Switching to Verizon Unlimited?

SamSpade

I've seen so many claims on Facebook that switching to unlimited *saved* them money.

Every time I try and check, that claim doesn't work for me - but - they don't mention what discount I'd get with Autopay.
Also, it says my Federal Employee discount doesn't work with the new unlimited plan, so there's another strike.

How did it help you?

I ask because I use a wi-fi device through Verizon for streaming. When we travel, we'd like to bring our wi-fi devices with us.
An unlimited package would allow us to use this for ANYTHING, provided the bandwidth is good enough.

baxter

DUMP VERIZON! I went with Sprint, left Verizon, the only difference I realize is the cost.....

glhs837

Power with Control
DUMP VERIZON! I went with Sprint, left Verizon, the only difference I realize is the cost.....

But if you lose coverage, then that doesnt matter. There's a reason the other guys emphasize that network reliability is within 1% and never mention coverage.

SamSpade

But if you lose coverage, then that doesnt matter. There's a reason the other guys emphasize that network reliability is within 1% and never mention coverage.

And the latest Verizon commercial tries to address that. "Network reliability" can be confusing, but it's weasel talk.
I have Verizon ONLY because it's the only service where I can get a call working from almost anywhere - but it is STILL spotty.

And the latest Verizon commercial tries to address that. "Network reliability" can be confusing, but it's weasel talk.
I have Verizon ONLY because it's the only service where I can get a call working from almost anywhere - but it is STILL spotty.

That could be your phone. I had Verizon for years, used it with very few dead spots up and down the east coast. Switched to SmartTalk which still uses Verizon backbones around here, rarely have a coverage issue.

As far as at home, maybe investigate a dual-band cellular repeater with an exterior antenna. It will take a weak signal and hand you a strong one. I installed a pro model in Hanger 101 so the engineers could get reception deep inside the metal building.

SamSpade

That could be your phone.

No - for example, where I live, EVERYONE who comes to our house says it's spotty.
Most of them have Verizon. They usually have to go outside and walk around a bit.
So it can't be everyone's phone.

Anyway - BACK to the original post. Has unlimited HELPED your bill, and do you use a separate device for streaming?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a Verizon Jetpack for internet while traveling and I've never had any problems with it. I switched from the 30G per month to unlimited and it's saving me money, around $100 per month, plus I don't have to worry about running out of data. There was some concern that speed would lag with the unlimited plan, but I haven't noticed it.

SamSpade

I have a Verizon Jetpack for internet while traveling and I've never had any problems with it. I switched from the 30G per month to unlimited and it's saving me money, around $100 per month, plus I don't have to worry about running out of data. There was some concern that speed would lag with the unlimited plan, but I haven't noticed it.

Good, THIS clarifies a LOT. We have 12G for the whole family, and I have considered pushing it DOWN because we never come close to using it all.

Which Jetpack model do you have, if you know? The one we have is a bit old, and while surfing and email are fine, streaming usually sucks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good, THIS clarifies a LOT. We have 12G for the whole family, and I have considered pushing it DOWN because we never come close to using it all.

Which Jetpack model do you have, if you know? The one we have is a bit old, and while surfing and email are fine, streaming usually sucks.

I have an older Jetpack - probably 4 years or so, don't know the model. I don't stream movies or anything like that, but work eats a lot of gigs, so I was pretty happy when they came out with an affordable unlimited plan.

SamSpade

I have an older Jetpack - probably 4 years or so, don't know the model. I don't stream movies or anything like that, but work eats a lot of gigs, so I was pretty happy when they came out with an affordable unlimited plan.

Hmm. We have several devices but just 12G. When I did an upgrade proposal - it showed my bill going UP about 40 bucks.
AND it wouldn't accept my 15% employer discount. I thought about dropping a device, but it's not enough.

Oh well. ULTIMATELY I would love to drop my METROCAST TV bill in favor of Internet or Verizon Only - but I can't seem to find a replacement everyone likes.

