Comedian Bill Nye gets schooled..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bill Nye has always been on the payroll. They set him up with a kid's show for exactly the purpose of indoctrination; for the same reason they install leftwing "professors" and "teachers" in schools. Nye has zero qualifications to be blathering about science in any regard, and yet there he is.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Bill Nye has always been on the payroll. They set him up with a kid's show for exactly the purpose of indoctrination; for the same reason they install leftwing "professors" and "teachers" in schools. Nye has zero qualifications to be blathering about science in any regard, and yet there he is.

Frankly, Tyson isn't much better either. He's slick..but he's also a fraud.

Clem72

Frankly, Tyson isn't much better either. He's slick..but he's also a fraud.

Tyson isn't slick. Every interview I have ever seen of him (and it's a high number) he has two or three factoids that he memorized and has to get out to seem smart. If he gets them out in the first 3 minutes, then you get 5 more of him being a blithering idiot. Slick is being able to turn the conversation to your strengths, not hoping the interviewer to stay on script or risk looking like an idiot.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Tyson isn't slick. Every interview I have ever seen of him (and it's a high number) he has two or three factoids that he memorized and has to get out to seem smart. If he gets them out in the first 3 minutes, then you get 5 more of him being a blithering idiot. Slick is being able to turn the conversation to your strengths, not hoping the interviewer to stay on script or risk looking like an idiot.

"Slippery" is probably the more apt description I was going for.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Didn't see any "schooling", just different opinions and then a temper tantrum.

This_person

Didn't see any "schooling", just different opinions and then a temper tantrum.

I think the "schooling" part comes from the demonstration that Nye thinks science is a matter of voting - more scientists he knows believe one thing, so it must be true - as compared to Happer using the scientific method.

Clem72

Well I wouldn't go so far as to call him a fraud, I would just say he is propped up a bit more than should be the case given his credentials. He is charismatic, has a good speaking voice, and I think he makes a good host for science programming (or whatever programming). But I don't think his opinions on XX scientific topic of the day is worth any more than anyone else's, and I don't think his opinion about politics should matter more either.

It's like expecting Bill Shatner to be an expert on the ISS or the Mars Rovers because he played captain Kirk.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think the "schooling" part comes from the demonstration that Nye thinks science is a matter of voting - more scientists he knows believe one thing, so it must be true - as compared to Happer using the scientific method.

Happer would be better put to use advocating which toilet paper is softer. His point was 100% valid and accurate; Paris is Munich in the exact same sense that it was feckless and does nothing. He made the point but isn't the sort of personality to handle Nye firmly let alone 4 people ganging up on him. CNN's mistake here was in allowing a gang up on a senior citizen.

Nye, to his credit, gave a virtuoso performance in non sequiturs as debate. From his 'science is decided by democratic process' to his dismissal of the bad models to his absolute assertion, without saying it, that even if there IS warming it MUST be bad. And his grand finale that science IS political, I mean, science people ought to try and get him to make much better arguments than this non sense.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well I wouldn't go so far as to call him a fraud, I would just say he is propped up a bit more than should be the case given his credentials. He is charismatic, has a good speaking voice, and I think he makes a good host for science programming (or whatever programming). But I don't think his opinions on XX scientific topic of the day is worth any more than anyone else's, and I don't think his opinion about politics should matter more either.

It's like expecting Bill Shatner to be an expert on the ISS or the Mars Rovers because he played captain Kirk.

I don't understand. Tyson, being a science guy, a real one, unlike Nye the NOT Science Guy, has, in all my experiences, spoken like an actual scientist; you only make claims that are supportable, anything that is conjecture or opinion is expressed as just that. He has a piece out there now lamenting how un-scientific we are these days and while you could take it as an allusion to the talking points that that means Trump, I've heard him hold the alarmists accountable, too; that consensus, that votes, that popularity for a given hypothesis do NOT make it scientifically fact.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Happer would be better put to use advocating which toilet paper is softer. His point was 100% valid and accurate; Paris is Munich in the exact same sense that it was feckless and does nothing. He made the point but isn't the sort of personality to handle Nye firmly let alone 4 people ganging up on him. CNN's mistake here was in allowing a gang up on a senior citizen.

Nye, to his credit, gave a virtuoso performance in non sequiturs as debate. From his 'science is decided by democratic process' to his dismissal of the bad models to his absolute assertion, without saying it, that even if there IS warming it MUST be bad. And his grand finale that science IS political, I mean, science people ought to try and get him to make much better arguments than this non sense.

Nye's audience is clueless about scientific methods.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'd have to go find the links to his war with a couple bloggers who exposed him for what he actually is ; a huckster, liar, plagiarist and more.

I'll go search it up because I am genuinely interested. I love the guy. If you have a favorite showing your point, please do share. :buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

And THAT is unconscionable. I get it that CNN wants it's guests to present opposing views but Nye's latest assertion, the Chicken Little Crews latest assertion, that the rate of change in terms of CO2 concentration is the cause for alarm MUST then, scientifically, be challenged. What is the rate of change and why is it bad? Or good? It is sad that otherwise well intentioned people would have put so much stock and reputation on an assertion that amounts to opening the door, declaring 'Weather!' and hoping to cause everyone to freak out.

Yeah, weather, and......and what? What we have is a situation where so many people have gone out on that limb that they MUST force it out, MUST find support and science ain't gonna help them. It is STILL just as plausible that man made CO2 concentrations are a net plus OR meaningless as it is that it is BAD and EOTWAWKI.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So far, I've found two clear quacks who are anti NDT; one is splitting hairs on GMO v. 'traditional' genetic modification, arguing semantics Neil does not assert. The other is some dude who shows a bio...from a movie site...referencing Tyson's bio on it that lists him as an...actor...which, in context of the movie site and his work in a few flicks would follow. He's trying to assert that Tyson does not have a BA in Physics, masters in astronomy and a masters in astrophysics' all easily provable facts.

So, the kook-iverse holds some non fans, it seems.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I don't think so. And THAT is the problem; he, you, me, we all know DAMN well the basics of the scientific method.

You make an assertion, conduct experiments to prove or disprove your hypothesis and publish your results. I can then, doubting you, take your research, your experiments and repeat them and find you're either full of it or you are correct. There is no wiggle room in it.