Evil, successful people ruining it for the poor

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
So says I dip#### author. What a fool. Now working hard, saving, making good life choices is somehow making it difficult for those that drop out of school, get pregnant at an early age, do illegal drugs, make poor choices and commit crimes to get ahead.

In a new book, a Brookings scholar examines how the upper-middle class has enriched itself and harmed economic mobility.

[FONT=&quot]The higher you go up the income or wealth distribution, the bigger the gains made in the past three or four decades. Still, the top quintile of earners—those making more than roughly $112,000 a year—have been big beneficiaries of the country’s growth. To make matters worse, this group of Americans engages in a variety of practices that don’t just help their families, but harm the other 80 percent of Americans.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The book traces the way that the upper-middle class has pulled away from the middle class and the poor on five dimensions: income and wealth, educational attainment, family structure, geography, and health and longevity.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They then pass those advantages onto their children, with parents placing a “glass floor” under their kids. They ensure they grow up in nice zip codes, provide social connections that make a difference when entering the labor force, help with internships, aid with tuition and home-buying, and schmooze with college admissions officers. All the while, they support policies and practices that protect their economic position and prevent poorer kids from climbing the income [/FONT]ladder[FONT=&quot]: legacy admissions, the preferential tax treatment of investment income, 529 college savings plans, exclusionary zoning, occupational licensing, and restrictions on the immigration of white-collar professionals. [/FONT]

so much privilege

Raise your hand if you came from nothing, had no trust fund, followed the rules, worked and studied hard and made something of yourself.

glhs837

Power with Control
I know a late 20 something young man. Got himself a education in makeup and special effects. But then insisted on living locally, ensuring that education was useless. Then he spent another few years getting a womans studies degree, another useless pursuit. So now, he's married with a one year old to a 19 year old girl, working at Whole Foods, hoping to move up to the beer section. And just found out that there's another baby on the way. His lack of economic opportunity has not one damn thing to do with anything but his own choices.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I know a late 20 something young man. Got himself a education in makeup and special effects. But then insisted on living locally, ensuring that education was useless. Then he spent another few years getting a womans studies degree, another useless pursuit. So now, he's married with a one year old to a 19 year old girl, working at Whole Foods, hoping to move up to the beer section. And just found out that there's another baby on the way. His lack of economic opportunity has not one damn thing to do with anything but his own choices.

This comes down to choices. He should have waited to have kids. But he will struggle to pay his bills. Nothing wrong with working at Whole Foods. But your economic choices will be somewhat limited. Children are expensive to raise. I hope this guy doesn't have student loans for his degree. SMH

glhs837

Power with Control
This comes down to choices. He should have waited to have kids. But he will struggle to pay his bills. Nothing wrong with working at Whole Foods. But your economic choices will be somewhat limited. Children are expensive to raise. I hope this guy doesn't have student loans for his degree. SMH

Nothing wrong with Whole Foods, agreed. My daughter has worked for Starbucks for 4 years now. The point was, to spend 7 years getting an education you cant use is a waste of time.

PeoplesElbow

Did he think he was actually going to get a job in makeup and special effects locally? Or was it just something he wanted to play around with?

What was the reason for the women's studies degree?

One of my best friends in high school got an art degree, he has since worked for a lawn service for 20 years. He came from a well to do family, both parents were accountants.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Its interesting that the author of the article is exactly what she is bitching about. She's a white woman living in that same beautiful circumstance. I wonder if she will put her kids in public school and pay the tuition for some kids under the glass floor so they can rise up....I think not.

Just another snowflake spouting off about how unfair the USA is.....

glhs837

Power with Control
Did he think he was actually going to get a job in makeup and special effects locally? Or was it just something he wanted to play around with?

What was the reason for the women's studies degree?

One of my best friends in high school got an art degree, he has since worked for a lawn service for 20 years. He came from a well to do family, both parents were accountants.

I have no idea of any of those questions. Pretty smart guy. But no idea as to why he did what he did. Everybody has their own path to happiness, of course. But I had to unfriend him on FB during the election as he couldn't stop insulting people who didn't believe in the Bernie/Hillary way.

luvmygdaughters

Again, someone is successful due to hardwork, perseverance, education, etc. and those who continue to make poor choices are shouting, rather loudly...UNFAIR!!! I raised my two daughters practically by myself, my husband and I were married for 8 years before getting divorced. We had children way too young, poor choice on our part. However, I did the best I could do with what I had to work with. Daughters are doing fine, One is in a government position with a very generous salary. The other is an accountant with a local union. They have both put themselves thru school and are paying back student loans. My point is, if you come from a non-advantageous position in life, you can choose to remain there or you can choose to better yourself and your surroundings...on your own!