Ebay's offensive material policy bans confederate flag listings

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I was doing some listings for a local business and tried to list an item that depicted the confederate battle flag. A big NO popped up saying it was considered offensive and would be removed if I tried to list it. So of course I had to look it up to see their policy. This is the part for "Racially or ethnically offensive language, historical items, reproductions, and works of art and media" it falls under.

We don't allow the use of racially derogatory language or racially or ethnically offensive listings except in a few very specific cases described here, including items with historical significance.

Restricted

• Art and media listings (such as books and music) where the offensive word or phrase is part of the title of the work. These items must be listed in the correct category.
  • The term Negro is OK unless it's used in a derogatory or offensive way.
  • Actual Black Americana items listed in the appropriate category
  • Reproductions of Black Americana items can't include racially offensive words in the title or description and can only be listed in the Collectibles > Culture & Ethnicities > Black Americana > Reproductions category.
  • Images of items that contain offensive terms can be listed if it is part of the actual name of the item but the term cannot be in the title or description of the listing.
  • Authentic or vintage items must clearly state authenticity within the listing

Not allowed
  • Racial slurs
  • Items promoting or marketing intolerance toward religion, sexual orientation, race, or ethnic background
  • Slavery items, including reproductions, such as tags, shackles, documents, bills of sale, etc.
  • Confederate battle flag and related items with its image

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/offensive.html

:eyebrow:

Clem72

Their right I suppose. You are free to lobby your congress critter for a law forcing private companies to sell merchandise they find distasteful, kind of the opposite of the gay wedding cake scenario.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Their right I suppose. You are free to lobby your congress critter for a law forcing private companies to sell merchandise they find distasteful, kind of the opposite of the gay wedding cake scenario.

There is that but I found a way around it. Don't call it a confederate flag (I called it a southern heritage flag) and covered up most of the image although it is clear what it really is.

Restitution

No doubt. :lol:

FWIW, the item sold for over 4 times the starting price, which was much more than I thought it would.

No surprise. They merely have to appear like they are making an effort to abide by the pressures of libtards. In the end... they are a business and will be more than happy to take their commission for that sale.

I don't know how anyone sells on eBay anymore. Their super strict rules and regs combined with their obvious advantage towards buyers with regards to return rules makes it very difficult.