What a country

This_person

Sheriff Joe Arpaio enforces the law; activist judge says, "You can't do that enforcing the law crap"; Joe Arpaio enforces the law anyway; is convicted of contempt by another activist judge.

Think about that: we now have law enforcement convicted of a crime for...wait for it...enforcing the law.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-joe-arpaio-verdict-20170706-story.html

No, he's not in trouble for enforcing the law. He's in trouble for HOW he enforced the law. He went to areas where people are known to congregate doing something illegal, and found them doing illegal stuff. That's "profiling", and it will not be tolerated. "Did you just question my gender - er, nationality?"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No, he's not in trouble for enforcing the law. He's in trouble for HOW he enforced the law. He went to areas where people are known to congregate doing something illegal, and found them doing illegal stuff. That's "profiling", and it will not be tolerated. "Did you just question my gender - er, nationality?"

Like I said, he's in trouble for enforcing the law.

Hijinx

Like I said, he's in trouble for enforcing the law.

The problem is that so many people today do not want the law enforced.
Joe got fired because he crossed the liberals.
He put the prisoners in pink and camped them out in tents.

You Know. Treated them like prisoners. Not TV, no B-ball.
In a just society the judges should be tarred and feathered.

Seriously? What is it you want our police force to be doing if it isn't to patrol areas known for criminal activity and to arrest folks they find that are doing illegal stuff?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Seriously? What is it you want our police force to be doing if it isn't to patrol areas known for criminal activity and to arrest folks they find that are doing illegal stuff?

I think I detected a hint of sarcasm in his post...

I could be wrong though.

Chris0nllyn

You forgot creating citizen immigration enforcement teams, stealing documents from a defense attorney, arresting journalists critical of him, and spying on political opponents.

His antics caused Maricopa county jails to lose national accreditation. His antics lead a judge to rule that his immigration enforcement violates the constitution. It took 5 years of Arpaio essentially giving the courts the finger before they did anything. His antics caused taxpayers to pay over $100 million in legal costs defending him in court.

Then the people of his county spoke up and didn't re-elect him.

But, the DOJ is who charged him. Trump could potentially pardon him, I guess.

Wishbone

I'm fascinated here...> Why the #### do I care about "Accreditation" for Jails?

As long as the flotsam are miserable, deprived and busy breaking boulders into sand grains it's "approved" as far as I'm concerned.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
You forgot creating citizen immigration enforcement teams, stealing documents from a defense attorney, arresting journalists critical of him, and spying on political opponents.

His antics caused Maricopa county jails to lose national accreditation. His antics lead a judge to rule that his immigration enforcement violates the constitution. It took 5 years of Arpaio essentially giving the courts the finger before they did anything. His antics caused taxpayers to pay over $100 million in legal costs defending him in court.

That's not the point Genius. What did he do that was illegal in performing his job other than piss off some snowflake judge?

Chris0nllyn

That's not the point Genius. What did he do that was illegal in performing his job other than piss off some snowflake judge?

It certainly is the point. He's time and time again shown that he believes he is above the law. That he is the law.

He ignored a judge's direction and what happened to him would have happened to anyone else who ignored judge's orders. You can call it whatever you want, blame the judge, whatever, but he's the one without a job and facing contempt of court sentencing for ignoring the judge.

The Supreme Court struck down large parts of Arizon'a immigration law that allowed police to ask for papers of anyone they suspected of being illegal. The judge in that case (in 2011) found that he wasn't allowed to detain immigrants simply because of their status. Nor was he allowed to target people based on "race, color, or national-origin." He told his deputies to continue that practice for another year and a half.

He's corrupt and has no regard for the law. It's one thing to be tough, it's another to skirt the law and judge's orders for political gain. All while ignoring sexual assault cases, actively telling his deputies to break the law, ignoring businesses that hire illegals to work on the rich suburb home and focusing on farmers and fruit pickers, arresting and detaining US citizens that look hispanic, and everything I mentioned before.

He didn't like aspects of Obama's immigration policy. I get it, but it doesn't change the fact that he is not exempt from court orders.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It certainly is the point. He's time and time again shown that he believes he is above the law. That he is the law.

I'm not even sure how you can say that when he was convicted of a crime for enforcing existing laws. The laws were already there. The judge is the one who thought he, Judge Snow, was above the law.

Anyway, he has a right to a jury trial, so we'll see what happens.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'm fascinated here...> Why the #### do I care about "Accreditation" for Jails? As long as the flotsam are miserable, deprived and busy breaking boulders into sand grains it's "approved" as far as I'm concerned.

Improper use of word? Flotsam:

Also known as “flotsan”, the term “flotsam” refers to a sunken vessel whose goods float to the surface of the sea, or any floating cargo that is cast overboard. In terms of maritime law, the definition of flotsam pertains to goods that are floating on the surface of the water as the result of a wreck or an accident. As there is no clear way of defining ownership, one who discovers a flotsam is allowed to claim it, unless someone claims ownership to the items in question.

Hijinx

How did i know which side of this you would come down on? LMAO.

Sapidus

How did i know which side of this you would come down on? LMAO.

His antics caused taxpayers to pay over $100 million in legal costs defending him in court.

Isn't this what you are always harping on? Saving tax payers funds and local rights?

stgislander

PREMO Member
If I may ...

Improper use of word? Flotsam:

Also known as “flotsan”, the term “flotsam” refers to a sunken vessel whose goods float to the surface of the sea, or any floating cargo that is cast overboard. In terms of maritime law, the definition of flotsam pertains to goods that are floating on the surface of the water as the result of a wreck or an accident. As there is no clear way of defining ownership, one who discovers a flotsam is allowed to claim it, unless someone claims ownership to the items in question.

I think jetsam may be the better term.

Hijinx

His antics caused taxpayers to pay over $100 million in legal costs defending him in court.

Isn't this what you are always harping on? Saving tax payers funds and local rights?

And there is the Sap . Buddies forever. This is comedic.

Chris0nllyn

I'm not even sure how you can say that when he was convicted of a crime for enforcing existing laws. The laws were already there. The judge is the one who thought he, Judge Snow, was above the law.

Anyway, he has a right to a jury trial, so we'll see what happens.

I can say it based on his antics over the years. He wasn't enforcing laws. He was enforcing a law the Supreme Court struck down. He was targeting people, unconstitutionally, based on race and/or nationality. He ignored a judge's order and continued to do so after being told to stop. I personally do not believe a county Sheriff should be allowed to disregard a judge's ruling, but maybe it's just me.

The judge who ruled on this was a woman and it happened during his trial, which are both facts found in the article in the OP.
More than a month after lawyers wrapped up closing arguments, U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton found Arpaio guilty for defying a judge’s 2011 court order to refrain from racially profiling Latinos during patrols and turning them over to federal immigration authorities.

During the trial, which took place in a federal court in Phoenix, prosecutors argued that Arpaio intentionally violated the court order, which demanded his officers stop detaining people simply on the suspicion that they were in the country illegally — a practice that had led to the detention of some Latinos who were citizens or legal residents.