California Wants To Ban All Gas Cars By 2040

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
According to the Sacramento Bee, California State Assemblyman Phil Ting, a San Francisco Democrat, will introduce a bill to the state legislature that would "ban the sale of new cars fueled by internal-combustion engines after 2040." Since the market has failed to entice consumers into buying electric cars, Ting feels it is now necessary for the state to force them into it.

“The market is moving this way. The entire world is moving this way,” Ting said. “At some point you need to set a goal and put a line in the sand.”

Back in 2012, California put forth a plan to have a fleet of 1.5 million “zero-emission vehicles” by 2025 in hopes that electric and hybrid vehicles will make up 15% of all new car sales. The results thus far have been dismal, since consumers want "prices to drop and battery ranges to improve."

California Wants To Ban All Gas Cars By 2040

I guess Cali will be come the Cuba of Internal Combustion Cars .... they should ban gas stations and parts for repair as well

Rommey

...ban the sale of new cars fueled by internal-combustion engines after 2040
So if this were to pass, I guess the only people it would really hurt are the car dealers, since they are only banning the sale in California. That won't address the millions of cars already owned in California, nor the used car market, nor sales in neighboring states (I guess they could stop registering cars bought in other states) but I doubt they could effectively do much to stop the number of cars in California.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Ban Gas-Powered Cars? California Is Thinking About It

It isn’t enough for California to contemplate its own state-run single payer health care system that would require, at a minimum, tripling the state budget. Now a lawmaker wants to have the state ban gasoline-powered cars by the year 2040. I certainly hope California follows through and tries this. If nothing else, it will provide wonderful black market opportunities. Think of all the meth labs that will convert to mini-refineries, not to mention the smuggling. It is doubtful we can legally confiscate existing cars, so look for California’s rolling stock to become the equivalent of all those 57 Chevys and Buicks we see on the streets of Havana.

Such a scheme assumes widespread availability of electric cars. Maybe this will happen in the fullness of time, but has anyone considered how to supply the massive amount of electricity to charge 25 or 30 million vehicles in California? It’s not just the total amount of electricity, but also transmission and fast-charging capacity that will need to be built at our current filling stations. A Canadian engineer has walked through the math of the subject, and concludes that to match the energy equivalent of a typical gasoline filling station today, an electric filling station would have to have the 30 megawatts of capacity, equivalent to the electricity use of 20,000 homes.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Doubt there will be a shortage of parts, given almost anything can be ordered online.

when it becomes to much of a hassle ... people will give up

besides liberals will ban the import of repair parts ... no taking your vehicle to Vegas for repairs

It's not that far fetched. Auto makers are already saying that the future of cars is electric. They're heading in that direction anyway.

There will always be a market for gas cars. Remember how loudly everyone shouted when emission systems were introduced? But many of those cars are still running with Historic tags. They'll never go away completely. Those that want one will have one.