Bill Nye Isn’t Really a Science Guy But He’ll Play One on TV to Push His Leftist Agenda

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Bill Nye Isn’t Really a Science Guy But He’ll Play One on TV to Push His Leftist Agenda

The fame ultimately went to his head. Now he is just one of many celebrities who believe that by virtue of being famous, they are also authoritative.

His delusion is made worse because to an army of millennials he is a cult hero who introduced them to science while they slurped overly sugared cereal in their pajamas. They’re the same people who think the clownish Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the second coming of Galileo.

Nye has actually surpassed Tyson in the area of being an annoyingly condescending douche. That in itself is no small achievement. Lately, Nye is gunning for Chelsea Clinton’s spot in that hierarchy. Among climate jihadis, he probably now outranks Al Gore.

His megalomania is evident even in the titles of his recent projects. He published a book in 2015 titled Unstoppable which naturally was well received by loony left Salon.com.

As only Bill Nye can, he uses the book to explain the science behind climate change, debunks popular myths, and asks readers to take action in their own lives to create a sustainable future. The book is shot through with optimism, but Nye has no illusions about what lies ahead. The message is simple: Climate change is real; humans are causing it; and we have no choice but to build a better and cleaner world.

[clip]

Uh huh. Nye is talented as a sugarcoated propagandist. It’s easy to imagine him in another place and time printing posters depicting happy people laboring for the motherland to the chagrin of top hat wearing capitalists.

How do you respond to the recalcitrant skeptics, the ones who say, “OK, I acknowledge that the earth is heating up, and I understand why that’s a bad thing. However, we don’t really know what’s causing that. And we don’t really know to what degree humans are responsible.”

Yes, we do! It’s human activity. It’s the burning of fossil fuels and the release of methane, a natural gas mostly from agriculture, but to a lesser extent from leakage, so-called fugitive gas from an oil field. But these are solvable problems.

And the science is clear on that, right?

Absolutely. We know exactly why the climate is changing — it’s human activity!

littlelady

God bless the USA
A little help, please.

Don't stay up so late, and worry about the things that don't matter. I am working on that night owl thing, too. This week, I was 3 out of 7. :lol: I am working on 0. I found the box I left my humor in when we moved. :yahoo: And, am considering leaving this forum. That makes me sad. Moving on, and all. I found you extremely interesting, and loved your 'maverick' persona. I will always remember you when you went to
Annapolis to fight the gun thing. You go, Larry! I am like youl Take care, Robin.

I will still always post in the 'creatively post' thread. I hope RPMDAD is ok. That is why I will stay here just for that. Other than that, I am done. I love all my friends here. Love, y'all! And, take care. :huggy: But, y'all know that nothing we say here changes anything.

This is interesting.

http://www.lostways.org/?tid=main_med_adw_thelostways&gclid=CNK9nPX-utMCFYSKswodUKYCjw

Last edited:

This_person

Trolled...

Leap year.jpg

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There are so many. I didn't yet find the ones relating to the long-running war between Tyson and several of his critics who called him out, but I'll find the links.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/09/15/did-neil-degrasse-tyson-just-try-to-justify-blatant-quote-fabrication/

Dude, really?
Thanks for your interest in my work. Just some background: When I am invited to give a talk, especially to an audience that is not the general public, but to a specific gathering of people within a trade, I tune the contents for that audience, for that time, and for that place. So tone and flavor and context and intent are all key elements to any message I convey — all missing to anyone who was not present at the time.

I have enough defenders in this thread that I need not rehash already-cited comments. But if this article contains the entire critique of my presentation to Tableau Software — the contents of 2 out of 60 slides — then I consider the talk to be a success, even to eavesdroppers.

This doesn't help as to why you think the guy is a fraud.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Assuming that the above comment did, in fact, come from the actual Neil deGrasse Tyson (this entire post is premised on that assumption), it raises all kinds of pretty troubling questions about how he conducts himself. Did Tyson really refuse to provide any sort of citation whatsoever? Isn’t providing data to back up assertions kind of a requirement in the field of science which Tyson purports to practice?

Tyson seems to suggest that the slides I originally cited were taken out of context (how does one take the only quote presented out of context?). Maybe. But I cited specific slides, with specific quotes, which we know were quotes because they contained quotation marks and attributions, even if the attributions were atrocious and almost certainly incorrect. Now, if those quotes were meant to be generally demonstrative of a type of ignorance, rather than examples of specific ignorance, that’s fine, I suppose. But why use actual quotation marks and bogus attributions? Why not just disclose that you weren’t actually quoting anybody?

Now, Tyson is right about one thing: I wasn’t present for that specific presentation to the Tableau Conference. Thankfully, it wasn’t the first time he’s used those two specific slides and quotes to make his apparently groundbreaking point that journalists and politicians are stupid. He’s been using those exact same slides for years, so we have a lot more than a single presentation to go on.

:shrug:

SamSpade

FAIL.

Tyson is the real deal. Comparing him and Nye is like comparing a mall cop to a Navy SEAL.

AS LONG AS he stays in his area of expertise - astrophysics. Astronomy.

Biology? Economics? Environmental Science? Pretty much the same as any other smart guy who isn't a biologist or economist or environmental scientist.

SamSpade

One of the few scientists I've ever been truly in awe of is Richard Feynman. My mentor, a PhD Scientist, researcher, missile guidance guru, and former Stanford professor, was a friend of Feynman's and had a very similar life view and sense of humor.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/richard_p_feynman.html

I think I have about four of his books - and a biography which ISN'T the one he wrote.
Great guy.

Just before he died, I read one of those "Personal Glimpses" pieces they used to run in Reader's Digest. A man wrote to him knowing his mother respected his opinion and told him she insisted a particular quote was from the Bible, and he knew it was from Shakespeare. "Please set my mom straight" he asked. (This of course was before the days of the Internet when you could check anything).

Feynman answered "Apologize to your mother - some things are more important than being right".

Last edited:

ASBrooks88

At least Tyson has a degree in his field. and not some mouthpiece for the cause. He is, as many scientist, paid for by the highest bidder!
Bill Nye was great for teaching your kids about "how to make a volcano" at home, but GMO's, and any other topic related to the issues, he changes, like the wind!