Trump's 'Patently False' Wiretap Claims Are 'Wrecking Ball' To US Allies

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) on Sunday said President Donald Trump's unsubstantiated claims that President Barack Obama "wire tapped" his phones at Trump Tower before the 2016 election have created a "wrecking ball" that is alienating U.S. allies.

"What the President said was just patently false, and the wrecking ball it created now has banged into our British allies and our German allies," Schiff said on NBC News' "Meet the Press."

He said that Trump "needs to put an end" to growing damage resulting from his claims.

"I suspect what's really at root here, Chuck, is this is just how the President does business. Now maybe this is the way he conducted his real estate business, with half-truths and sometimes no truths and a lot of bluster," Schiff said. "That, in my opinion, is no way to run a business, but it's an even worse way to run a country."

He said that Trump's allegations are "dangerous" to the United States and are "already alienating allies."

"I have a lot of respect for Susan Collins, but I have to differ with her on this," Schiff said, referring to Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME). "She said we need to get to the bottom of this. We are at the bottom. There is nothing at the bottom."

"Will Director Comey say that definitively tomorrow, do you expect?" Chuck Todd asked. "I expect that he will, and I hope we can put an end to this wild goose chase," Schiff replied. "

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/adam-schiff-trump-wiretap-claims-are-wrecking-ball-to-us-allies?utm_content=bufferdc5fe&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
the same guy saying 'we have circumstantial evidence' of Russian / Trump Campaign Conclusion .... after Clapper said earlier there was none

When James Clapper, the former director of National Intelligence, appeared on the same program earlier this month, he said that intelligence investigators had found no evidence of such collusion.

“We did not include anything in our report … that had any reflect of collusion between members of the Trump campaign and the Russians,” Clapper said. “We had no evidence of such collusion.”

Schiff was “surprised” by Clapper’s assessment.

“I don’t think you can make that claim categorically as he did,” Schiff said. However, he offered no details about the alleged circumstantial evidence.

When asked on “Fox News Sunday” if he had seen any evidence of collusion between the Russians and Trump associates, House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) appeared to contradict Schiff’s assessment.

“I’ll give you a very simple answer: No. Up to speed on everything I have up to this morning, there’s no evidence of collusion,” Nunes said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-camp-russian-collution_us_58cf1551e4b0ec9d29dcf167

Schiff - worked a shot stint as a Prosecutor ... had been an Congress Critter since 1996 - his district includes Hollywood - currently serving his NINTH Term in Congress

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OK, we KNOW Obama had Merkel tapped, yes? Anyone doubt others were, too? As far as that goes, given the power a US potus has these days, wouldn't they be remiss, if not negligent, in not spying on friends and foes alike? And, for that matter, if Obama believed Trump represented a threat to the US, which he may well think, wouldn't he likewise be expected to tap Trump and likewise negligent to NOT do so?

I think their meetings Obama told Trump "OK, dude, here's the gig. We spy on everyone, especially anyone with power or candidates for it. Including you. Regardless of what I may think or be concerned about or what you may think or be concerned about as potus, it's the LAW. We just do it. So, the point here is to keep it on the down low and just accept it, deal with it and move on. Try not to abuse it, It's there to protect us all and you WILL be tapping me and it's cool. It's the game. Have fun and don't be too much of a dick about it!"