FWIW - Aldis chisels on sale this week

Popster

Aldis has a set of wood chisels on sale this week. $6.99! Spend an hour properly sharpening them and you will have a set that will last a lifetime. You can spend $200 or more or get these high quality tools!

black dog

Free America
My son bought his grandfather a set a few years ago for his birthday. My dad tends to work with exotic woods alot and him saying it takes time to really sharpen them, but it's been a great gift.

Now me.... A six dollar set of chisels doesn't gather enough dust or look as good buried on a shelf like a 200 dollar set in the shop..
20170914_172605.jpg

I wish 20 years ago Aldi's sold them.

PeoplesElbow

Those Freud chisels?

I have a Pfeil that I found along the road while riding my bike a few years back, no idea how you lose a chisel along the road but also had no idea so many people drank liquor from mini bottles either until I started biking.

black dog

Free America
Yes they are. Full disclosure is my ex worked for Lowe's selling kitchen cabinets 20 years? ago and as a employee you could buy at 2% over cost.
At that time Lowe's stocked buttloads of Freud cutting tools. I bought well, when they stopped selling Freud I bought the display rack of router bits ( 75+ ) and a bunch of different 10" saw blades. The best deal on tools I got was a 4' Record wood lathe for 300 bucks.. I gave it to my dad..

PeoplesElbow

Cool, never even knew Frued made chisels.

I don't remember Lowes selling Freud, before the time I had an interest in such things. The Irwin Marples stuff is probably the best woodworking stuff they sell now.

black dog

Free America
They did a bunch of medium and high end woodworking tools for a few years in the early nineties. It's hard to find a store that sells quality woodworking tools, I have a rockler? and a woodcraft stores about a hour from me so mostly when something is needed I just order it off the web.
My son has been using more of my wood tools the last few years than me, I have a Powermatic 66 tablesaw that hasn't been spun in 5+ years.:sadface:
I just don't have the time for another hobbie at this point in life.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They did a bunch of medium and high end woodworking tools for a few years in the early nineties. It's hard to find a store that sells quality woodworking tools, I have a rockler? and a woodcraft stores about a hour from me so mostly when something is needed I just order it off the web.
My son has been using more of my wood tools the last few years than me, I have a Powermatic 66 tablesaw that hasn't been spun in 5+ years.:sadface:
I just don't have the time for another hobbie at this point in life.

I hear ya. My little wood shop is almost entirely populated with 1960s and 1970s vintage Craftsman equipment ...a couple Delta Rockwell products and a German scroll saw excepted. You can't buy this kind of stuff any more.. ;-( And my son has shown little interest in any of it...

wood shop.jpg wood shop (2).jpg

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

I hear ya. My little wood shop is almost entirely populated with 1960s vintage Craftsman equipment ...a couple Delta Rockwell products and a German scroll saw excepted. You can't buy this kind of stuff any more.. ;-( And my son has shown little interest in any of it...

View attachment 119974 View attachment 119975

I just sold that exact craftsman table saw for $75 to get rid of it after I bought a new Delta. I was amazed how hard it was to sell, it was in great condition.

That scroll saw a Hegner?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I just sold that exact craftsman table saw for $75 to get rid of it after I bought a new Delta. I was amazed how hard it was to sell, it was in great condition.

That scroll saw a Hegner?

Yep..A Hegner..good eye.

That table saw is a beast. It must weight 200 pounds. Cast iron table..as you would know. I put a 3.5 HP 220V motor on it.

Radial arm saw, band saw, big table saw, joiner, and the compound miter saw are all Craftsman. Drill press and wood lathe are Delta Rockwell. Small table saw is a POS Skil. Table router/shaper is Bosch.

Friend of mine in 7D was trying to sell a Craftsman radial arm, table saw and band saw all for $300!!! no takers. What the heck is with this generation of no-skill people?

Last edited:

Popster

I also have a lot of old machinery. My core machine is an old AMT 12" table saw with a 52" Vega fence. I have a new garage/shop that is super insulated, has epoxy on floor and painted sheet rock. My problem is that I have been tasked with making vanities, cupboards, bookcases, huge light boxes, etc, etc. I never had a chance to set up the shop or totally move out of the old one. Therefore I work on sawhorses, big box that holds m yet to be assembled tool chest. I bet I spend a third of my time looking for tools and shuffling stuff about. It's sad that I don't feel one bit less frustrated after complaining about it.

