Fire Stick

mitzi

I finally made the plunge to the Firestick. A lot of it is great BUT why when I go to abc.com I have to put in my cable provider to watch anything. Wasn't that the purpose of the Firestick to not have cable? Any answers anyone?

mitzi

The networks don't play nicely with others. Sometimes they'll allow specific programs to stream, but mostly they want to go the way of the dinosaur and not take advantage of technology and modern TV viewing.

Here's a list of what you can watch with Fire Stick:

http://www.frugalrules.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-review/

Thanks. I looked for that and couldn't find it. I knew with CBS you had to pay. I'm just checking out the stations and I didn't expect this with ABC.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks. I looked for that and couldn't find it. I knew with CBS you had to pay. I'm just checking out the stations and I didn't expect this with ABC.

You have to wonder why they have such tunnel vision and don't want to keep up with the times. I think of them and the newspapers and such as dinosaur media. They'll be extinct in about 20 years.

PeoplesElbow

You can't blame Amazon or the stick, it is the content provider that does this, probably with some deal with the cable companies. BUT you would think any network that broadcasts over the air for free wouldn't mind streaming their channel live for free.

Clem72

You can't blame Amazon or the stick, it is the content provider that does this, probably with some deal with the cable companies. BUT you would think any network that broadcasts over the air for free wouldn't mind streaming their channel live for free.

Seems like that would be a no-brainer. More eyeballs means more add revenue, right? But for whatever reason they tend to fight tooth and nail against any distribution stream but their own.

For what it's worth, using Plex* with your Fire Stick (or Fire TV / Roku / etc.) will let you view the content provided on the CBS/ABC/NBC/etc. web pages for free. In the past that wasn't the best option as the quality was crap, but they are getting better.

mitzi

Assume you have internet since you have the fire stick...do a google search on "fire stick kodi"

Can't complain about the movie selection, etc. I am very disappointed with ABC though. I haven't even checked NBC yet, so don't know if that's the same. I mainly watch network shows, so this is disappointing.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I finally made the plunge to the Firestick. A lot of it is great BUT why when I go to abc.com I have to put in my cable provider to watch anything. Wasn't that the purpose of the Firestick to not have cable? Any answers anyone?

If you are watching Network shows.. channels that are generally "over the air" and free if you put an antenna on your house..

There is NO issue using KODI, and a service like SPINZTV..

It's an easy app to install, just takes some time to do depending on your upload speed.

Look for Kodi Krypton 17.3.. then look for directions to install SPINZTV Fury..

MR47930

If you are watching Network shows.. channels that are generally "over the air" and free if you put an antenna on your house..

There is NO issue using KODI, and a service like SPINZTV..

It's an easy app to install, just takes some time to do depending on your upload speed.

Look for Kodi Krypton 17.3.. then look for directions to install SPINZTV Fury..
:yay: