Neil deGrasse Tyson: Lincoln Was Pro-Science Back in... 1963?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Celebrity scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson appeared on CNN, Sunday, to lecture those he deemed too stupid to accept the linkage of climate change to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Proving he should stick to science on TV, deGrasse pompously botched history: “Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president, signed into law in 1963 — a year when he had important things to be thinking about — the National Academy of Sciences.”

Of course, Lincoln had been dead for 98 years in 1963. (The bill creating the National Academy of Science was signed by Lincoln on March 3, 1863.) Tyson added, “Because he knew that science mattered and should matter in governance.” History and getting your dates right also matter.

Later, Tyson offered the ultimate doom and gloom on climate change: “I worry that we might not be able to recover from this because all our greatest cities are on the oceans and water's edges, historically, for commerce and transportation.”

The celebrity scientist flat-out linked the hurricanes to climate change:

I think this 50 inches of — I can't even picture -- how many rain drops was that? Fifty inches of rain in Houston, this is — this is a shot across our bow. A hurricane the width of Florida, going up the center of Florida — these are shots across our bow.

What — what will it take for people to recognize that a community of scientists are learning objective truths about the natural world and that you can benefit from knowing about it?

CNN Howler: Abraham Lincoln Was Pro-Science Back in... 1963?

h3mech

hate the dude, he took away Pluto

Celebrity scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson appeared on CNN, Sunday, to lecture those he deemed too stupid to accept the linkage of climate change to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Proving he should stick to science on TV, deGrasse pompously botched history: “Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president, signed into law in 1963 — a year when he had important things to be thinking about — the National Academy of Sciences.”

Of course, Lincoln had been dead for 98 years in 1963. (The bill creating the National Academy of Science was signed by Lincoln on March 3, 1863.) Tyson added, “Because he knew that science mattered and should matter in governance.” History and getting your dates right also matter.

Later, Tyson offered the ultimate doom and gloom on climate change: “I worry that we might not be able to recover from this because all our greatest cities are on the oceans and water's edges, historically, for commerce and transportation.”

The celebrity scientist flat-out linked the hurricanes to climate change:

I think this 50 inches of — I can't even picture -- how many rain drops was that? Fifty inches of rain in Houston, this is — this is a shot across our bow. A hurricane the width of Florida, going up the center of Florida — these are shots across our bow.

What — what will it take for people to recognize that a community of scientists are learning objective truths about the natural world and that you can benefit from knowing about it?

CNN Howler: Abraham Lincoln Was Pro-Science Back in... 1963?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
He's just another fraud; looking out for fellow frauds who feed only on the AGW government-funded "research" tests.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
have you FINALLY Gotten around to finishing that project

Which one? I've always got too danged many going at the same time. Several, including the Pantera, are sort of "on hold" because I got tired of trying to do body and paint work in the machine and welding shop area. Makes a terrible mess. We're currently adding a 20 x 54 addition to the backside of the main shop building you've been to, solely for body and paint work, complete with a professional-grade air-filtered paint booth (even though I'm far from a pro at spray painting...I'll bring in some outside talent for the final paint) . Has it's own separate garage door entrance too...no way to get paint and body mess in the main shop.

terbear1225

I dont necessarily agree with the guy's interpretation of things but it is a bit much in my mind to vilify him for an obvious slip of the tongue on what I presume was live tv.

Toxick

Splat
Celebrity scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson appeared on CNN, Sunday, to lecture those he deemed too stupid to accept the linkage of climate change to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

One of my few complaints about this guy. I really like him - except for his Left-Wingish tendency to ridicule skeptics of politically driven science hype. In particular: Global Warming.

because all our greatest cities are on the oceans and water's edges, historically, for commerce and transportation.”

New York.
Los Angeles.
Miami.
Baltimore.
Boston.

#### 'em.

The only problem I have with any of these toilet bowls falling into the Ocean is that they'd dirty up the ocean.
Not like they don't already.