I'll have to put off projects and get it organized
!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Scrolling isn't my thing but I almost bought one at an auction a few years ago but there was one other person there that knew what it was worth.

They are amazing. My wife uses it for making her laminated wood figures more than I use it for..well..anything.

black dog

Free America
I also have a lot of old machinery. My core machine is an old AMT 12" table saw with a 52" Vega fence. I have a new garage/shop that is super insulated, has epoxy on floor and painted sheet rock. My problem is that I have been tasked with making vanities, cupboards, bookcases, huge light boxes, etc, etc. I never had a chance to set up the shop or totally move out of the old one. Therefore I work on sawhorses, big box that holds m yet to be assembled tool chest. I bet I spend a third of my time looking for tools and shuffling stuff about. It's sad that I don't feel one bit less frustrated after complaining about it.

!

Most of my big equipment is Powermatic ( a 66 cabinet saw, 8" jointer and a 15" planner and my other is Delta Commercial line, a 20" bandsaw, and lathe. And a 24" Craftsman Scroll. It's a double arm with a huge table that had great rating when Sears sold it, I don't know who built them for Sears back then.

I started with a 12" Powermatic tablesaw with 6' worth of cast iron table but it was way more saw than I would ever need or use so I kept the extra cast ext and sold it for what I paid for a new 66 with the 52" biesemeyer fence. If I was to do it over again I would get the Vega micro adj fence. I like that thumb wheels.. it beats bumping the fence back and forth.

black dog

Free America
Yep..A Hegner..good eye.

That table saw is a beast. It must weight 200 pounds. Cast iron table..as you would know. I put a 3.5 HP 220V motor on it.

Radial arm saw, band saw, big table saw, joiner, and the compound miter saw are all Craftsman. Drill press and wood lathe are Delta Rockwell. Small table saw is a POS Skil. Table router/shaper is Bosch.

Friend of mine in 7D was trying to sell a Craftsman radial arm, table saw and band saw all for $300!!! no takers. What the heck is with this generation of no-skill people?

That's a very nice scroll saw, I used mine alot for bird houses my ex and mother always asked me to build for them.
I'm hoping when my kid gets older and buys a home or moves to the farm he puts it all back to work.

littlelady

God bless the USA

!

Hub just bought a set of chisels at Home Depot, and could take back. The patriarch of our new extended family, is a master at sharpening knives, etc. He is constantly asking if we need our knives sharpened. I say nope, we're good. Our knives are so sharp after he got ahold of them, that I am lucky I have my fingers! :lol:I will tell hub about the price at Aldi. The closest Aldi to us is Silver Spring. My daddy had a craftsman shop smith. I spent many an hour with him in the garage, and learned a lot. Sad to say, none of us children could take it 20 years ago when he died. I miss him so much, still. I thank him for all he taught me.

Popster

Most of my big equipment is Powermatic ( a 66 cabinet saw, 8" jointer and a 15" planner and my other is Delta Commercial line, a 20" bandsaw, and lathe. And a 24" Craftsman Scroll. It's a double arm with a huge table that had great rating when Sears sold it, I don't know who built them for Sears back then.

I started with a 12" Powermatic tablesaw with 6' worth of cast iron table but it was way more saw than I would ever need or use so I kept the extra cast ext and sold it for what I paid for a new 66 with the 52" biesemeyer fence. If I was to do it over again I would get the Vega micro adj fence. I like that thumb wheels.. it beats bumping the fence back and forth.

The Powermatic line is rock solid. I agree on the Vega fince, it is a dream to work with. I may have an opportunity to get an old (1980's) Powermatic 8" joiinter and 15" planner at a good price. Problem is that they are 3 phase and I would have to add the cost of new motors to the price. I am an amateur woodworker and my present old cast iron jointer (6") and 12" planner are probably sufficient for my needs. I will see if the price comes in really low.

All that being said, the best tool purchase I have made in the last 10 years is a set of self centering drill bits. They are an incredible time saver.