Seth McFarland - Orville

stgislander

PREMO Member
Fox does it again. I don't know how you feel about Seth McFarland, but I think this looks funny. Besides, Adrianne Palicki is easy on the eyes.

Wishbone

I was somewhat disappointed with the first show.

I'll give it a few to find its legs and see what happens but it's not off to the start I expected.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It was a bit slow, but I liked it. I found the back-n-forth between McFarlane and Palicki funny.

I'll continue to watch it for the simple fact that it's Sunday night at 8:00PM.

SamSpade

Kind of reminds me of what DS9 was like when they decided to do something silly with the Ferengi.

I'm enjoying it - a bit - the actress who plays the doctor is obviously very good. But something's missing.

In some regards, they're relying heavily on the fact that we've all seen Star Trek and know what transporters are, what food replicators do and have various similarities like a jump to warp looks the same and the shuttles look similar and enter through the same spot on the rear of the ship, or that the bridge has a command chair circle with navigation and helm and everyone else all around it.

But I think what's missing is, the stories so far are - ok. Nothing very clever but more like what you'd find in a half hour show.
(I did think the whole Kardashian thing at the end was funny).

I'm curious what they're going to do with the little female hatchling.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Season 2 is shaping up nicely. The wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes.

stgislander

PREMO Member
No but I will check it out.

I don't have All Access, but I've cough snippets on YouTube. I'm reading quotes from life long Trekkies that it's not Star Trek in the vein of TOS, TNG, etc. Too dark (like the J.J Abrams movies) and breaks some of Roddenberry's basic canons.

There will be broadcast tv, but it will be PBS and channels that show "B" movies like Robot Holocaust, like I'm watching now...

SamSpade

(Sigh) Pretty soon all that will be left on broadcast TV are crappy reality shows and cop procedurals. Ten year from now there probably won't be anymore "broadcast" TV.

We've had Hulu for a while now - the GOOD thing about it is, it just went DOWN in price, unlike other services.
5.99 a month isn't horrible.

stgislander

PREMO Member
We've had Hulu for a while now - the GOOD thing about it is, it just went DOWN in price, unlike other services.
5.99 a month isn't horrible.
For as much as I'm paying ABB each month maybe that's the way to go. Drop broadcast TV altogether and go with streaming services.

SamSpade

For as much as I'm paying ABB each month maybe that's the way to go. Drop broadcast TV altogether and go with streaming services.
I'd REALLY like to - to be honest, the kids wouldn't notice at all - they watch everything online.
I just know I can't quite duplicate the convenience of pausing live TV and multi-room DVR.
Close, but not quite.