backyard shooting range

paxnewbie

Does anyone know of the laws re: target shooting in one's own backyard? Is there a minimum distance from the next house? Minimum acreage? We mostly shoot a 9mm at empty bottles and a target.
The family that would shoot are certified military marksmen (or whatever the vernacular is)

Thx

officeguy

What county ?

Calvert has an ordinance that restricts you. The 150 yard state law only applies to hunting, not plinking.

Just make sure you don't do what the SM sheriff's did and put a round into your neighbors bedroom.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, the big issue is how you are set up for a backstop. And of course the area you are doing it in. Even if you are doing ti in perfect safety, if there are overly concerned NIMBYs, you might face issues.

paxnewbie

I would definitely say we are perfectly safe. As for neighbors, if we are legal, I don't really care what they think. I say that not because we are a33holes, but because we already have more than our share of difficult neighbors and nobody seems to care what anyone else thinks.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
St. Mary's.
So, 150yds for hunting...do you think that means a lesser or greater distance for targets?

Unfortunately, it depends too much on what was-just-yesterday-a-teenager LEO shows up in response to the inevitable calls/complaints from neighbors. But even the experienced LEOs have to "respond"..a total waste of their time.

I own a DNR-licensed hunting property....on shore and offshore blinds both. But in spite of that, I've largely stopped target and clay shooting simply because I hate wasting the county LEO's time. Some newbie weeny (we're overrrun with them on St. George's Island) calls and "OMFG..somebody shootoin' a gun around here...lawdy lawdy..ahma gonna die!!!" State, county or DNR guys shows up..because they have to. We chat..they leave...we're both disgusted. Their time is wasted,,,

paxnewbie

Oh, that sucks! I'm going to vote that you continue shooting as much as you want to, and feel free to invite anonymous forumites over, too!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oh, that sucks! I'm going to vote that you continue shooting as much as you want to, and feel free to invite anonymous forumites over, too!

Well..I have another place to shoot. A private island off the end of 7D..so I shoot there and don't have to get my silk-panty neighbors all worked up.

glhs837

Power with Control
St. Mary's.
So, 150yds for hunting...do you think that means a lesser or greater distance for targets?

I would definitely say we are perfectly safe. As for neighbors, if we are legal, I don't really care what they think. I say that not because we are a33holes, but because we already have more than our share of difficult neighbors and nobody seems to care what anyone else thinks.

There is no published distance for target shooting. Regarding the neighbors, it's sort of like dealing with the car dealership regarding warranty repairs. You can be legally in the right and the system makes it so much trouble to prove that you are that it's more hassle than it's worth. And given the lack or written law, you end up potentially being on the wrong end of Deputy Dawg siding with them. Gilligan, his family has been here forever, and so a lot of LEOs know him or of him. Not trying to discourage you, just want to make sure you know the potential downsides. I plan on shooting on my land when I get around to clearing out a dead tree thats right where I have a 60 foot tall backstop formed by a hill. But I live out a bit where gunfire is a regular occurrence. Even so, I've talked to mt neighbors and shown them what planning I've done.

limblips

Does anyone know of the laws re: target shooting in one's own backyard? Is there a minimum distance from the next house? Minimum acreage? We mostly shoot a 9mm at empty bottles and a target.
The family that would shoot are certified military marksmen (or whatever the vernacular is)

Thx[/QUOT

With something that has the potential liability, personal injury, and criminal issues like target shooting, I seriously doubt I would ask SOMD.com forumites for advice. I would go to your county sheriffs office (And SP maybe) and get their input (in writing).

If you ask the forum, just pick the response you like best and go with it...... Good luck.

black dog

Free America
limblips Thx[/QUOT With something that has the potential liability said:
You would not have liked to live near me...
I lived next to Dotsonville for better than 10 years, we shot there 3 to 4 times a month.
Only had two visits from the law in that time, both times the Deputys and Trooper took a few autos for a spin before they left.
There is a reason to live outside of the City Limits, being able to shoot on your own property is one of them.

Last edited:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
And that right there is the key. Talk to the neighbors beforehand, so they don't wig out not knowing what's going on.

Yes, but MoCo and NoVa weekenders........no brains.
Went to court two years ago...St. Marys....a retired MoCo judge said "I know how you good old boys behave down here...you just have to learn that people not from here do not understand and you need to be accommodating"