Homeless in Charlotte Hall

kalmd

Heard rumors of a homeless camp somewhere behind the Charlotte Hall Food Lion. Friend says one made snide comments to her when she wouldn't give him money when she was leaving the store. She didn't feel very safe because the guy was rude to her. Also heard they are crossing 235 right in front of traffic. Seems as if they are trying to be hit on purpose, probably to get some money if you hit them. Anyone else have any encounters? I see Food Lion losing business if people don't feel safe going to their store without being harassed by people asking for money.

black dog

Free America
I've seen many rag-tag people walking into and out of the woods behind Food Lion and in the woods all the way down to Rt6. Sometimes in the winter you can see a tent or two.
Same with the woods behind the Tobacco barn in Hughsville.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Let Food Lion know so they can roust them. You're right that people will stop shopping there if they get accosted by aggressive homeless people.

PJay

They are probably feeding from the dumpsters. Sad. Sounds like that area sure has changed.

luvmygdaughters

Make sure you tell the management if you are harassed by these people. They can call the cops and No Trespassing orders can be brought upon them. I never understood why a business would allow this on their property, I have been in St. Marys Square and complained to management of the stores. Nothing ever happens though.

Forkian

Heard rumors of a homeless camp somewhere behind the Charlotte Hall Food Lion. Friend says one made snide comments to her when she wouldn't give him money when she was leaving the store. She didn't feel very safe because the guy was rude to her. Also heard they are crossing 235 right in front of traffic. Seems as if they are trying to be hit on purpose, probably to get some money if you hit them. Anyone else have any encounters? I see Food Lion losing business if people don't feel safe going to their store without being harassed by people asking for money.

I also heard rumors that they have a rare type of rabies that you can catch if you make eye contact. Be very afraid!

glhs837

Power with Control
Make sure you tell the management if you are harassed by these people. They can call the cops and No Trespassing orders can be brought upon them. I never understood why a business would allow this on their property, I have been in St. Marys Square and complained to management of the stores. Nothing ever happens though.

You mean nothing other than the formation of the COPS unit, which routinely arrests folks for trespassing for there and the Millison Properties? Other than that, yep, nothing done. And yes, I frequent both places regularly. Lately, they big problem is the bike guy who frequents San Souci and Dicks and I think makes his way down to the Millison area.

luvmygdaughters

You mean nothing other than the formation of the COPS unit, which routinely arrests folks for trespassing for there and the Millison Properties? Other than that, yep, nothing done. And yes, I frequent both places regularly. Lately, they big problem is the bike guy who frequents San Souci and Dicks and I think makes his way down to the Millison area.

Forgot to mention the Wawa in Charlotte Hall also.

Clem72

Is this just a normal food lion thing? Besides Charlotte Hall, there are homeless behind the FL in Callaway. And also behind the FL on Great Mills Rd (ok, technically that's just South Essex, but close enough).

glhs837

Power with Control
Is this just a normal food lion thing? Besides Charlotte Hall, there are homeless behind the FL in Callaway. And also behind the FL on Great Mills Rd (ok, technically that's just South Essex, but close enough).

when you think about, it makes sense. Where else are you going to have as much concentrated food thrown out?

BernieP

Resident PIA
I also heard rumors that they have a rare type of rabies that you can catch if you make eye contact. Be very afraid!

I wonder if we need a poll here, how to "deal" with the problem?
A. shot them, like you would rats at the town dump.
B. poison the food supply to chase them away.

Am I missing any viable options you think the community might get behind?

frequentflier

happy to be living
when you think about, it makes sense. Where else are you going to have as much concentrated food thrown out?

I am grateful they are not behind the strip mall in Solomons. Driving through the alley every time I am there, it is unbelievable how much food Weis throws away. I watched a worker throw away dozens of large boxes of eggs one morning (and thought they sure could feed a lot of homeless or people in the shelters) The fruits and veggies could probably be used by local pig farmers.

unlisted

SMOOTHMARINE187

What do you mean "these people"? :shocking:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I am grateful they are not behind the strip mall in Solomons. Driving through the alley every time I am there, it is unbelievable how much food Weis throws away. I watched a worker throw away dozens of large boxes of eggs one morning (and thought they sure could feed a lot of homeless or people in the shelters) The fruits and veggies could probably be used by local pig farmers.

I do know that Weis (not sure if St Mary's Square or Callaway) donates a fair amount of food to the soup kitchen at St. Mary's Caring.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The ones doing the harassing?...if I was to hazard a guess.

I think he's just messing with her. Years ago I referred to blacks as "them" and was labelled a racist. What I posted pales in comparison to what those same people that called me racist, post today. They finally see the world through my eyes. I wasn't a racist, I was being a realist.

Having the "Ghetto Express" bus stop in the CH Food Lion parking lot also contributes to the concentration of homeless peeps.