequences.
I do think minimally, when they have outages and you got nothing - you shouldn't be paying for it anyway.

You really want to be upset (or maybe less-so about your current situation)? Read the Comcast sub on Reddit. Some of the folks there document their whole experience with Comcast and it's anger-inducing to say the least.
https://www.reddit.com/r/screwcomcast/

Comcast was out the other day working on the pedestal at the end of my driveway for some reason (probably the battery bank with the flashing red "service needed" light that's been blinking for 3 years that I've tried telling them about) and now my internet is intermittent due to T3 timeout issues and my OnDemand no longer works.

I'm dreading having to spend time on the phone with these morons.

SamSpade

Well, I answered a little too quickly - different browsers have differing results. I can't get into my Hotmail at all on one of my computers, no matter what browser I use.

To Firefox's credit, it will warn you - this site might be dangerous and you can say, fine, thanks, I'll go anyway - while Chrome and Edge will say, sorry, you're not going there.
But on my main machine, some will work and some others won't.

I'm going to have a long weekend with Metrocast.