And while we remain eternally distracted...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
...some things happening in the rest of the world should probably concern us more.

China, the U.S., Japan and Vietnam are all expecting war. China may have claimed all of the South China Sea but Vietnam still has 17 island bases there. These are a major long-term embarrassment to China. Vietnam will not give them up voluntarily so China will attempt to remove them by force – thus the current buildup of China’s amphibious warfare capability. China would also attack Vietnam along their land border to put maximum pressure on Hanoi.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/06/china_is_ticking_all_the_boxes_on_its_path_to_war.html

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So do we get involved or stay our busybody asses out of it?

Honestly, and I may be incorrect in my thinking, but I feel like we owe Vietnam one so if China kicks their ass that won't hurt my feelings any.

Unfortunately, we're getting closer and closer to Nineteen-Eighty-Four being a reality and reading as a history book.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So do we get involved or stay our busybody asses out of it?

Good question. Once China has achieved their goal of taking over and integrating the entire region...do we care about the demise of so many once-independent countries? And where will they voluntarily stop and decide they've acquired "enough"?

Interesting view of Vietnam. I tend to see that situation in the reverse.

Wishbone

Good question. Once China has achieved their goal of taking over and integrating the entire region...do we care about the demise of so many once-independent countries? And where will they voluntarily stop and decide they've acquired "enough"?

They weren't really independent nations in the first place. most are former puppets for China or U.S.S.R.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Exactly.

Please elaborate. I'm willing to change my mind.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Exactly.

Please elaborate. I'm willing to change my mind.

A fiercely proud and nationalistic country (going back many centuries), led to believe that they would be free to establish an independent country following WWII, after decades of colonial rule, fought tenaciously for more than 20 straight years all outside attempts by foreign nations (French and, later, US-led coalition) to subsequently deny them that. And eventually won.

That's the simple history in a too-short summary.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Is it worth American lives?

And if so..why? And..at what point, if ever? Like WWII in Europe...Hitler kept taking..a little here..a bunch there...

And maybe "so what" if China ends up controlling that entire region of the world. Except Japan?...or including Japan? Australia would be OK, right?...or not? Malaysia and Indonesia? China claims islands that are part of the PI...what about them? Or just assume the PI will become part of the Chinese empire...

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A fiercely proud and nationalistic country (going back many centuries), led to believe that they would be free to establish an independent country following WWII, after decades of colonial rule, fought tenaciously for more than 20 straight years all outside attempts by foreign nations (French and, later, US-led coalition) to subsequently deny them that. And eventually won.

That's the simple history in a too-short summary.

:yay: I appreciate your thumbnail sketch.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is it worth American lives?

Depends. How far does China want to go? And how will it affect us?

The problem for us is not China's land grab; it's their mission creep that could turn out to be our problem. And, like Hitler, if you wait too long to address it, it gets out of control and now #### has to hit the fan.

Ya gotta nip it...in the bud.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
:yay: I appreciate your thumbnail sketch.

I've probably read more books on that particular little country and their wars than any other topic save WWII. Complex subject and takes some real digging to get even a half-assed grasp of it all.

As an aside, it looks like we'll soon have a ship building project or three in Vietnam. The shipyard in question is located in Vung Tau..the beautiful seafront location where our military built the famous R&R facility of "China Beach" fame. I'm really looking forward to working there. It's an increasingly popular seaside resort town now.

Hijinx

Well nobody has mentioned North Korea.A place I would like to see China take control of. But would they stop with N. Korea or take S. Korea too.
Of course we will interfere if they move on Japan, and I believe we will interfere if they move on Formosa-Taiwan.
If they move on Vietnam and we supply Vietnam like they did when we went there they will have a mouth full, but it will b a terrible war of attrition where Civilian lives mean nothing, fact is if China invades anywhere there is going to be a lot of atrocities.
The we have to think what will the world do if Chin makes it's move.? Which side will the Russians get on.
Europe has nothing. They are old retired and being taken over by Muslims. Europe is a push over.
Australia may help as self-defense and South America is too busy peddling drugs to be of any use.

PsyOps

Pixelated
And if so..why? And..at what point, if ever? Like WWII in Europe...Hitler kept taking..a little here..a bunch there...

And maybe "so what" if China ends up controlling that entire region of the world. Except Japan?...or including Japan? Australia would be OK, right?...or not? Malaysia and Indonesia? China claims islands that are part of the PI...what about them? Or just assume the PI will become part of the Chinese empire...

We have so poorly weighed the benefit/risk factor. We have been in the mideast for nearly 16 years now, and it has only gained us more chaos and death there. We have gained not one benefit for our blood. I loathe thinking about getting mixed up with a country like China, given how we are fighting wars these days.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Depends. How far does China want to go? And how will it affect us?

The problem for us is not China's land grab; it's their mission creep that could turn out to be our problem. And, like Hitler, if you wait too long to address it, it gets out of control and now #### has to hit the fan.

Ya gotta nip it...in the bud.

I happen to think the problem for us, is we have developed a ####ty strategy for fighting wars. We don't fight to win. We seem to fight to achieve some short term objective that only results in long term failure.