Tornado warning Rotation ne4 Chap5ico Helen areas

Heading towards Leonardtown Hollyood. No funnel on ground spotted yet but radar has steady rotation. Its moving southeast at 10 mph.

Itsbob is going all out for his birthday celebration.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Heading towards Leonardtown Hollyood. No funnel on ground spotted yet but radar has steady rotation. Its moving southeast at 10 mph.

Itsbob is going all out for his birthday celebration.

That Bob! He never does anything half-assed!

officeguy

Dentsville / Penns Hill area in Chuck co got hit by 'something'. Lots of trees down and now flooding and road closures.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Dentsville / Penns Hill area in Chuck co got hit by 'something'. Lots of trees down and now flooding and road closures.

Chuck Co. was part of the warning when it first came on the air. But as they got more data the storm cell moved down into St. Mary's
There was another cell in Virginia that looked to be heading on the same track.

So likely they did get hit with something, maybe not a tornado, but some strong winds.
Oh and lots of freaking rain.

OldHillcrestGuy

After they come and survey the damage tomorrow I'll bet you it was a tornado. Trees down everywhere. They have just about every brush truck from Charles County and trucks from St. Mary's, PG and King George working out of a command post at the Dentsville EMS station clearing all the tree blocking the roadways. Came across the radio (scanner) a off duty Charles deputy got hit by lightning in his yard in the Penns Hill Rd area, ambulances had hard time getting there with all the trees blocking roads. Lucky for the deputy his only complaint was trouble breathing and numbness in his arms. He was transported to CRMC, that's Civista. Got over 2 inches of rain in Charlotte Hall in about 45 minutes from that storm. Got 4 1/2 inches from that storm Friday night. In the last month at my house I have measured probably close to 12-14 inches of rain in the gauge, it has overflowed more than once. Never can recall grass this green in August, cut last Wednesday and had to cut again on Sunday, and this time it piled up in places. Leaving for Myrtle Beach for 8 days on Thursday and I will probably hit it really quick on Wednesday before we go.

3CATSAILOR

One of these times there will be a tornado on the ground. They have so many warnings that people will ignore it and assume it is another in the air that hasn't touched down again.

littlelady

God bless the USA
One of these times there will be a tornado on the ground. They have so many warnings that people will ignore it and assume it is another in the air that hasn't touched down again.

That is interesting that you say that. We were in the eye of the tornado that hit LaPlata back in the day. Some of our trees were clipped at the top, and several houses on Sixes Road were destroyed. I don't think people realize because of the windy back roads, how close these towns are to each other. It is 'as the crow flies' thing. I am glad no one was hurt in the latest storm. I don't live there anymore, but Montgomery Cty is not exempt, either.

Just want to say again that I miss Calvert. Take care, y'all. :smile:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
We'll, they somehow formed an opinion of what 'something' was anyway:

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0817/nws-straight-line-winds-caused-damage.html

Straight line winds are totally different than tornadic activity. Just sayin'. The damage sucks, but they are two different things. And, you make me laugh that you would quote Baynet. Their articles are riddled with typos, and thank the Lord, they stopped that recording when going into their website, that lasted about two weeks. :killingme:

I check the Baynet every now and then to check on the peeps that I had to leave behind.

Last edited:

officeguy

Straight line winds are totally different than tornadic activity. Just sayin'.

How are they 'totally different' ?

. And, you make me laugh that you would quote Baynet. Their articles are riddled with typos, and thank the Lord, they stopped that recording when going into their website, that lasted about two weeks. :killingme:

I check the Baynet every now and then to check on the peeps that I had to leave behind.

SoMD is a black hole when it comes to news. It is a market with 250k viewers yet we have no useful news organization. The three websites have varying degrees of suckage, baynet happened to be the only one that carried a comment from NWS at the time.