Verizon.net e-mail

softtouch

Got a notice today that my Verizon e-mail will go away in May. As an 84 year old curmudgeon, I hate change.
They offer the option to transfer my contacts and my verizon.net E-mail address to AOL mail.
Otherwise I am on my own.
I miss how with Outlook Express I could down load my e-mails to my computer and keep them as long as I wanted.
I have never had AOL. Do the e-mails stay on their server like they do with Verizon?
Not having to notify the world that my e-mail has changed is tempting. I am sure I would miss somebody.
Do you think AOL will charge a fee for this service? Verizon is my ISP provider and e-mail was part of the package.

Last edited:
Well, that stinks. I have Verizon.net mail also, but haven't seen any notice yet. I was planning on dropping them anyway, but not prepared for it by May.

I did find an announcement online that Verizon is getting out of the email business completely.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Got a notice today that my Verizon e-mail will go away in May. As an 84 year old curmudgeon, I hate change.
They offer the option to transfer my contacts and my verizon.net E-mail address to AOL mail.
I miss how with Outlook Express I could down load my e-mails to my computer and keep them as long as I wanted.
I have never had AOL. Do the e-mails stay on their server like they do with Verizon?
Not having to notify the world that my e-mail has changed is tempting. I am sure I would miss somebody.
Do you think AOL will charge a fee for this service? Verizon is my ISP provider and e-mail was part of the package.

Get an @somd.us email address.

PeoplesElbow

FYI there are no changes if you use a POP Client such as Outlook Express to download your email to your computer if you go ahead and do the suggested transition to AOL.

When using webmail you will use the AOL page, which is a lot better than Verizon and now I can access my Verizon email on my phone easier with the AOL app. I thought it was going to be a pain too and annoy me too, but it turns out to be a non issue/win.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

What state do you live in? A year ago in April all Verizon customers in Ca, Tx, and Fl, just coincidentally the three largest populated states that used Verizon e mail were forced to AOL - sold out. I'm used to AOL now, but I wonder which other states have been dropped to pad the upper profit margin for Verizon. The cable TV was also sold to Frontier Communications. Is that your situation as well?

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
Gmail and Yahoo both have gobs of storage - all on line ...

I'm really having issues with Yahoo Mail lately. I admit I'm using older PCs, but their front end seems to be getting slower and slower. They now want me to use their brand new front end, but I'm afraid it will be unusable on my older machines.

FED_UP

I got that notice also, you have the option to keep your Verizon email which its states in the notice to click some link. It was so stupid, I had to call tech support to change something but my email is still Verizon.net.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I'm really having issues with Yahoo Mail lately. I admit I'm using older PCs, but their front end seems to be getting slower and slower. They now want me to use their brand new front end, but I'm afraid it will be unusable on my older machines.

Since our move we had to switch to AT&T for our DSL and they use Yahoo as their email server. I think part of the reason for the new Yahoo front end was due to the security breach they experienced last year. I have switched to the new front end and there have been no problems. I also use MS Office Outlook on my main computer and Thunderbird on a computer I use for travel to retrieve the Pop mail from Yahoo and have not noticed any speed problems.

softtouch

What state do you live in? A year ago in April all Verizon customers in Ca, Tx, and Fl, just coincidentally the three largest populated states that used Verizon e mail were forced to AOL - sold out. I'm used to AOL now, but I wonder which other states have been dropped to pad the upper profit margin for Verizon. The cable TV was also sold to Frontier Communications. Is that your situation as well?
I live in Maryland. My cable TV company is Comcast. Don't know of any changes happening there.

acommondisaster

I live in Maryland. My cable TV company is Comcast. Don't know of any changes happening there.

Comcast has email you might want to consider using; I haven't had any notification of the end of email, in fact they just did some sort of upgrade (I didnt pay attention to the details, since I generally use my Gmail account.) The Comcast storage isn't as good as AOL - I have AOL emails that are in the 10 year old range (I know that seems odd, but when I update my SF86 I've kept contact emails in there because I'm too lazy to transfer them somewhere else, probably because I know they're in my AOL email in a folder)

BOP

FYI there are no changes if you use a POP Client such as Outlook Express to download your email to your computer if you go ahead and do the suggested transition to AOL.

When using webmail you will use the AOL page, which is a lot better than Verizon and now I can access my Verizon email on my phone easier with the AOL app. I thought it was going to be a pain too and annoy me too, but it turns out to be a non issue/win.

I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird, which is apparently no longer owned by Mozilla. Outlook 2013 suuuucks, and TBird is an acceptable replacement.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have not seen this notice from Verizon. Our internet service is through Verizon (DSL).
AT&T already busted my triple play discount, if they drop email I may be forced to make the change to <gag> Metrocrap.
If I have to go through the pain of transferring to a new email address, I might as well drop my land line and go with the cable internet.

softtouch

Verizon e-mail notice:

Over the next several weeks we will be preparing to leave the email business. Effective May 13, 2017, we'll no longer provide verizon.net email service for your account. Other than this change, your Verizon service(s) won't be affected.

We have two options for you to consider. Please review both options and take action today to avoid losing access to your email.

Choosing an option is easy.
1.Click here to sign into your verizon.net email account.
2.Simply select Keep verizon.net email address or Use any other email provider to complete the setup.

Option 1. Keep your current email address with AOL Mail.

By choosing this option you will:
•Keep your verizon.net email address
•Migrate to AOL Mail
•Retain email, contacts and calendar(s) automatically

Option 2. Use any other email provider.

By choosing this option, you will:
•No longer be able to use your current verizon.net email address
•Establish an account with a mail provider of your choosing like Outlook.com or Gmail
•Manually move your email, contacts and calendar(s)

To confirm this message is valid, visit verizon.com and select Announcements under the Tools section at the bottom of the page.

Have questions? More information can be found at verizon.com/Email.

Take action by May 13, 2017 or you'll lose access to your verizon.net
email account.

Don't wait; act now.

Last edited: