50,000+/year injured by police violence

Chris0nllyn

Between 2006-2012.

The report by New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medicine used data from the Nationwide Emergency Department Sample, a nationally representative sample of emergency department visits.

During this time period, there were 355,677 emergency department visits for injuries by law enforcement.

'We found these frequencies [approximately 51,000 ED visits per year] to be stable over 7 years, indicating that this has been a longer-term phenomenon,' the authors write.

'While U.S. policymakers have decided that police departments should be one of the primary institutions tasked with addressing drug use, problem drinking, homelessness, sex work, and mental illness, these are all fundamentally public health issues requiring attention from public health researchers and professionals alike,' Feldman wrote in an article for the HPH Review.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...people-year-hospitalized-police-violence.html

PsyOps

Pixelated
How many of those was a result of violence committed by those the cops injured? I have no sympathy for folks committing crimes that are injured by cops.

limblips

Every time a person is arrested, for any reason, and there is a question of physical well being the person is taken to the ER. It is a precaution the police must take to avoid potential law suits. Regardless of how the injury occurred, a cracked out druggie that has injured himself will be taken to the ER. The data supporting this report appears to be flawed.

Chris0nllyn

How many of those was a result of violence committed by those the cops injured? I have no sympathy for folks committing crimes that are injured by cops.

I imagine a good number of them, and the story mentions that many of the injuries were minor. 0.3% resulted in death.

The story also acknowledges your point.
'While it is impossible to classify how many of these injuries are avoidable, these data can serve as a baseline to evaluate the outcomes of national and regional efforts to reduce law enforcement-related injury.'

Every time a person is arrested, for any reason, and there is a question of physical well being the person is taken to the ER. It is a precaution the police must take to avoid potential law suits. Regardless of how the injury occurred, a cracked out druggie that has injured himself will be taken to the ER. The data supporting this report appears to be flawed.

Right, but it doesn't sound like the study used that info, or at least not only that info.
The International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification, includes external cause-of-injury codes identifying injuries owing to contact with law enforcement (E970-E978). Using these codes, prior studies have identified 715 118 nonfatal injuries, 3958 hospitalizations, and 3156 deaths between 2003 and 2011 from US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data and the Nationwide Inpatient Sample,4 and 55 400 fatal and nonfatal injuries in 2012 from the Vital Statistics mortality census, Nationwide Inpatient and Emergency Department Samples, and journalists’ reports.
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamasurgery/article-abstract/2619243

PsyOps

Pixelated
I imagine a good number of them...

I frown on stats like this, that have a specific target rather than providing accurate facts. Here, the target is cops. They are out there willy-nilly beating people up. How about some stats on where cops did it right?

Hijinx

The police do not just stop their patrol cars and start injuring people. Usually they are called for problems already started, or for a law that was broken.
I would surmise that most people that were injured by the police, pretty much asked for it.

Chris0nllyn

I'd like to read the actual JAMA article but I don't subscribe to that rag and won't pay some intermediary for a copy. I really don't believe the Brits understand American healthcare sufficiently to differentiate between "Hospitalized" and Emergency Room evaluation.

The study was done by New York-Presbyterian Hospital and published by the American Medical Association. The brits just posted a story about it.

Also, you can create a free personal account on JAMA and view the study.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
The study was done by New York-Presbyterian Hospital and published by the American Medical Association. The brits just posted a story about it.

Yeah I read the link. That's why I question whether this report is accurate and if the Brits haven't embossed the message inappropriately. I've us the JAMA guest system before, but it's hit and miss.

This_person

Also, you can create a free personal account on JAMA and view the study.

How many people should this be? Based on a population of around 320,000,000, this represents 0.016% of the population. I did not go to JAMA to see if the hospital visits included the police officers, but let's assume it did not.

If we believe the Huffington Post, 1 in 25 American citizens gets arrested annually. If that number is true (HUGE "if"), then we're talking about 0.4% of the arrests each year end like this.

Is that too much? Is that too little? Based on what standard?