What is SOMD rocks?

Hefe2019

Not bored, just some nice folks spreading some kindness and having some fun. Some people get it, others don't.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know some of the kids involved in that are having a lot of fun with it...and so are their parents.

lovinmaryland

I'm with you I don't really see the point. :confused: I'm not sure how finding a rock is spreading kindness but whatever to each their own. I guess painting them could be fun for the kids. :shrug:

On a side if you are not a fan of CONSTANT FB notifications do not...repeat...do not join the somd rocks fb page. Your FB will blow up ALL day! Someone added me to that group and it was too much for me I had to leave. Kinda reminded me a those freecycle pages on FB.

spinner

because it makes people smile when they find one. Because it puts art and good energy out into the world. Because it leads to people interacting, from families painting the rocks to people finding them. They might just look up from their phones. :] Because sometimes we forget that it is necessary to do something for no reason what so ever, just because. Like jumping in puddles or reading a trashy novel. Just because we can.

I belong to an art abandonment group on FB, it's all about leaving artwork to brighten someone's day. They can leave it, take it, or pass it on. I've been doing it for years.

I had heard about them just recently, but until yesterday had never found one. Yesterday I found 2 of em! They do make you smile when you find one!!! Someone at Great Mills will get lucky tonight...gonna give one to the sound designer for the GM band to plant tonight.

tipsymcgee

because it makes people smile when they find one. Because it puts art and good energy out into the world. Because it leads to people interacting, from families painting the rocks to people finding them. They might just look up from their phones. :] Because sometimes we forget that it is necessary to do something for no reason what so ever, just because. Like jumping in puddles or reading a trashy novel. Just because we can.

I belong to an art abandonment group on FB, it's all about leaving artwork to brighten someone's day. They can leave it, take it, or pass it on. I've been doing it for years.

Thanks for that explanation, Spinner. While it may seem pointless to some, it gives kids another reason to do art, to create, to look at a rock and think what shape it is and what they can create. Makes them use some imagination. We took some with us on a camping trip and hid around restaurants and the campground. Next day at the pool the kids could overhear a lady talking about their rocks and how she went on FB and found out about it, etc. We aren't the only place doing it. I do wish some parents would not tell everyone where they just hid them, though. I think it should be a surprise find like an easter egg.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I think it is a really great idea. I don't do FB, but curiosity got the best of me, so I looked it up through dot's account. A lot of the paintings are quite well done and imaginative. It is along the same line as looking for fossils, shards of pottery, and shark teeth; which we did a lot of over the years in Calvert. What a great thing for kids. They paint a rock, and put it somewhere for someone else to find it. Treasure hunt!

Maybe, they should put the date on the back; kind of like a time capsule thing,

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
A few have been left on the ledge of my store lately. I was grateful for the mother whose son brought one inside; for continuously telling him not to throw it (cuz he was wanting to). Little brat -I was ready to take it away from him...

Anyways, I know of a couple businesses that have offered free stuff and or discounts if found and brought into their stores- though my store is not a participant in that promotion.

As a gesture of kindness and making a total stranger smile, I think it is a great idea. There is too much ugliness in this world.

kalmd

I believe it started out as writing inspirational and positive messages on the rocks, and then someone would find it an be uplifted and hide the rock for someone else to find. Now it's morphed into drawing pictures and putting other random things on the rocks. Still a nice thought, but not really the original intent.

Hannibal

We got into this last week (me by accident). Family and I went to Brick for dinner and as we walked out, my 9 year old son said "Hey ..... it's one of those rocks!". I had no idea what he was talking about but my wife turned around and got all excited. Apparently they had seen it on Facebook and were well aware of what they were. I'd never heard of it. So he picked it up from under a bush at the front door and showed me a nicely painted blue rock (can't remember the design on it). We left and headed over to Walmart to get some things for the holiday weekend and stuck it under a bush in the parking lot. It was gone by the time we came back (30 mins).

Apparently Facebook has a page dedicated to these things and someone had commented (with picture) that they found it. And you could actually scroll back to see the history of this particular rock. It had been at the post office earlier that day. You could also see some of the other rocks and some of them are damn near artwork quality (beautiful backgrounds, SoMd themed pictures, etc.). Very well done.

Anyhow, as "meh" as I am about most things (especially anything Facebook related), I thought it was a pretty neat idea. The wife/kids loved it as it was both a treasure hunt and an interesting storyline. They also wanted to go home and paint some rocks to get in on the party. It definitely gets people involved in something community related and a bit bigger them themselves. For the kids, it gets them thinking about the world around them and gives them something to focus on other than their next Minecraft or Smelly Belly fix.

I think it was a great concept.

Lilypad

We got into this last week (me by accident). Family and I went to Brick for dinner and as we walked out, my 9 year old son said "Hey ..... it's one of those rocks!". I had no idea what he was talking about but my wife turned around and got all excited. Apparently they had seen it on Facebook and were well aware of what they were. I'd never heard of it. So he picked it up from under a bush at the front door and showed me a nicely painted blue rock (can't remember the design on it). We left and headed over to Walmart to get some things for the holiday weekend and stuck it under a bush in the parking lot. It was gone by the time we came back (30 mins).

Apparently Facebook has a page dedicated to these things and someone had commented (with picture) that they found it. And you could actually scroll back to see the history of this particular rock. It had been at the post office earlier that day. You could also see some of the other rocks and some of them are damn near artwork quality (beautiful backgrounds, SoMd themed pictures, etc.). Very well done.

Anyhow, as "meh" as I am about most things (especially anything Facebook related), I thought it was a pretty neat idea. The wife/kids loved it as it was both a treasure hunt and an interesting storyline. They also wanted to go home and paint some rocks to get in on the party. It definitely gets people involved in something community related and a bit bigger them themselves. For the kids, it gets them thinking about the world around them and gives them something to focus on other than their next Minecraft or Smelly Belly fix.

I think it was a great concept.

Me too...I find them everywhere, in the least likely locations.

mtnmama

So, they are there to be taken? Kept? Moved somewhere else for someone to find? All of the above? Had never heard of this, but then my son and I found 2 in the past 2 days, one at the Piney Point lighthouse and just found another a St. Mary's river. They were pretty, but we had no clue what (if anything) to do with them. I took pictures, and joined the Facebook group, but it wasn't quite clear what you're supposed to, like... do. I didn't know if it was kind of geocaching, with the trackables you're supposed to move.

Apparently I am overthinking this.