Traffic accident 235S @ Poplar Ridge Rd.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Bad accident.

I'd you need to get past Hermanville on 235S, you will need to cut across Hermanville to Route 5 and head south that way.

3CATSAILOR

Bad accident.

I'd you need to get past Hermanville on 235S, you will need to cut across Hermanville to Route 5 and head south that way.

I was told there was a fatality. Very sorry to hear that. Too many accidents. I have written so many threads about this type of thing, I am getting sick of it. May the deceased rest in peace. I pray that their loved ones find comfort with God and each other.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I was told there was a fatality. Very sorry to hear that. Too many accidents. I have written so many threads about this type of thing, I am getting sick of it. May the deceased rest in peace. I pray that their loved ones find comfort with God and each other.

Amen,

Let's put the blame where it belongs, the archaic traffic laws in Maryland and the free for all it fosters on the roads.

glhs837

Power with Control
Amen,

Let's put the blame where it belongs, the archaic traffic laws in Maryland and the free for all it fosters on the roads.

The pictures give 'rolled into a ball' a whole new meaning. One of the two was flying.

Given the lack of information, I'm not sure I could support either of those statements. Bernie, if we dont know how the crash happened, how can you know if the traffic laws contributed? OG, someone going 55-60 (I know the limit is 50, but I also know the average speed there) who hit a vehicle pulling out and therefore at almost zero could cause that level of damage (of course, we don't have clear pics of the damage to judge, I don't think). I'm gonna guess failure to yield ROW on the part of whatever that was in the ditch, but that's a guess.

officeguy

Given the lack of information, I'm not sure I could support either of those statements. Bernie, if we dont know how the crash happened, how can you know if the traffic laws contributed? OG, someone going 55-60 (I know the limit is 50, but I also know the average speed there) who hit a vehicle pulling out and therefore at almost zero could cause that level of damage (of course, we don't have clear pics of the damage to judge, I don't think). I'm gonna guess failure to yield ROW on the part of whatever that was in the ditch, but that's a guess.

I am sure the person who passed away started out driving a car that was 4ft long. Did you see the pictures/video of the wreckage ?

It is funny, on one hand you chastise us for drawing premature conclusions and then you turn around and make a wild ass guess that failure to yield by one particular party is to blame.

glhs837

Power with Control
I am sure the person who passed away started out driving a car that was 4ft long. Did you see the pictures/video of the wreckage ?

It is funny, on one hand you chastise us for drawing premature conclusions and then you turn around and make a wild ass guess that failure to yield by one particular party is to blame.

I did not see anything that made the other vehicle identifiable, maybe I missed one. What was it? I got maybe a vague impression it might be a pickup, but that's all, since it was mostly obscured by the grass in the ditch. The GMC was pretty bad, but nothing that a 55mph head on would cause.

Here's the difference, you both stated things as if they were facts, while I made quite clear that mine was just that, a guess. Based on knowledge of that area that is part of my commute and the knowledge that failure to to yield seems to make up the majority of our crashes here, but still a guess. Just last week, someone made a bonehead move on the other end of Poplar that resulted in the NB pickup truck coming in my direction to swerve into the SB lane, requiring me to get over into the breakdown lane. The bonehead slowed and turned left across the pickups path, but then turned parallel to the NB lane instead of into the driveway there. But then when the pickup was only a few caarlengths away, that bonehead pulled out into the NB travel lane. Could have been +50mph into the backend of a car doing 5mph, or head on into my bike doing 55 the other way. No adverse traffic laws or excessive speed needed.

glhs837

Power with Control
Turns out your guess was wrong. MSP press release is out.

