Landscaping Companies

I'm have a few companies provide estimates to top dress, slit seed, and aerate the dust bowl that is currently my back yard.

I've already had MRW here but also intend to ask Chavez Landscaping (out of LP city) and Southern Maryland Landscaping.

Anyone else you would recommend or avoid for service in Leonardtown? Thanks.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Not sure where you are, but we're South of the Base and use The Grass Canvas.. and are really happy with the results..

Further North my daughter works for a landscaping company out of PF.. not sure of the name as they were Scott's until last year.

They were the company that started with my yard, and was exceptionally happy with their results (even more so than the Grass Canvas) but when they started their own company and left Scott's they had their service area cut back.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I will add that we had the same company that mows and trims our yard (Nelson's Landscaping) do the slit seeding last year, and they were less than a 1/4 of the price everyone else quoted

I will add that we had the same company that mows and trims our yard (Nelson's Landscaping) do the slit seeding last year, and they were less than a 1/4 of the price everyone else quoted

Is the Pr. Frederick company now called "Natural Green Systems"?

Any contact info for your current lawn guys? The only search results I've found on the interweb for Nelson's Landscaping are 2 companies in Northern Maryland.

black dog

Free America
Is the Pr. Frederick company now called "Natural Green Systems"?

Any contact info for your current lawn guys? The only search results I've found on the interweb for Nelson's Landscaping are 2 companies in Northern Maryland.

I would say my opinion is, any company that works with the public in today's world that doesn't have even a basic website, is someone that I would not do business with.
Odds are someone who runs a business that doesn't have web presence most likely doesn't have insurance, workers comp, business licenses, maryland home improvement license and so on.
I will say I worked in the irrigation Industry in Maryland for 9-10 years, and the only lawn maintenance company I would recommend is MRW.
I worked side by side with them on hundreds of jobs and never a problem that I ever witnessed or was told of.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I would say my opinion is, any company that works with the public in today's world that doesn't have even a basic website, is someone that I would not do business with.
Odds are someone who runs a business that doesn't have web presence most likely doesn't have insurance, workers comp, business licenses, maryland home improvement license and so on.
I will say I worked in the irrigation Industry in Maryland for 9-10 years, and the only lawn maintenance company I would recommend is MRW.
I worked side by side with them on hundreds of jobs and never a problem that I ever witnessed or was told of.

Actually Nelsons is a small father son company.. Son works full time and does lawn care with his dad and a couple of other workers.. they aren't getting rich and provide awesome service for the amount we pay.

We have his business cards somewhere, I'll be sure to post his contact info tomorrow

black dog

Free America

Actually Nelsons is a small father son company.. Son works full time and does lawn care with his dad and a couple of other workers.. they aren't getting rich and provide awesome service for the amount we pay.

We have his business cards somewhere, I'll be sure to post his contact info tomorrow

I don't have anything against the Nelsons, I really don't. but in this day and age if one doesn't have a online presence, It ain't much of a business to the public. At minimum a bull$hit web page and a Facebook page...
And if they charge 1/4 of what everybody else charges, That in itself should sound the alarm.
They will not be in business long ( are they going to be in business next spring if the slice seeding is garbage and full of weeds? )
or they don't carry all the credentials that a business in Maryland is supposed to have.
I'm sure that the bigger boys pay less for all there materials that are used in a slice seeding, And if they only charge 25% of the other companys ( unless it fell out of the back of a delivery truck in Hobokin ) how do they pay wages to themselves and employees much less fuel, maintenance, workers comp, business insurance, State and Federal withholding and all the other monthly bills that come with being in business, Not to mention profit for the owners and for company growth...
Folks should be careful who they hire to work on their homes.
One of the good things about Maryland is there Home Improvement Commission and Laws.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Tommy/Wintergreen Landscaping. Tommy was awesome; you don't even know unless you meet him. If he is still in biz, give him a call. We used him for 4 years. I don't live in Calvert anymore.

410-474-2972. Tell him Robin sent you. :smile:

Last edited:

Please do!

ItsBob

ItsBob- were you ever able to find contact info for Nelsons?

black dog

Free America
ItsBob- were you ever able to find contact info for Nelsons?

Serious question, why would you even consider hiring a company that doesn't have a phone listing that pops up with a local landscape company search?
Wouldn't you think that in itself would be a red light to not having normal things that businesses have like insurance when they work on your property?
You do know that if you hire a company that doesn't have workers comp and business insurance and one of them gets hurt or proper of yours is damaged you in lost cases will bear the costs and other mitigating damages that happen..
You also can do a company search just to see if it really is a company.
I would suggest that you spend some time on Marylands Home Improvement Website.
Good Luck.

littlelady

God bless the USA
For anyone that lives in Montgomery County that follows this forum, I recommend Flint Rock Landscape & Services...301-675-7774.

Serious question, why would you even consider hiring a company that doesn't have a phone listing that pops up with a local landscape company search?
Wouldn't you think that in itself would be a red light to not having normal things that businesses have like insurance when they work on your property?
You do know that if you hire a company that doesn't have workers comp and business insurance and one of them gets hurt or proper of yours is damaged you in lost cases will bear the costs and other mitigating damages that happen..
Good Luck.

Again, thanks for your input.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Nelson's Landscaping ---> Jamie Nelson, at 240-561-1592

I use him because he provides an excellent service for a reasonable price. I don't give a rats ass if he has a web page or not.

black dog

Free America
Nelson's Landscaping ---> Jamie Nelson, at 240-561-1592

I use him because he provides an excellent service for a reasonable price. I don't give a rats ass if he has a web page or not.

Do you give a rats ass if he carries workers comp and business insurance?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Good Luck.
Are you against teen kids going around the neighborhood cutting grass?