Fishing on the road

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
This leg of our adventure had us located very close to a lot of water. Both fresh and salt water. There is the issue of having a valid license. Some places you can fish without a license in the campground lake. Otherwise you have to purchase a license to fish, which can get expensive depending on the state. It cost me $150 to fish in Alaska.

I got a few bass in Mt Pleasant, SC. There was a lake attached to where we were staying. But it was cold and I only managed a few. 1 was a pretty stout fish and I imagined there were other big boys in there.

In Sarasota our campsite was right on the lake. But it was fenced off as it was part of the airport. Decades ago the lake was open. So I'm sure a few people messed it up the others.

I went on a party boat out in the bay in Sarasota. I just caught a few fish and nothing very large. The pool winner on the boat got over $300 for the big fish. Had I known that there would be 70 people fishing that day I would have cancelled. All my previous attempts to fish were cancelled by the charter since they didn't have the minimum number of 25 signed up ahead of time.

Now here in Panama City beach there are 2 ponds within walking distance. I've fished quite a few times. 2nd time out I got 5 fish in under an hour. Most days I caught at least 1 fish. Then it got warmer. Since then I've only got 1 fish. The last 6 times out, 5 of those times I got skunked. Granted I only make a few casts then pack it in if I don't get much action. With 2 more weeks here I'm hoping to land 1 of the larger bass that are rumored to be swimming around in the lake.

I'm going to try and get into some saltwater fishing here in the upper gulf. Wish me luck.

DSCF9026.jpg

DSCF9060.jpg

DSCF9067.jpg

DSCF9071.jpg

DSCN2685.jpg

General Lee

I imagine fish in a lot of lakes and ponds near campgrounds are a bit lure shy. Depending on the size of the pond I don't fish it. Most of those ponds see kids tossing lures and baits day in and day out and the fish just figure it out.

littlelady

God bless the USA
You can't fish on the road, you need water for fishing.

:lol: Darn thread titles. Thanks for the laugh. Monello will like it, too. He has a sense of humor that I see on this forum. I put mine away a while back, but just recently found it. :lol:

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
This leg of our adventure had us located very close to a lot of water. Both fresh and salt water. There is the issue of having a valid license. Some places you can fish without a license in the campground lake. Otherwise you have to purchase a license to fish, which can get expensive depending on the state. It cost me $150 to fish in Alaska.

I got a few bass in Mt Pleasant, SC. There was a lake attached to where we were staying. But it was cold and I only managed a few. 1 was a pretty stout fish and I imagined there were other big boys in there.

In Sarasota our campsite was right on the lake. But it was fenced off as it was part of the airport. Decades ago the lake was open. So I'm sure a few people messed it up the others.

I went on a party boat out in the bay in Sarasota. I just caught a few fish and nothing very large. The pool winner on the boat got over $300 for the big fish. Had I known that there would be 70 people fishing that day I would have cancelled. All my previous attempts to fish were cancelled by the charter since they didn't have the minimum number of 25 signed up ahead of time.

Now here in Panama City beach there are 2 ponds within walking distance. I've fished quite a few times. 2nd time out I got 5 fish in under an hour. Most days I caught at least 1 fish. Then it got warmer. Since then I've only got 1 fish. The last 6 times out, 5 of those times I got skunked. Granted I only make a few casts then pack it in if I don't get much action. With 2 more weeks here I'm hoping to land 1 of the larger bass that are rumored to be swimming around in the lake.

I'm going to try and get into some saltwater fishing here in the upper gulf. Wish me luck.

View attachment 117837

View attachment 117838

View attachment 117839

View attachment 117840

View attachment 117841

when I was a recruiter I carried a rid in my car.... I looked for the most weed ridden and lily pad ridden ponds I could find and stop and fish.. maybe 3 or 4 times a week.. 15 minutes here, 45 minutes there..

Fishing where nobody else would.

Carolina Rigged rubber worm.. throw it in. the weeds and see what happens.. you could watch the weeds split as the fish came after it.. then all hell would break loose..

Amazing how many REALLY big fish I caught in junk ponds nobody else would bother with

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
#2 scares me enough to stay out of the water.

When I first pulled it up on the pier, it was fully inflated. It looked pretty cool compared to how it looked when I took the picture.

Now here is a scary fish. Irish Lord.

lord11.jpg

When I first pulled it up on the pier, it was fully inflated. It looked pretty cool compared to how it looked when I took the picture.

Now here is a scary fish. Irish Lord.

It looks like something we used to call a Sea Robin up in NY, but the colors are not as vibrant.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
All of my SOMD buddies are amazed at the number of species we can catch in a couple of days in the Keys.....
The personal record is 19 species in two days...

15 edible