Single-payer healthcare plan advances in California Senate — without a way to pay its $400-billion

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Single-payer healthcare plan advances in California Senate — without a way to pay its $400-billion tab

A proposal to adopt a single-payer healthcare system for California took an initial step forward Thursday when the state Senate approved a bare-bones bill that lacks a method for paying the $400-billion cost of the plan.

The proposal was made by legislators led by Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) at the same time President Trump and Republican members of Congress are working to repeal and replace the federal Affordable Care Act.

“Despite the incredible progress California has made, millions still do not have access to health insurance and millions more cannot afford the high deductibles and co-pays, and they often forgo care,” Lara said during a floor debate on the bill.

The bill, which now goes to the state Assembly for consideration, will have to be further developed, Lara conceded, adding he hopes to reach a consensus on a way to pay for it.

Republican senators opposed the bill as a threat to the state’s finances.

“We don’t have the money to pay for it,” Sen. Tom Berryhill (R-Modesto) said. “If we cut every single program and expense from the state budget and redirected that money to this bill, SB 562, we wouldn’t even cover half of the $400-billion price tag.”

SamSpade

Am I reading this right - that the cost, which is more than twice California's yearly budget - is computed by assuming the federal government will kick in?

Who does this kind of thing?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Am I reading this right - that the cost, which is more than twice California's yearly budget - is computed by assuming the federal government will kick in?

Moronic Cali legislators voted in by moronic voters. Let them secede, please. Just keep San Diego.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Too bad California has to be sacrificed to show the rest of the country what a bad idea single-payer is. :popcorn:

SamSpade

I guess in simplest terms as I can see - they have a yearly budget (which is running a deficit) of under 200 billion.
The estimate here is twice that - and THAT is assuming Uncle Sam is helping to pay.

I keep trying to find some other angle I've missed - but I can't.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Insane liberals. http://nypost.com/2017/05/22/ny-dems-lunatic-push-for-single-payer-health-care/

Friedman acknowledged Albany would have to hike taxes by $92 billion — more than doubling New York’s heaviest-in-the-nation state burden — to make up for the premiums companies and their employees would no longer be paying. But he insists most New Yorkers would be better off, in large part because the new taxes on payroll and investment income would be steeply progressive, conveniently shoving most of the cost onto a wealthy minority.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I went ahead and fixed that.

HEY!

Don't mention it.

:lol: I hope they enjoy their rationed contracted out health care and international call centers. Vets will probably get better health care than the average resident. Fine by me :patriot:

SamSpade

?? ? That's crazy - don't people learn you can't overtax the rich by that much - or they will just - LEAVE?

It's happening next door in Connecticut, where they are losing population due to move outs, and have lost a lot of tax revenue as a consequence.
Of course, WE remember what happened to Maryland when O'Malley had his millionaire's tax - and lost money because they left.

Which is even dumber because - many of the very rich have more than one home. All they have to do to avoid taxes in a given state - most of the time -
- is spend more of their time in ANOTHER home in another state. It's a change on PAPER, mostly.

It's never intelligent to base your budget on taxing a small fraction of the population.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Saw a report today that California is going to double payroll taxes AND..wait for this...impose a 2.3% tariff on all business' GROSS RECEIPTS!! For those of you who never ran or owned a business..that means the state will extract their pound of flesh from businesses simply on the basis of their sale volume...even if they are already losing money!

The left is completely insane!