opinions? .. roofers cheap labor caused damage to vehicle

DannyMotorcycle

Soo... Got a door to door roof sales pitch... no thanks..

Eventually our roof started leaking and had damage from either hail or branches and the 100mph ? winds...

So my wife.. idiot that she is... calls our insurance decides to go with this guy.. despite me telling her to get 3 estimates and being patient..

All i know is the guy's name is Jessie and he has a long beard and drives an astro van (company name not on any of the vehicles they showed up with. bad sign.)... and apparently hires immigrant labor to do ALL the work..

Wife says he's a legitimate company with positive (yelp?) reviews or something.. I should have known better than to let her handle it after she wasted $1800 on a well pump install
with her fathers money.. trying to get the water cleared up (posted about that too)..

So anyway.. i was storing a friends motorcycle. It was parked in front of the car port... the day before that, that's the spot they used for their trailer to take away the old roof debris..
5 pm the next day they had not shown up... so i specifically parked the bike pointing straight into the car port so that people driving by could only see the rear end of the bike and not
advertise it being there, since it is custom and expensive. I live on a busy road with no sidewalks and no foot traffic. Also i parked the bike there near my air compressor to put air in the rear tire. So anyway I had to leave out, I left at 5 pm and parked the bike in a specific manner. At 6 pm my wife gets home and noticed the bike is parked awkwardly in the driveway. The roofers were there working.. but they had the trailer parked across the street today and not in the driveway/carport parking spot. Again; So I leave at 5 pm, She gets there at 6 pm and the bike is moved, and the workers are there.

I get home later, see it's moved, and inspect it, and I see there are damages. I don't get much company, most of my friends do not know where I live. No one would have any reason to move that bike, except them, to put their trailer there again for the roofing work... or move it away so it wouldn't get damaged from the roofing work.. So they had motive and opportunity to move it.. and presence.. (with no claims of anyone else coming by).
It was moved. they said they didn't touch it.. and of course it's also damaged. With the steering being locked and someone pushing it, they might find out the hard way it's easier to fall over with the steering locked trying to push it.

So my wife contacts jessie the roofing company owner... She emails him the details. She reports back to me that he says his guys say they didnt' touch it, and we are calling him and his guys liars. My wife wants his insurance company information and let the insurance companies hash it out.. This guy tells my wife that it would be fraudulent... I guess the bike moved itself and damaged itself?

I'm glad he already has gotten into it with our insurance adjuster, the adjuster will be on our side i'm sure (maybe he'll take it out of their check)... but him saying we're calling them liars and saying the claim is fraudulent? that is NOT the way he should have handled it. They're supposed to be coming back tomorrow.. i'm about ready to tell them 2 things.. 1>show me your ID, no ID, no coming on my property. 2>Just stay TF off my property and you'll get the check AFTER this motorcycle matter is resolved, i'll see you in court with a counter suit. Let's see how well your customer service skills are now. No one gets paid until the truth comes out and the bike owner gets compensated for his damages. I had a bad feeling about that guy. Makes me mad.

Anyone know if i can call the Charles county police to come out when they are here, to get identification on these workers? Take finger prints off this motorcycle they claimed they didn't touch? yet i see prints on it as if it was being picked up with help... I wouldn't be surprised if they are illegal aliens.. and that pisses me off too. You're getting paid full retail by the insurance company, you shouldn't be using illegal labor.

Any advice?

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Advice? Don't be such an a$$ by degrading your wife in your rant.

That is one of the best posts I have seen in my time here!. :yay: and :killingme:

I am, actually, surprised that Danny said that about his wife. He has seemed like such a nice guy. Oh, well.

And, insurance is a crap shoot scam. It will be interesting to see what happens. Report back, Danny. Thanks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Any advice?

Yes:

In the future, don't let your wife take care of the home repair things.

Other than that, I wouldn't count on fingerprints because typically the guys who were there that day will not be the same crew that comes back tomorrow. Many times they are day laborers and not actual employees of the company, so finding them to compare fingerprints isn't going to happen. But you can try.

I definitely wouldn't have them come do more roof work while you have a pending problem with the company. That's just asking for it.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yes:

In the future, don't let your wife take care of the home repair things.

Other than that, I wouldn't count on fingerprints because typically the guys who were there that day will not be the same crew that comes back tomorrow. Many times they are day laborers and not actual employees of the company, so finding them to compare fingerprints isn't going to happen. But you can try.