General Lee

I just checked with verizon the other day and was told my bill would increase 60 bucks switching to unlimited. And using the phone as a hot spot is limited to 10 gigs a month. After the 10 gigs its 3G speeds.

black dog

Free America
I dumped Verizon years ago over the monthly outlandish Blackberry charges.
These last few years I have been using Boost, they offered a deal for up to three phones at 30 dollars a month ( that's everything included ) for each phone. It includes unlimited text, calling and 10 Meg of 3-4 G internet.

baxter

You can listen to there bullshi*(^& about networt reliability and all the other crap. I had Verizon and dropped their piss poor customer service and went to Sprint. NO DIFFERENCE IN COVERAGE, I am all over the State of MD with my business. The only difference is in the bill I receive each month,,much less! Proof in the pudding!

Pete

Repete
Hmm. We have several devices but just 12G. When I did an upgrade proposal - it showed my bill going UP about 40 bucks.
AND it wouldn't accept my 15% employer discount. I thought about dropping a device, but it's not enough.

Oh well. ULTIMATELY I would love to drop my METROCAST TV bill in favor of Internet or Verizon Only - but I can't seem to find a replacement everyone likes.
I found the same thing you did. It actually cost me a little more. While data plans and phones have become a life requirement I find it obscene how much I pay every month.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I had Verizon and dropped their piss poor customer service

I have not had that experience with Verizon. Pretty much everything I've had to do with them, I can do online and don't have to interact with humans. When I have needed a human, I trotted over to my nearest Verizon store or kiosk and the human fixed me right up.

I'm a believer that you get what you pay for. Yes, I could save money by going with another carrier, but so far Verizon has kept me happy for over 10 years. I'm a business user, not a casual user; if I were a casual user, I'd probably be more inclined to go on the cheap. As it stands, I need my chit to work.

So really, I think a lot depends on what you use your phone and data for.

glhs837

Power with Control
You can listen to there bullshi*(^& about networt reliability and all the other crap. I had Verizon and dropped their piss poor customer service and went to Sprint. NO DIFFERENCE IN COVERAGE, I am all over the State of MD with my business. The only difference is in the bill I receive each month,,much less! Proof in the pudding!

Marylands pretty easy, actually........... go places like the highways between LA and Ridgecrest, CA, or up in the mountains near Seattle, or off the beaten track heading out to the midwest. Or the Squam Lakes region an hour north of Manchester, NH, or Bridgeton, Maine. The world is a lot larger than MD. Of course, your needs are yours, but dont extrapolate the whole world from one state.

Coworker and I went to India for a week, he was screwed. Couldn't even make stuff work over WiFi.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I have not had that experience with Verizon. Pretty much everything I've had to do with them, I can do online and don't have to interact with humans. When I have needed a human, I trotted over to my nearest Verizon store or kiosk and the human fixed me right up.

I'm a believer that you get what you pay for. Yes, I could save money by going with another carrier, but so far Verizon has kept me happy for over 10 years. I'm a business user, not a casual user; if I were a casual user, I'd probably be more inclined to go on the cheap. As it stands, I need my chit to work.

So really, I think a lot depends on what you use your phone and data for.
Musted agree. I've had Verizon in various shapes and forms since 1994. Since it was still Bell Atlantic. They may have alway been on the high side as far as rates, I have never had signal and service problems I hear from people with the cheap carriers.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

We went with the unlimited plan but we use almost 16G a month.. it will be more now that we have unlimited..

BUT, why a Jetpack? With unlimited you can just use the hotspot on your phone, or is there a benefit to a jetpack I don't understand??

Now we can travel, listen to Pandora.. Nicholas can Wifi to our Phones for his tab.. stream movies or games.. Even my PickUp is now connected to WiFi through my phone.

Download or stream movies is something I NEVER did even with 16G..

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Do you travel a lot to Ridge?? Scotland?? Point Lookout?? Webster Field??