Getting Rid of Bats

OldHillcrestGuy

I may have bats in my attic. While cleaning the vinyl siding and when the water hit the end vent a bat came flying out, don't know if it was just up in louvers of the vent or somehow the vent screen has come off. Don't want to open the attic door and get hit by a bunch of bats. Is there something that can done the easy way to get rid of them. Was up there about 4 weeks ago and didn't encounter any.

Sure you want to get rid of them? Very beneficial, and knock down the bug population.

Maybe put up bat houses on the outside of the building so they don't have to go into the attic or thru the gables.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I remembered this thread when I ran across some articles about the decline of the bat population. Thought it was interesting news and wanted to post. Come to think of it, I don't see bats at twilight, anymore, catching the bugs. Sad.

***If you come across Indiana Bats in your attic or elsewhere on your property, contact Mid-Atlantic Wildlife Control to have them safely removed and relocated to a more suitable habitat.***

http://www.midatlanticwildlifecontrol.com/indiana-bats-of-maryland/

http://www.journalnow.com/news/ask_...cle_b4d4f421-b908-565a-b32b-ab846d32a0a3.html

Q: Where have the bats gone? My backyard has always had hundreds of bats circling high overhead in the evenings, however in the last two years I’ve noticed a significant decline in number. Along with that we have had a influx of moths. Is there a connection? And what can be done about moths if the bats aren’t around to feed on them?

A.P.

Answer: “While I’m not sure the degree to which the reader’s bats are gone, it is well documented that many bat populations in the U.S. have been declining due to human disturbance of hibernacula (the places where bats seek refuge) and maternity colonies, but more recently and problematically due to an emergent fungal disease,” said James Tomberlin, a mountain region wildlife biologist with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission.

White nose syndrome is a disease named for the white fungus that appears on the muzzles of hibernating bats.

Other symptoms include bats flying outside during the day in cold temperatures; bats clustered near the entrance of the hibernacula; and dead or dying bats on the ground or on buildings, trees or other structures.

It was first discovered in New York back in 2006 and was detected in North Carolina during Wildlife Resource Commission bat monitoring work in 2011, he said.

“This disease is most prominent in our mountain counties and has resulted in some local bat populations declining by as much as 99 percent. Unfortunately, the first case of white nose syndrome was detected in Stokes County this past winter and marks the farthest east record in North Carolina.”

He said that the Wildlife Resource Commission, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, North Carolina State Parks and volunteers are partnering to expand monitoring efforts in the Piedmont and coastal counties to document and ascertain the scope of this disease across North Carolina.

More...

If you come across Indiana Bats in your attic or elsewhere on your property, contact Mid-Atlantic Wildlife Control to have them safely removed and relocated to a more suitable habitat.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

They like dark and hot, get rid of that environment and they will leave. You still will have a #### ton of bat #### to clean up.

Can wait for them to leave at night and eliminate their way in so they can't get back in.