Another accident 14 april 2017

3CATSAILOR

April 14, 2017, 12:20 p.m.- A serious motor vehicle accident has been reported in Lexington Park, MD at Pegg Road and the area of Midway Drive. Reports say one vehicle is overturned with a possible entrapment.

I understand some folks believe this is connected by texting. I am not sure what, if any evidence they have to support their theory. There is no proof this was caused by texting. However, the volume of accidents, at least in my own opinion, do seem to be increasing.

littlelady

God bless the USA
April 14, 2017, 12:20 p.m.- A serious motor vehicle accident has been reported in Lexington Park, MD at Pegg Road and the area of Midway Drive. Reports say one vehicle is overturned with a possible entrapment.

I understand some folks believe this is connected by texting. I am not sure what, if any evidence they have to support their theory. There is no proof this was caused by texting. However, the volume of accidents, at least in my own opinion, do seem to be increasing.

The texting/phone thing does seem to be the consensus these days. But, I think there are many other factors such as road rage, the need to get somewhere fast, the blocking of crossovers by big vehicles, medical issues, drugs, alcohol, complacency, and more. When I first got to drive (I am 62), it was 'driven' into my head by my parents and drivers ed that we are operating something that weighs thousands of pounds that can do huge damage. I respect that info. Just a side note. I have never gotten a ticket or been in an accident that was my fault. And, no my hair isn't blue. :lol: If I am going to die, I choose it not be by vehicle. And, if all remains the same, I want on my tombstone...she never got a ticket. State Farm loves me!

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I am going to add more. When I lived in Darnestown, I was going up 118 to Germantown (118 is a windy, wooded road). I rounded a curve, and a cop car was coming straight toward with his siren lights on (as in head on), and I had the grips to pretty much put my car in the ditch. The thing that was disturbing is that he didn't stop, but kept going. The other thing that sticks in my mind, as far as accidents, is this story on Baynet from 2006. Be careful out there, y'all.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0406/update-car-rear-ends-ambulance-driver-and-patient-killed.html

Last edited:

tommyjo

The texting/phone thing does seem to be the consensus these days. But, I think

Maybe you should do a little research before you do that (think that is)? Did you ever "think" that might be wise??
Each day in the United States, over 8 people are killed and 1,161 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver

Distracted driving activities include things like using a cell phone, texting, and eating. Using in-vehicle technologies (such as navigation systems) can also be sources of distraction. While any of these distractions can endanger the driver and others, texting while driving is especially dangerous because it combines all three types of distraction

How big is the problem?

Deaths
•In 2013, 3,154 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver, compared to 3,328 in 2012.1,4

Injuries
•In 2013, 424,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver, an almost 10% increase since 2011.1
•In 2013, nearly one in five crashes (18%) in which someone was injured involved distracted driving.1

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/distracted_driving/index.html

Here are some more stats...this one is in picture form...it might suit your intelligence level better. http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.com/texting-and-driving-stats

3CATSAILOR

The texting/phone thing does seem to be the consensus these days. But, I think there are many other factors such as road rage, the need to get somewhere fast, the blocking of crossovers by big vehicles, medical issues, drugs, alcohol, complacency, and more. When I first got to drive (I am 62), it was 'driven' into my head by my parents and drivers ed that we are operating something that weighs thousands of pounds that can do huge damage. I respect that info. Just a side note. I have never gotten a ticket or been in an accident that was my fault. And, no my hair isn't blue. :lol: If I am going to die, I choose it not be by vehicle. And, if all remains the same, I want on my tombstone...she never got a ticket. State Farm loves me!

I learned to drive when there used to be drivers education in the schools. A retired MSP Trooper taught me that you drive defensively as if everyone is out to get you. Over the years I learned in some cases he was right.

ginwoman

I learned to drive when there used to be drivers education in the schools. A retired MSP Trooper taught me that you drive defensively as if everyone is out to get you. Over the years I learned in some cases he was right.

I agree with the retired MSP trooper.....you must be on the defense at all times while driving

mitzi

I agree with the retired MSP trooper.....you must be on the defense at all times while driving

Speeding, tailgating, just general not paying attention like your the only one on the road, no regard for others. Yesterday on 4 in heavy traffic I was beside a huge SUV that was right on the rear of a Harley. It was making me nervous for the guy on the bike. It was ridiculous how close the SUV was. Going thru Callaway last week, another one on my ass all the way down 5. It was doing 60. Finally passed me on the SHOULDER and flew down the road. Had to be doing at least 75.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Speeding, tailgating, just general not paying attention like your the only one on the road, no regard for others. Yesterday on 4 in heavy traffic I was beside a huge SUV that was right on the rear of a Harley. It was making me nervous for the guy on the bike. It was ridiculous how close the SUV was. Going thru Callaway last week, another one on my ass all the way down 5. It was doing 60. Finally passed me on the SHOULDER and flew down the road. Had to be doing at least 75.
Well, the local constabulary can't be everywhere; I get that. Let 'em speed. Evolution will eventually prevail.

littlelady

God bless the USA
True. It seems to be the only way to stay alive these days. Especially in the days of texting which we never had 20 years ago.

Social media will be death of the world. People are addicted to it; especially the current generation. Yes, I know this forum is social media, but most of us are stationary when responding. It is only to get worse. I still think there are other factors for the reasons for accidents. Defensive is the key word. When I see distracted drivers (for whatever reason), I slow down, and drop back. That is why I am still here. :smile:

I don't do FB, Instagram, Twitter, and all the rest. Never have; never will. This forum is my only ever social media. I do text my children, occasionally, but it is when I am home. I hate texting!

Letter writing is gone with the wind, and landlines are following. I don't understand why it is called social media; there is nothing social about it. And, it is causing death and disconnect among humans. Oh well. That's all.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
; there is nothing social about it. And, it is causing death and disconnect among humans. Oh well. That's all.

Funny, I have been put back in touch with people from years back, high school friends and shipmates and reconnected with family members on my fathers side I had lost contact with a long time ago. I think like most things, it's far more good than bad, but people focus on the bad. I get to share with these people far more than I could have with pen and paper. I have no drama or heartache, its just a great way to stay in touch with people.

mitzi

Well, the local constabulary can't be everywhere; I get that. Let 'em speed. Evolution will eventually prevail.

Meant to say "I" was doing 60. Let 'em speed and tailgate fine, but they're taking out innocent people along with them. P*sses me off. I didn't see this many accidents and turned over vehicles when I commuted 100 miles round trip to DC. It's insane.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Funny, I have been put back in touch with people from years back, high school friends and shipmates and reconnected with family members on my fathers side I had lost contact with a long time ago. I think like most things, it's far more good than bad, but people focus on the bad. I get to share with these people far more than I could have with pen and paper. I have no drama or heartache, its just a great way to stay in touch with people.

Well, this is where you and I disagree. There is nothing personal about social media because it is out there for all to see, and it has caused more harm than good. I, also, know that letter writing is gone with the wind. There has to be a happy medium; if not, socializing on media will be the end all, end all. As far as reconnecting with some of your family through social media, proves my point. It shouldn't have come to this. JMO, yo.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Meant to say "I" was doing 60. Let 'em speed and tailgate fine, but they're taking out innocent people along with them. P*sses me off. I didn't see this many accidents and turned over vehicles when I commuted 100 miles round trip to DC. It's insane.
Because the folks getting into these accidents drive they're the only one's on the road. Speed limits are not suggestions folks! Case in point: I was on SAC Road driving the speed limit and the car behind me was on.....my.....a**; could not see the grille of his car.
I thought about brake-checking him, but didn't.

3CATSAILOR

I am going to add more. When I lived in Darnestown, I was going up 118 to Germantown (118 is a windy, wooded road). I rounded a curve, and a cop car was coming straight toward with his siren lights on (as in head on), and I had the grips to pretty much put my car in the ditch. The thing that was disturbing is that he didn't stop, but kept going. The other thing that sticks in my mind, as far as accidents, is this story on Baynet from 2006. Be careful out there, y'all.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0406/update-car-rear-ends-ambulance-driver-and-patient-killed.html

As I have mentioned many times before, the police are not supposed to be looking at their on board monitors while driving but they do. They become just as a distracted driver as anyone else. Anything in the car can distract people. A woman putting on makeup while driving, a person grabbing a potato chip out of a bag, eating a sandwich while driving, looking down even for a split second to check a text, yes that can cause an accident too.

BernieP

Resident PIA
True. It seems to be the only way to stay alive these days. Especially in the days of texting which we never had 20 years ago.

Defensive driving has been the credo for a long time. It was preached in my drivers education class and I graduated HS in the early 70s.
Long before cell phones and social media, that sixth sense (being aware) saved my bacon. I stopped short of a green light because I "sensed" the guy coming down the cross street wasn't going to stop for that red - and they didn't.
People have been driving brain dead since shortly after the advent of the automobile.

More vehicles on the road, more stupid people. But I think the number of a-hole drivers has increased because they all seem to think their actions are excusable and the other guy should be punished for their actions instead.

Stop trying to play cop, I don't know how many vehicles I've seen lately pull in front of another causing the vehicle with the right of way to slow down. The kicker is that vehicle doing that indicates they believe the driver with the right of way is at fault, that they should drive slower to allow them to merge onto the road. Same could be said on multi lane roads. The driver of a vehicle obstructing traffic demonstrates by their actions they are not the problem, it's everybody else.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Defensive driving has been the credo for a long time. It was preached in my drivers education class and I graduated HS in the early 70s.
Long before cell phones and social media, that sixth sense (being aware) saved my bacon. I stopped short of a green light because I "sensed" the guy coming down the cross street wasn't going to stop for that red - and they didn't.
People have been driving brain dead since shortly after the advent of the automobile.

More vehicles on the road, more stupid people. But I think the number of a-hole drivers has increased because they all seem to think their actions are excusable and the other guy should be punished for their actions instead.

Stop trying to play cop, I don't know how many vehicles I've seen lately pull in front of another causing the vehicle with the right of way to slow down. The kicker is that vehicle doing that indicates they believe the driver with the right of way is at fault, that they should drive slower to allow them to merge onto the road. Same could be said on multi lane roads. The driver of a vehicle obstructing traffic demonstrates by their actions they are not the problem, it's everybody else.
Well.....you can't fix stupid.

Goldenhawk

... I don't know how many vehicles I've seen lately pull in front of another causing the vehicle with the right of way to slow down. The kicker is that vehicle doing that indicates they believe the driver with the right of way is at fault, that they should drive slower to allow them to merge onto the road...
Interesting... I just got back from a little Caribbean islands time... down there, that's exactly the expected behavior. If you're driving on a main road, and you see someone pull up to the road from a side street or driveway, you fully expect that they will pull out, so you better go ahead and slow down. And since everyone expects it, nobody gets mad about it. Pleasant little "beep beep" honk saying "go ahead, pal", responded by a "beep" honk saying "Thanks, buddy, I appreciate you letting me in."

The problem is we don't expect that here. "Me first" is the guiding principle of American drivers.