La Rive Breton closing

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
From their FB page:

Dear friends of La Rive Breton,
Thank you all so much for your support and friendship since we opened last October. It's been an honor to welcome the wonderful people of this great community! Sadly however, we must close our doors following this Sunday's dinner. Please join us for these last few days! Tonight's dinner menu will be posted soon, and we'll be serving dinner through Sunday, with brunch Saturday and Sunday from 11-3.

https://www.facebook.com/larivebreton/

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Although I am sorry to hear this, I'm not that surprised. I only went a couple of times, but I found the menu pretty limited.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Although I am sorry to hear this, I'm not that surprised. I only went a couple of times, but I found the menu pretty limited.

Smaller establishments have to have pared down menus. Storage space is limited and the kitchen isn't the biggest. Better to do a few things very well than be all over the place and be mediocre. Not sure why this place didn't last. We can speculate on a lot of things but I bet it wasn't that they were making too much money.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Cafe des Artistes had a small menu and they did just fine. It's usually something other than menu that tanks these places - there are single-tasker restaurants all over America that stay in business for generations.

How was the food?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Cafe des Artistes had a small menu and they did just fine. It's usually something other than menu that tanks these places - there are single-tasker restaurants all over America that stay in business for generations. How was the food?

Cafe had a larger menu. You know I'm a foodie, too. But I wasn't overly impressed. Sad to say.

sparkyaclown

I can't really comment on the food because we never went. We had been excited over them opening up for months after Cafe Des Artistes closed. We would frequently go out of the way to the square to see if any progress was happening on getting it ready for business. When they finally did open we were completely disappointed in the menu. It just didn't appeal to us, it lacked variety. I get wanting to keep a small menu but theirs bordered on ridiculous. We kept watching the menu to see if they would have something that would appeal to us all but it usually ended up with one of us seeing something we wouldn't be opposed to trying while the rest of the family found nothing.

Clem72

How was the food?

Hate to be critical of local restaurants, but while our family enjoyed Café de Artistes a lot we never really had a great experience at La Rive. Slow service, younger staff that seemed preoccupied/too busy to notice an empty glass or stacked plates. The menu was very limited, and they were in my opinion overpriced. And what's with the 1 piece of bread appetizer. Either don't provide anything, or provide enough to actually serve the purpose. Doling out individual croutons like they are covered in gold leaf is ridiculous. Maybe the menu was inspired by the courses served in a traditional oubliette.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe the menu was inspired by the courses served in a traditional oubliette.

:lol:

I'm thinking there was some, um, misunderstanding among the owners. Typically it takes longer than a year for a new restaurant to find its footing, and this one was open, what, 9 months? I hope Loic and Kathleen sold it outright and got their money.