Supreme Court to hear Gerrymandering case

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I
Gerrymandering overwhelmingly favors Republican candidates.

Except in Maryland, where the exact opposite is true. I only really care about gerrymandering in MD. I can't vote in any of the other states, because I'm not registered as a Democrat.

Sapidus

Except in Maryland, where the exact opposite is true. I only really care about gerrymandering in MD. I can't vote in any of the other states, because I'm not registered as a Democrat.

So what? Maybe you should call the supreme court and ask them to only review cases that effect you personally This is a forum about politics. Not about you. Or how everything effects you. That's your problem right there. Maybe get outside and meet some people and see the real world and not just your basement.

Clem72

Can't help but think this isn't going to amount to much. They may outlaw outright districting based on political parties, but other reasons will still be found valid. I remember one particular gruesome looking district (I think it was Il 4th) that looks bad, but it's because it follows two streets of primarily Hispanic households that surround another area of industry. Both districts are heavily D, so it makes no difference to the number of D vs R's in congress, but it allows the Hispanic group to elect a rep that is more in-tune with their concerns.

black dog

Free America
Let's see what they say about that convoluted Maryland 3rd Congressional District...
It's kinna funny that now six years after rewriting districts, O'Malley has changed his stance on Gerrymandering...

SamSpade

I don't know that would continue to be the case if the rules were changed across the country.
The primary consequence of gerrymandering is the creation of non-competitive districts.
So one of the problems in Congress is that candidates rarely need to put much effort into campaigning or for that matter, consider their constituent's desires, because they're all homogenous - they can simply follow *party* and represent them.

What would be the consequence of balanced districts - especially in non-Presidential years, which typically favor the right?

What's the likelihood also that once fairly drawn - they STILL favor on party greatly over the other?
For instance, the entire state of Massachusetts tilts extremely heavily to the left - any redistricting would likely yield the same results.

Hijinx

In what will have broad implications country wide the Supreme Court has agreed to hear a case to determine if Gerrymandering by political affiliation and to what extent is permissible.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/338404-supreme-court-to-consider-wisconsin-gerrymandering-case

If it's true that gerrymandering primarily favors Republicans you should be cheering that the Supreme Court is looking at it.
Are you sure your brain functions?

Sapidus

If it's true that gerrymandering primarily favors Republicans you should be cheering that the Supreme Court is looking at it.
Are you sure your brain functions?

Yes. I am excited about it since it will stop the unfair districting. What did you not understand in the article that I can help you with?

SamSpade

Yes. In fact they can if they decide that districting on political grounds is not constitutional.

I've read any number of articles that state that PROVING it was done for political reasons is difficult - or skirting around that requirement is astonishingly easy.
Moreover, the Voting Rights Act requires that race be used as a factor in determining boundaries in order to improve minority representation.
That alone gives anyone enough ability to do pretty much whatever they want.

Clem72

That is completely false in Maryland. The opposite is true.:coffee:

The districts are set by the states, so I assume wherever you have a state legislature that heavily leans one way or the other they will meddle with the districts over time to help their own party.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
they will meddle with the districts over time to help their own party.

As O' Malley and others named in the gerrymandering lawsuit have now openly admitted to doing. Maryland has the dubious distinction of being ranked as one of the most gerrymandered states in the country.

Last edited:

SamSpade

The districts are set by the states, so I assume wherever you have a state legislature that heavily leans one way or the other they will meddle with the districts over time to help their own party.

I'm trying not to be rude but - Captain Obvious, that is EXACTLY what happens.
And people are trying to stop that, aside from the fact that it's simply ridiculous to have these tortuous shapes call a voting district.

But they get created for many reasons. For example, the rules and constraints of the Voting Rights Act are confusing as hell, but they DO state that race should play a factor in creating districts. I'm confused by them also, because obviously you can draw districts that overstack minorities into ONE district so as to minimize their effect - or you can spread them out over a few to maximize their effect (in the event the minority FAVORS your party).

Obviously, according to the Constitution, districts are *supposed* to be nearly the same in population - but what often means is - irrespective of race and party - that districts will include parts of a more populous area that may have completely different interests. A typical example is our own - it would be great if we had a "Southern Maryland" district where our rep would deal with issues unique to this area - but there ain't enough people. They HAVE to include voters from either PG or Annapolis. And honestly, once THAT happens, the voters in those regions have a bigger say in what happens with our rep in the House.

So a common consideration in trying to create fair but compact districts is to consider historical and regional interests - and that can be hard. You can bet that if you're a rural part of a district where most of the voters live near a city - your interests in creating some kind of interstate tunnel or bridge is likely to get ignored.

Clem72

I'm trying not to be rude but - Captain Obvious, that is EXACTLY what happens.

Then we are on the same wavelength, because I was trying not to be rude in response to the obvious statement that Maryland was heavily gerrymandered in favor of the Ds.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It's interesting that the MD gerrymandering case is being argued on 1st Amendment Freedom of Speech grounds. So far, it seems to have some merit, and could likely make it all the way to SCOTUS.