Watermelon gift gets fireman fired

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
He should have contacted Rachel Dolezal first as to what the appropriate gift would have been.

[FONT=&quot]41-year-old Robert Pattison went to introduce himself to his fellow firefighters at Engine 55 at Joy and Southfield in Detroit. Second Battalion Chief Shawn McCarty calls it a tradition for firefighters.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And Pattison, a probationary firefighter, decided to bring a watermelon wrapped in a pink ribbon. We're told some African-American firefighters were instantly offended, since 90 percent of the people who work at Engine 55 are black.

good thing he left the fried chicken in the truck
[/FONT]

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Some guy had four watermelon on a table beside Route 249 the other day.

I called it in to the sheriff's office.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Stop it. Even I know that watermelon can have a racial connotation, and I'm fairly oblivious to that sort of thing. If they were having a potluck dinner and someone brought watermelon salad - not racial. Bringing a gift wrapped whole watermelon to a black person for no apparent reason is indeed racial. It's unlikely the dumbass meant to be offensive and more likely that he thought it would be a funny joke, but it was obviously meant in a racial way and he cannot be surprised that other black firemen took offense.

This_person

Stop it. Even I know that watermelon can have a racial connotation, and I'm fairly oblivious to that sort of thing. If they were having a potluck dinner and someone brought watermelon salad - not racial. Bringing a gift wrapped whole watermelon to a black person for no apparent reason is indeed racial. It's unlikely the dumbass meant to be offensive and more likely that he thought it would be a funny joke, but it was obviously meant in a racial way and he cannot be surprised that other black firemen took offense.

It wasn't "No apparent reason," it was an introduction gift.

It isn't obvious to me that it was racially motivated.

That said, it was a dumb gift just for the potential some idiot would feign offense.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It wasn't "No apparent reason," it was an introduction gift.

It isn't obvious to me that it was racially motivated.

That said, it was a dumb gift just for the potential some idiot would feign offense.

Oh please. When was the last time you received a gift wrapped watermelon as a present? Or gave one? Or ever even heard of doing that? That's ridiculous.

Grumpy

If the wannabee firefighter had been black, there would have been laughter and a good time had by all.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I got an assortment of cheeses once and there were crackers in the box!

CRACKERS!!!!

:burning:

Hijinx

It's Bullsh1t is what it is.
Joke or not it's BS to fire a Probie because he brought this ignorant pack of Racist blacks a watermelon.
Eat the ####ing thing and enjoy it.

Grown men getting offended over a freaking watermelon
Thank God I don't have to work with this pack of poor embittered azzholes.

PsyOps

Pixelated
You people are so far behind in American culture and trends. Be cool and be offended by something.