That's a LOT of oil...

Clem72

According to these guys if we pumped every last drop it would only last for 12 years, and each layer gets progressively more expensive. This doesn't honestly sound better to me than the shale oil (and certainly not a greater amount). The Sauds would probably jump with joy if we only had 12 years of oil left.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
According to these guys if we pumped every last drop it would only last for 12 years, and each layer gets progressively more expensive. This doesn't honestly sound better to me than the shale oil (and certainly not a greater amount). The Sauds would probably jump with joy if we only had 12 years of oil left.

The "12 years" example was intended only to provide illustration of the sheer magnitude of the reserves. In practice, based on how it's actually going to be extracted over time, it could be 100 years...and certainly 40 or 50. Just that one deposit.

glhs837

Power with Control

There's this
Additional oil zones may be uncovered as analysis continues

And of course, that's if every refinery in the entire US were only refining oil from this reserve. I think in reality that there are a lot of refineries busy with other sources of oil, so that this isn't a 12 year supply in reality.