Living shoreline projects

Wishbone

Didn't read the budget to see what this costs but I'm sure it's far too much.

The Chesapeake area has been shedding islands since the 17th century. It's not gonna stop.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Didn't read the budget to see what this costs but I'm sure it's far too much.

The Chesapeake area has been shedding islands since the 17th century. It's not gonna stop.

It's a good program with some pretty successful projects already under it's belt.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/cmp/docs/20170227-ls-summit/bhaskar-nj-workshop.pdf

The north and west (river facing) sides of the island are already fully armored with heavy stone. The living shoreline project will be executed on the southern and eastern facing shoreline.

black dog

Free America
A few years back they did lots of living plant material and a few stone jetties on the east side of Dr Verts property at the end of Trent Hall. The jetties are a great place now for light line fall rockfish.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A few years back they did lots of living plant material and a few stone jetties on the east side of Dr Verts property at the end of Trent Hall. The jetties are a great place now for light line fall rockfish.

When you apply to do any kind of shoreline erosion control these days, the "living shoreline" options are about all that will be considered except under very limited circumstances. My place is protected by the "sill with marsh behind it" technique and that is also what will be used on the St. Catherine's Island project.

tipsymcgee

When you apply to do any kind of shoreline erosion control these days, the "living shoreline" options are about all that will be considered except under very limited circumstances. My place is protected by the "sill with marsh behind it" technique and that is also what will be used on the St. Catherine's Island project.

Yes, is the rule that if you have an old bulkhead or stone revetment that you can replace it, but any "new" construction where there was nothing before has to do living shoreline?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yes, is the rule that if you have an old bulkhead or stone revetment that you can replace it, but any "new" construction where there was nothing before has to do living shoreline?

It's dealt with on a case by case basis. Even if you have an existing failed bulkhead, they'll review the application and the site to try and find alternative protective measures that comply with the living shoreline criteria. There are a coupled of good diagrams on DNR's web site that is dedicated to the living shoreline implementations and it has project approval guidelines well laid out.

I've been told by some of the marine construction company owners that I know that bulkhead construction is almost completely gone as a permitted option these days. That meshes with what is posted on the DNR info site. Our next door neighbor had a composite driven bulkhead put in about 6" in front of his failing wood bulkhead; maybe 3 years ago. The owner of the company, a friend of mine, told me, after I expressed my surprise at seeing the method being used: "that's it...that's the last one of those seawalls we'll ever put in. The permit for this one was pretty old and you'll never get one now".

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
When we had our rock wall re furbed the guys that did it came in and moved the first stones on the 30th of June because the new law went into effect on 1 July of that year. I think that was 5 or 6 years ago. My BIL had rock put in at his place and as a happy circumstance it became a living shoreline by accident.

3CATSAILOR

Meanwhile, the State or Fed Gov. allows themselves to dump old concrete bridges in to the Bay and call it a reef.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Meanwhile, the State or Fed Gov. allows themselves to dump old concrete bridges in to the Bay and call it a reef.

And? Be very specific about the environmental problems you know about something like that. Meanwhile...I'll continue to woek directly with MDE, DNR, and various contractors ...like the ones involved in finding beneficial uses of the massive quantities of dredge materials that will come from the new bridge across the Potomac