What happened to applebees?

3CATSAILOR

I went to Applebees for dinner tonight. I was hoping it might be better. But, the last 3 times I have gone the service was slow. I am not sure what is going on. The time before last my brother and I had to wait over two hours for our meal. They said their computers were down at the time. I am not sure what that has to do with the food being ordered. They could have done it the old fashion way like Linda's Cafe does, write it down and the cook reads it. I guess everything these days is blamed on the computer.

I know the general public is addicted to their cell phones which is a form of a computer. But, now if the computer is down, you can't eat either! (lol)!

littlelady

God bless the USA
Hub and I rarely go out to eat. We find it a waste of money. Went to Applebee's once a couple years ago to meet seekeroftruth. The food was so-so, but meeting seeker was awesome!

BernieP

Resident PIA
Hate to say it but the computer is the life blood of the modern restaurant.
It's not simply to get your order to the cook and a bill, it updates inventory, accounting, tracks which menu items sell and the performance of the servers among other things. Even a non-corporate store needs these systems to operate efficiently.

How do I know... I've watched to much Food Network, Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine, Gordon Ramsey, any chef that comes in to help out a restaurant, almost the first thing they look at is inventory management. You don't want to run out, but you don't want loss from spoilage. Also need to keep track of sales for tax purposes. State will nail your ass if they find a mistake. You better be charging and collecting the correct amount. I've seen coffee shops busted because they got caught rounding up tax.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Applebee's are franchises. Some are run well, some not so much.

and this too. For the longest time we wouldn't go in there. Then they got a new manager and he seemed to have it running pretty well.
Haven't been there in I'd say years now. Don't go out to eat much. When we do it's usually a little more upscale than Applebees.

SamSpade

As I passed it the other day, it occurred to me that my wife and I haven't been there in years. One of my more memorable outings there was for a birthday celebration for a forum member - and it became apparent after an hour and a half they hadn't even STARTED making our orders. We've gone since then - but only a few times.

I think two things affect OUR going there (since we don't really have a big problem with going to "franchise" stores - you don't have to be an original to cook bad food). One is - it's not in a shopping plaza we go to all the often, whereas a place like Ruby's (which we go to a few times a year) - IS. Those who know my face know that I'm shopping at Giant almost every day. That shopping plaza also has one of the best fast food places in existence - Chik-Fil-A - and our in-laws favorite place - Bob's.

The other is - there's really nothing distinctive about Applebee's that makes it worth the trip. Every franchise place we go to pretty much has a shtick - a reason to go there. Maybe it's ribs or steak or Mexican or country food or Chinese or smorgasbord or sorta Italian or something - but they all have a reason to go. Applebee's has nothing going for it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I haven't set foot in Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday in years. Both = crap. I tend to stick to the local places, rather than crappy chains.

SamSpade

I haven't set foot in Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday in years. Both = crap. I tend to stick to the local places, rather than crappy chains.

Ruby's has at least one thing going for it - for ME.
I met my wife there.
The other is that I have small kids still, and they will eat their food. Sadly the same thing means, we don't go to Thai or Indian or even Japanese places with the whole family, because I can't afford to bring the kids to eat at a place where they'll barely touch their food. Ruby's often puts out coupons that make an occasional trip the equivalent of a fast food trip.

THAT - plus it's rare to me that a local place *REALLY* beats out a franchise in quality. Too many places in this area overcharge for lousy service and mediocre food.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ruby's has at least one thing going for it - for ME.
I met my wife there.
The other is that I have small kids still, and they will eat their food. Sadly the same thing means, we don't go to Thai or Indian or even Japanese places with the whole family, because I can't afford to bring the kids to eat at a place where they'll barely touch their food. Ruby's often puts out coupons that make an occasional trip the equivalent of a fast food trip.

THAT - plus it's rare to me that a local place *REALLY* beats out a franchise in quality. Too many places in this area overcharge for lousy service and mediocre food.

There is that. I only had one kid and took her to all sorts of restaurants so she knew how to act. Funny, she works at one for them now! :lol:

That being said, I think a big turn off for Ruby Tuesday's was when she was three and said she had a tummy ache. Daddy was carrying her and she proceeded to barf all over the foyer. :lol:

vince77

I went to Applebees for dinner tonight. I was hoping it might be better. But, the last 3 times I have gone the service was slow. I am not sure what is going on. The time before last my brother and I had to wait over two hours for our meal. They said their computers were down at the time. I am not sure what that has to do with the food being ordered. They could have done it the old fashion way like Linda's Cafe does, write it down and the cook reads it. I guess everything these days is blamed on the computer.

I know the general public is addicted to their cell phones which is a form of a computer. But, now if the computer is down, you can't eat either! (lol)!

you sat and waited more than 2 hours to eat at an Applebee's? That's unacceptable I don't care if they're using an abacus to run their business. I would have been gone after 40 minutes.

calvcopf

Which Applebee's are you talking about? Prince Frederick location?

The Applebee's in PF is just ok for a chain restaurant, but the Ruby Tues has nasty food and the place smells.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA

Chains have a place, they should be consistent. SHOULD.

I don't know what "local" places you are going to, but most are worse than the chains.
The chain locations are subject to two inspections, the county and the corporate, they typically cleaner - at least the kitchen.

calvcopf

I just had the Hibachi Steak and Shrimp from Golden Chicken (PF) and it was awesome! The place isn't much to look at but my lunch was delicious!

FED_UP

Would have never waited to hours.