10% of US Army soldiers are overweight & undeployable

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
What are they putting in those MREs?

More than 10 percent of the service is overweight, deeming them unfit to deploy.
The Army is trying to shore up some of its injury and health problems through a new Occupational Physical Assessment Test. The test is part of the recruiting process and determines if the recruit meets the physical demands consistent with a soldier’s specialty.

go big or go home

b23hqb

PREMO Member
So there are occupations that are fat boy acceptable? Forget that. Start and implement a mandatory Fat Boy/Girl program to make sure all occupations are deployable, and if said person fails to meet requirements, then they get discharged, and lose all applicable benefits. Can't have two separate Armys, right? I read the article, and it sounds like they are trying to find ways to appease those not meeting standards, and essentially dissing those who do the heavy lifting.

You can exceed body fat by those very basic calculations the military uses, and still be very fit and able to perform your assigned duties. I know - I exceeded the body fat "calculations" and failed to make the required 196 lbs by about five lbs every year for 21 years in the reserves, yet I aced the semi-annual PRT's, far exceeding the minimal push ups, sit ups, and always coming in 4-5 minutes UNDER the max allowable time for the 1.5 mile run for my age group, the last being the 45 - 50 year old group.

All you have to do is work at it a bit.

Being undeployable is unsat and discriminating to those that have to go.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Start and implement a mandatory Fat Boy/Girl program to make sure all occupations are deployable, and if said person fails to meet requirements, then they get discharged, and lose all applicable benefits.

when did this change :shrug:

AFAIK this was SOP when I was in 84 / 88

hell send them to A-Stan they will lose weight

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I guess things changed in the "don't ask don't tell" age of modern PC nanny state military.