I sure was. Head-ons happening far less often that ROW crashes, it was the way to bet, but I was wrong. That's some pretty crazy off course if you hit the other driver in their own breakdown lane. They were either completely not in the game ( medical emergency or just watching youtube) or they drifted across a bit, panicked, and got target locked on the other driver and "followed" them. Since the at fault vehicle is new enough to have a full blown "black box", they should get all the data.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/4237...-fatal-motor-vehicle-crash-in-lexington-park/

On scene investigation revealed a white GMC Terrain, operated by Sierra Yobani Hernandez,, 28, of Danville, VA, was traveling southbound on MD Route 235, north of Poplar Ridge Road when for an unknown reason the Terrain traveled head on into on-coming traffic. A second vehicle, a green Ford Ranger operated by Rhiannon Marie Griffin, 27, of California, MD, was traveling northbound on MD Route 235, south of Poplar Ridge Road. Based on statements made by witnesses, Griffin attempted to take evasive action to avoid being struck by the Terrain. Griffin attempted to pull to the shoulder of the road, but the Terrain continued onto the shoulder, striking the Ranger head on.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I sure was. Head-ons happening far less often that ROW crashes, it was the way to bet, but I was wrong. That's some pretty crazy off course if you hit the other driver in their own breakdown lane. They were either completely not in the game ( medical emergency or just watching youtube) or they drifted across a bit, panicked, and got target locked on the other driver and "followed" them. Since the at fault vehicle is new enough to have a full blown "black box", they should get all the data.
Texting while driving I'm tellin' ya.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Turns out your guess was wrong. MSP press release is out.

My guess was too.. I figured it was somebody turning north out of Poplar Ridge and didn't look to their right... thought they had pulled out to head North and somebody was coming South passing traffic..

According to the latest, I wasn't even close.

Not sure if it's the right person, but Rhiannon Griffin was the deceased, 27 years old.. according to Facebook (again, if its the same person) worked for BAE, recently separated from the Navy.

glhs837

Power with Control
Texting while driving I'm tellin' ya.

Could very well be, not telling unless the police release that information. I suspect maybe the beginning of it, followed a panicked overreaction, that target fixation I spoke of. In driving, you tend to go where you look. And if you are suddenly faced with an imminent impact, it's human nature to fixated on that threat, and so you end up driving right into whatever you should be avoiding.

My guess was too.. I figured it was somebody turning north out of Poplar Ridge and didn't look to their right... thought they had pulled out to head North and somebody was coming South passing traffic..

According to the latest, I wasn't even close.

Not sure if it's the right person, but Rhiannon Griffin was the deceased, 27 years old.. according to Facebook (again, if its the same person) worked for BAE, recently separated from the Navy.

I didn't figure on anyone passing on the left, since there is that most stupid of bypass lanes there, but I thought perhaps someone was waiting to turn left, another vehicle between that and the GMC suddenly swerved right into that bypass lane and left an out of town driver facing a stopped vehicle and no time to make a good choice. Or just someone making the left against oncoming and getting hit.

That spot is my number 2 danger zone in my commute, right after the intersection just north of there, that one puts me in full blow Final Destination mode.

glhs837

Power with Control
The GMC driver survived. I hope MSP subpoenas his cell and data records.

As for hitting someone in the oncoming breakdown lane or ditch, it happens more often than you would think.

I hope they do, and given it's a fatal crash, I'm pretty sure they will. Not sure about the gender though...... Does it happen that often? I dont recall that many cases down here. We did have that one a few weeks back, but that was same direction. I cant recall any other cases where someone crossed not just the centerline but also the whole other lane to hit someone.

officeguy

I hope they do, and given it's a fatal crash, I'm pretty sure they will. Not sure about the gender though...... Does it happen that often? I dont recall that many cases down here. We did have that one a few weeks back, but that was same direction. I cant recall any other cases where someone crossed not just the centerline but also the whole other lane to hit someone.

For the gender, I just went off the identical wording in the somd.com, smnewsnet and baynet articles.

I have found a head-on in a field 30ft off the road before. As you said further up, at some point target fixation sets in.

glhs837

Power with Control
For the gender, I just went off the identical wording in the somd.com, smnewsnet and baynet articles.

I have found a head-on in a field 30ft off the road before. As you said further up, at some point target fixation sets in.

Did any of them ascribe a gender to that name? I might have missed that, I'll admit.

As for the head on 30 feet in the field, are you talking about that lady who managed to find the freaking hay bale right near Rt 5 and Park Hall? I remember that one. But I cant recall any local cases of someone crossing the centerline and doing a head on in the opposing shoulder. In one sense, you are right, it does happen more often than I think, since it's happened at least once, and thats one more than I would think :)