William and Kate- the new King and Queen

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm guessing with all the publicity because of the anniversary of Diana's death and reminding everyone just what ####bags the older Royals were to her, the Queen figured she didn't dare make the Rottweiler Queen or Brits would storm the castle and put her head on a pike.

Wishbone

I've always been perplexed by the amount of attention and adoration the U.K.'s royalty receive from Americans.

Clem72

I've always been perplexed by the amount of attention and adoration the U.K.'s royalty receive from Americans.

Seconded. Though I do now wonder (since it was brought up) if this is Title only or if Prince Charles will now be skipped over in inheriting the wealth (lands), and if so would that reduce him from Prince to just the Duke of Cornwall & Rothesay?

Wishbone

I wonder how many more decades the Brits are going to be able to afford their Human Pets.

The upkeep $$ on these folks has got to be incredible.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

For the same reason Americans give attention to any celebrity, except that the Royals actually do good works around the world and don't just entertain us.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I wonder how many more decades the Brits are going to be able to afford their Human Pets.

Just a few years ago they did an actuarial study on how well the upkeep of the Royals paid off. The tourist industry income only pays for their upkeep. Remember that the Royals own a great deal of real estate in the Empire. There's got to be a lot of income from "share croppers" and others who work the land.

Clem72

You're kidding, right? They own most of the national parks, monuments, and land. They let the state use them in exchange for some upkeep costs, but most of the money generated (like from tourism at the Tower of London) is returned to the state. The royals make the UK a ton of money, not the other way around.

Wishbone

Just a few years ago they did an actuarial study on how well the upkeep of the Royals paid off. The tourist industry income only pays for their upkeep. Remember that the Royals own a great deal of real estate in the Empire. There's got to be a lot of income from "share croppers" and others who work the land.

They still have land for the Serfs to work?

I would have expected their holdings to be ceremonial use only by now and the properties deeds belonging to the U.K. itself.

The royals make the UK a ton of money, not the other way around.

Yeah... Really don't get the attraction, but then we've got people here following the Kardashians so what the hell. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
but then we've got people here following the Kardashians so what the hell. :shrug:

Exactly.

People cry when some musician or actor I've never heard of dies. Well, I cried at Wills and Kate's wedding. So there.

I also cried when I heard that Diana had been killed, and throughout most of her funeral.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

The official number is that the royals cost Brits 62p per citizen. That's not factoring in any "return on investment" stuff...simply the money for their upkeep that comes from the treasury.

Hijinx

If having Royalty suits the Brits why should it bother Americans.

They like the costume balls and the play acting involved in the changing over, WTH, let them have their fun.

Their attitude of acceptance of Sharia is a lot more serious than hereditary Royalty.

Toxick

Splat

Same here.

That said, I was under the impression that Charles forfeited the throne as soon as he got a divorce. Isn't there some such rule (or whatever guiding influence dictates the behavior of royalty) that a divorcee cannot attain the crown.