TiVO Bolt and TiVo mini

SamSpade

I keep running into ads for these and I can't quite figure out if they're an option I might use. We have a lot of TVs and with all of the fees we pay, I am sure paying for a monthly subscription to TiVo would be worth it.

Anyone?

SamSpade

I keep trying to figure out how to get the same function I have with my DVR's from Metrocast - WITHOUT having to pay a few hundred a year to rent them.
Seems like a lot of money if I can just have the same functionality and just buy the equipment, right?

Has anyone used TiVo at all, with Metrocast?

sparkyaclown

I have a Tivo Bolt+ and a mini on Metrocast. You need a cable card for the Bolt+ which Metrocast will give you up to 2 of them free of charge. In order for the mini to work you need both to hook to your network (wired, wi-fi is not good enough). I used an electric line network adapter and setup a MOCA network off of that using a bridge. The bridge hooks between the line adapter and your coax. I believe the Bolt+ can create the MOCA without the need for the bridge, you just plug the coax in and plug in the network cable and you can set it up from there. You may want to invest in some MOCA POE filters also and put one on the cable modem and one on the cable coming into the house prior to it going through your splitter. So far I've had no issues with it. The mini works great. While they state you can have up to 10, you can't use all 10 at the same time. Whenever you are using a Mini is consumes a tuner on the Bolt. The Bolt has 4 tuners and the Bolt+ has 6. You pay a subscription for the Bolts but there is no subscription fee for the Mini. I've been using the Tivos for years now as Metrocast's multi-room DVR solution costs way more than subscribing to the Tivos. I had Premiers that I just upgraded from. I think they had paid for themselves within the first year with the savings I realized from having them as opposed to renting Metrocast's.

SamSpade

I have a Tivo Bolt+ and a mini on Metrocast. You need a cable card for the Bolt+ which Metrocast will give you up to 2 of them free of charge. In order for the mini to work you need both to hook to your network (wired, wi-fi is not good enough). I used an electric line network adapter and setup a MOCA network off of that using a bridge. The bridge hooks between the line adapter and your coax. I believe the Bolt+ can create the MOCA without the need for the bridge, you just plug the coax in and plug in the network cable and you can set it up from there. You may want to invest in some MOCA POE filters also and put one on the cable modem and one on the cable coming into the house prior to it going through your splitter. So far I've had no issues with it. The mini works great. While they state you can have up to 10, you can't use all 10 at the same time. Whenever you are using a Mini is consumes a tuner on the Bolt. The Bolt has 4 tuners and the Bolt+ has 6. You pay a subscription for the Bolts but there is no subscription fee for the Mini. I've been using the Tivos for years now as Metrocast's multi-room DVR solution costs way more than subscribing to the Tivos. I had Premiers that I just upgraded from. I think they had paid for themselves within the first year with the savings I realized from having them as opposed to renting Metrocast's.

This is great, thank you. Do you mind if I ask a few questions? This is mostly new to me.

WHAT I HAVE:

I currently have a multi-room DVR and three DVRs connected to it, although the ONLY reason I use the third one is to record six shows at once (since prime time all too often shows the best shows after 10 - and on the same night).
I've kept it on because if I drop the DVR and add the box - I'm saving, what, 7 bucks a month? Not worth the inconvenience.
BUT - we have like 7 TVs, 3 of which are fairly low use - one of those, almost never.
One is strictly wi-fi only. We have DVRs on three and the regular cable box on the other three.
So any TiVo set up would likely affect just those three - two, if I just stick with the cable box for the third TV currently using a DVR (it's the kid's TV, and they really don't care about recording shows).
I'm guessing it'd be best just to keep the cable boxes on the ones that have them now.

Right now the ones connected to cable use the existing network of coax cables which have been in the house forever.

QUESTION ONE - is that my MOCA network? Would I have to run a whole new set up cables through the house in place of the existing run of cables?
QUESTION TWO - what do you mean by an electric line network adapter? Is that like a power line adapter - using the power lines in your house for internet?
QUESTION THREE - Is TiVo running as a result of the cable - or is it strictly through the Internet? Does that make sense?
QUESTION FOUR - can you still do On Demand for movies and TV shows, like you can on Metrocast DVRs? I *have* Hulu and other Roku streaming, but in a pinch, Metrocast's On Demand feature is extremely convenient.

I'm guessing what I need is, one Bolt and two, possibly three minis. To replace the Metrocast devices, that saves me about 40-50 a month, meaning it would take about a year and a half to recoup the savings.

sparkyaclown

Probably too late for you, I had been busy lately and haven't had time to check back.

Q1: MOCA turns your existing coax wiring into a network. It runs at a different frequency than the cable so it doesn't interfere with the internet or TV being piped in by Metrocast.

Q2: Yes, powerline adapter

Q3: I think I know what you mean and it is as a result of cable, it does connect to the internet to get the TV schedule

Q4: I do not believe On-Demand works with Tivo although I've never tried it. I use VUDU for most of my streaming and you can rent from them also so similar to Metrocast's on-demand though I don't know how it compares cost-wise.