I definitely wouldn't have them come do more roof work while you have a pending problem with the company. That's just asking for it.

Question? Why can't a wife take care of it? I am surprised you said that being a Renaissance woman, and all. I am pretty knowledgeable on home repair, and major house problems. Thanks to my father who I spent many hours with in his workshop. So, boo, on that comment. But, I do agree that home repair and insurance is very precarious. You pay and pay in case something happens. Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't. We needed it when Irene came through. Other than that, we have never needed it. That is why hub NEVER takes insurance out on anything except house and vehicles. The rest is nonsense.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
*A* wife can certainly take care of it. This particular wife, it doesn't seem to be her strong suit.

I understand what you are saying, but my point was that Danny didn't have to put it out there like that. Makes you wonder why he would. Anyway, I hope it all works out for him because I know the headache of insurance.

I got distracted. I was hearing yelping outside. I looked out the front door, and there is a fox acting absolutely crazy in my front yard. I assume he has rabies. What do I do about letting the dog out? I will try calling animal control now. I should start another thread.

The fox is gone. I felt so sad for him. I called animal control but I don't know what they can do. That's all. Nite nite.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Does this contractor have his Maryland Home Improvement License ?
And is it valid? What does the State commission website say about him.. ???
And does he have his number posted on his literature,trucks, Business card????

Always hire Licensed and Insured contractors....

limblips

PREMO Member
Let me synopsize a long rambling post for others: Buddy's bike was damaged while parked at my house. I had some roofers of dubious credentials there because the wife hired them. Don't know how bike got damaged but I suspect the roofers. Can I get the bike fingerprinted?

My input: No, they won't come fingerprint the bike. Maybe it would be better if you called ICE while they are there!

PeoplesElbow

*A* wife can certainly take care of it. This particular wife, it doesn't seem to be her strong suit.

My thoughts exactly, hiring a door to door advertising contractor.....Kind of like buying meat out of the back of a truck in the middle of July.

baxter

run my own business, nothing better than a customer stating the estimate is to high. With two million in insurance, I'm covered, things can happen. You got EXACTLY what you paid for!!!!! Enjoy

PeoplesElbow

run my own business, nothing better than a customer stating the estimate is to high. With two million in insurance, I'm covered, things can happen. You got EXACTLY what you paid for!!!!! Enjoy

To be fair, sometimes the estimate is too much. That is the whole reason for getting multiple estimates from reputable contractors. I have had some estimate as low as 60% of the highest.

DannyMotorcycle

My wife is too particular to allow a non licensed contractor..

I think i'm going to call the sheriffs while they are here to do a report and document who they are. i'm sure they will be the same guys.

maybe i'll find out if they're legal or not too, at that time..

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Sheriffs Department will probably tell you that it is a civil matter and they can't do anything

All he has to say is that there has been destruction of private property and would like a report to be made, and that the suspects are still on the scene. And to please bring a fingerprinting kit. If proven the workers are the bad guys, he can go after them personally and the company owner as well. Or, one or the other or both. Danny, better cover up the cycle with a tarp to protect those fingerprints from the elements.

black dog

Free America
Does this contractor have his Maryland Home Improvement License ?
And is it valid? What does the State commission website say about him.. ???
And does he have his number posted on his literature,trucks, Business card????

Always hire Licensed and Insured contractors....

I will ad this to my first post, If this contactor does not have his Md Home Improvement License you need to call the State Police and have them removed from your property and don't pay them any more money. If they try to return the State Police will arrest the owner and any employees that continue to try to work.
If they are not licensed with the State they are considered Gypsy Contractors buy the State.

And if by chance they do have their Md Home Improvement Lic you need to file a complaint with the Home Improvement Commission on their website.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

All he has to say is that there has been destruction of private property and would like a report to be made, and that the suspects are still on the scene. And to please bring a fingerprinting kit. If proven the workers are the bad guys, he can go after them personally and the company owner as well. Or, one or the other or both. Danny, better cover up the cycle with a tarp to protect those fingerprints from the elements.

Unless it was damaged intentionally it is a civil matter.

black dog

Free America
Unless the contractor is from and lives in the same County as you and the work is being done in, you call the State Police, they are not hindered in driving two County's away to go after the Contractor and or employees.
With local Law Enforcement most likely it will go nowhere..
.And again if they are Gypsy Contractors the State Troopers will lock them up.