UPDATE: Teacher Suspended After Pro-Trump High School Yearbook Photos Altered

glhs837

Power with Control
Now, should the guy be fired? Nope, but he should write an essay to be published in the school paper explaining why what he did was wrong. Bonus points for explaining what wrong mental thought process he used to convince himself that it was okay.

Grumpy

Now, should the guy be fired? Nope, but he should write an essay to be published in the school paper explaining why what he did was wrong. Bonus points for explaining what wrong mental thought process he used to convince himself that it was okay.

Oh yeah, we see those apologies all the time....I'm so truly sorry BUT blah blah blah blah

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh yeah, we see those apologies all the time....I'm so truly sorry BUT blah blah blah blah

I never said apology. don't want that, but a real essay explaining why he was wrong. and the Principal should receive and grade it before publishing.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Possibly pay for reprinting the yearbooks just so there is an actual punishment. As it is he's getting paid and not working, sounds like an anti punishment.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Possibly pay for reprinting the yearbooks just so there is an actual punishment. As it is he's getting paid and not working, sounds like an anti punishment.

Sounds like an accommodation to the union.

SamSpade

I'm not sure that, on this, I'm entirely against the school. They should not have altered the pics.
But I am not sure they should have allowed them to be taken, either.

A yearbook is an inappropriate place to have political material. It's about school and school memories.
If I recall correctly, MY schools DID review pics that were to go in and re-took pics or otherwise blocked the publishing
of pics that said certain things. (My senior yearbook DID however miss ME subtly flipping the bird in a group pic).

Vulgar material - or suggestive T-shirt slogans (two ACTUAL shirts from my school days - a pizza place that prominently said "The best piece" right on the front, and a hot dog place that boasted on its shirts "the best meat between the buns") were not allowed. But that went for gestures (ha!) and even slogans on shirts. (Gang signs weren't a "thing" then).

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm not sure that, on this, I'm entirely against the school. They should not have altered the pics.

I guess it depends in the setting of the picture ...... the 'class' or individual photos maybe not
[but then you would have to restrict ALL tee shirts with sayings]
my year books were also filled with 'in the hall or lunch room' photos ..... at that point you could catch students wearing most anything

awpitt

Main Streeter

A yearbook is an inappropriate place to have political material. It's about school and school memories.
If I recall correctly, MY schools DID review pics that were to go in and re-took pics or otherwise blocked the publishing
of pics that said certain things. (My senior yearbook DID however miss ME subtly flipping the bird in a group pic).

Vulgar material - or suggestive T-shirt slogans (two ACTUAL shirts from my school days - a pizza place that prominently said "The best piece" right on the front, and a hot dog place that boasted on its shirts "the best meat between the buns") were not allowed. But that went for gestures (ha!) and even slogans on shirts. (Gang signs weren't a "thing" then).

Totally agree. My high school screened pictures as well. Didn't let yearbooks be cheapened by politics, vulgarity, etc.

glhs837

Power with Control

Why not politics? We decry the fact that young people don't get involved, we should encourage them.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Why not politics? We decry the fact that young people don't get involved, we should encourage them.

Let them get involved. Save it for the school newspaper. Or, they can get involved in local elections or a worthy cause. But it doesn't need to be enshrined in the yearbook which is something they'll have for a longtime. Those memories are more important than some politics BS.

glhs837

Power with Control
Let them get involved. Save it for the school newspaper. Or, they can get involved in local elections or a worthy cause. But it doesn't need to be enshrined in the yearbook which is something they'll have for a longtime. Those memories are more important than some politics BS.

Choice, it's a thing. Without an overriding reason to do so, we should not restrict them. And your ideas as to what memories they should be allowed or not allowed to store in the yearbook doesn't rise to that level, I think..... max freedom barring an overriding reason should be the watchword.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I don't agree, it's a snapshot of your existence at that time. If politics is your passion why not have a memory of it stored away? Back when I was in high school the big thing was pot leafs, probably 10% of the non senior pictures had a tee shirt depicting them. Seniors were a different subject coat and ties were a requirement.

I don't agree, it's a snapshot of your existence at that time. If politics is your passion why not have a memory of it stored away? Back when I was in high school the big thing was pot leafs, probably 10% of the non senior pictures had a tee shirt depicting them. Seniors were a different subject coat and ties were a requirement.

I was thinking the same thing. I look back on my yearbook and it is just filled with political messages and pictures, and none I would want filtered out. It was the late 60s/early 70s, a time of rebellion and revolution, youth anti-government to the extreme. We were required to wear jacket and tie for our class pictures, but the rest of the yearbook is completely uncensored, accurate memories of what was.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was thinking the same thing. I look back on my yearbook and it is just filled with political messages and pictures, and none I would want filtered out. It was the late 60s/early 70s, a time of rebellion and revolution, youth anti-government to the extreme. We were required to wear jacket and tie for our class pictures, but the rest of the yearbook is completely uncensored, accurate memories of what was.

Same here. These utes like Pitt have gone astray.

This_person

I get what you're saying, but.... These weren't "#### Trump" or "#### Hillary" shirts, they were just pro-Trump. The quote that was censored, said long before Trump was president, was "If you're going to be thinking anyway, think big." If the quote was "Grab 'em by the pussy, and they let you" that would be pretty inappropriate for a school shirt/quote/picture. But, I'm not even sure of that, because some would argue "Give me liberty or give me death" should be censored because it is "inflammatory" (and rightly so - it IS inflammatory on purpose).

Trump's win was historic in that it is the first time (to my knowledge) someone without government or military service was elected. Whether it was historic or not, he IS the president, and positive/non-controversial statements by him seem more than appropriate; I would say appropriate even for schools, which should be teaching presidential positions, and asking (without judgement) what students think about them - facilitating open and thoughtful discussion.