Deceptive billing at tidewater

Just thought I would bring this to the attention of the forums. In case anyone else was unaware of how things are at Tidewater after their change of ownership.

A few months back I was told by a dentist at Tidewater in Lexington Park that I should see the orthodontist, and that they could get me a no cost consultation. I agreed, and they scheduled it. I went to the consultation, the orthodontist's assistant took pictures of my mouth and x-rays before I saw the doctor as part of their standard procedure for consultations even though I insisted I only had a few questions for the doctor. This didn't bother me too much as I figured in general the doctor can't be expected to know what the patients needs are without seeing what problems they may have. After seeing the doctor we agreed that orthodontics likely won't fix my issue and I may need to see an oral surgeon at some point in the future.

That was that, or so I thought.

I recently received a bill for almost $300 for this visit. When I called to ask about it, they said that while the consultation was free the imagery taken during the consult was not. The imagery that had to be taken before I was even able to see the doctor and ask any questions is apparently not part of the "consultation". And since my insurance wouldn't pay for it (I don't have dental insurance, I was planning to pay for any work out of pocket if necessary) they say I am responsible.

This is absolutely reprehensible behavior and I will not be returning to Tidewater and I will recommend to everyone I know that they should also avoid these people. In my opinion they are crooks, and if I had the time, knowledge, and the patience to pursue this in small claims court I would. And if you do go to Tidewater and are comfortable with their service and care, please keep this in mind if they recommend you take any "free" consultations with their associates and have them put it in writing that it will be no-cost to include any imagery or labs.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Part of the reason we went with an independent practice (Dr Wood); avoid "chains" when possible.

Part of the reason we went with an independent practice (Dr Wood); avoid "chains" when possible.

I have had a couple of recommendations, but the couple established independent practice dentists I have contacted are not taking new patients. I take that as a good sign, they are busy and aren't motivated by money alone to try and cram more people into the same amount of office hours. I would love it if someone could PM me a good dentist in the Leonardtown area that is taking on new patients.

jen8753

I have garlic breath.
I recently started using St. Mary's Dental in Mechanicsville and they are wonderful. Very nice people, professional, open late on Wednesdays and I've never had to wait longer than 5 minutes to be seen.

glhs837

Power with Control
when did this change of ownership happen? I have been using them for a couple of years now with no problems, but my wife recently shifted over this last fall and she's not been happy.

jtomcsik

A message from Tidewater Dental

GeorgiaCorgi:
This is Jeff Tomcsik the General Manager for Tidewater Dental. I am truly sorry that you were mislead in regards to the charges for the x-rays you incurred. As you know the x-rays are necessary for the doctor to make an educated decision in regards to your dental health and treatment. That said, you should have been informed as to the cost prior to the procedure. Perhaps the assistant assumed that you had dental insurance and your insurance would cover the cost of the x-rays. If this was the case, the failure was on our part for not doing the proper research to know that your x-rays were not covered. I would be happy to make this right, if you would please contact me personally.

In regards to the statement about Tidewater ownership, I can assure you that Dr. Cooper is still 100% owner of each of our four Tidewater Dental practices. Also, in regards to the "crooks" comment, I am sorry you feel this way about us, but if we were crooks, wouldn't we have recommended the orthodontia and not referred you out to an unaffiliated practice for oral surgery. I understand you are upset, but I assure you we are not crooks and do everything we can to insure that all of our patients get the best and safest care possible in a clean and sterile environment.

Again, please contact me at 301-862-3900 and we can discuss further.

My Best,
Jeff Tomcsik

Just thought I would bring this to the attention of the forums. In case anyone else was unaware of how things are at Tidewater after their change of ownership.

A few months back I was told by a dentist at Tidewater in Lexington Park that I should see the orthodontist, and that they could get me a no cost consultation. I agreed, and they scheduled it. I went to the consultation, the orthodontist's assistant took pictures of my mouth and x-rays before I saw the doctor as part of their standard procedure for consultations even though I insisted I only had a few questions for the doctor. This didn't bother me too much as I figured in general the doctor can't be expected to know what the patients needs are without seeing what problems they may have. After seeing the doctor we agreed that orthodontics likely won't fix my issue and I may need to see an oral surgeon at some point in the future.

That was that, or so I thought.

I recently received a bill for almost $300 for this visit. When I called to ask about it, they said that while the consultation was free the imagery taken during the consult was not. The imagery that had to be taken before I was even able to see the doctor and ask any questions is apparently not part of the "consultation". And since my insurance wouldn't pay for it (I don't have dental insurance, I was planning to pay for any work out of pocket if necessary) they say I am responsible.

This is absolutely reprehensible behavior and I will not be returning to Tidewater and I will recommend to everyone I know that they should also avoid these people. In my opinion they are crooks, and if I had the time, knowledge, and the patience to pursue this in small claims court I would. And if you do go to Tidewater and are comfortable with their service and care, please keep this in mind if they recommend you take any "free" consultations with their associates and have them put it in writing that it will be no-cost to include any imagery or labs.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I recently started using St. Mary's Dental in Mechanicsville and they are wonderful. Very nice people, professional, open late on Wednesdays and I've never had to wait longer than 5 minutes to be seen.
That's where I go, I have never had an issue which them. If it makes any difference to you it's an all female office.

RetiredCPO

GeorgiaCorgi:
This is Jeff Tomcsik the General Manager for Tidewater Dental. I am truly sorry that you were mislead in regards to the charges for the x-rays you incurred. As you know the x-rays are necessary for the doctor to make an educated decision in regards to your dental health and treatment. That said, you should have been informed as to the cost prior to the procedure. Perhaps the assistant assumed that you had dental insurance and your insurance would cover the cost of the x-rays. If this was the case, the failure was on our part for not doing the proper research to know that your x-rays were not covered. I would be happy to make this right, if you would please contact me personally.

In regards to the statement about Tidewater ownership, I can assure you that Dr. Cooper is still 100% owner of each of our four Tidewater Dental practices. Also, in regards to the "crooks" comment, I am sorry you feel this way about us, but if we were crooks, wouldn't we have recommended the orthodontia and not referred you out to an unaffiliated practice for oral surgery. I understand you are upset, but I assure you we are not crooks and do everything we can to insure that all of our patients get the best and safest care possible in a clean and sterile environment.

Again, please contact me at 301-862-3900 and we can discuss further.

My Best,
Jeff Tomcsik

Mr. Tomcsik,
You are crooks! For the 3 years my family used your facility in Lex Park, not once were we or our insurance provider billed correctly! It was only after many phone calls that the billing error which was always an overcharge from what was quoted was resolved. In addition, being a 54 year young man, I think I know better as to what my dental history is than a dental technician who has only seen my record once in their life. I know what I want done and don't need to be "sold" on procedures that are not only unnecessary, they are down right criminal for being suggested in the first place. I received better dental treatment during my 24 years of active duty in the Navy and will continue to tell anyone who asks to stay away from your establishment!

black dog

Free America
images (38).jpg

jtomcsik

I'm sorry you feel that way and I respectfully disagree with your post. All of our recommendations for treatment are based on ADA standard of care and evidence from diagnostic procedures such as X-Rays, exams, and probings. While I am sure you think you know what's best for your mouth, I can unequivocally guarantee you there is not a dentist on earth that would agree with you. All dentists go through years of study and practice to be the experts on knowing the condition of your teeth and oral health. The recommendations they make are in an effort to educate you on your personal situation and the likely outcomes of not taking their recommendations vs. receiving treatment. Some dental treatment recommendations are preventative (long term preservation of teeth and oral health) and others are restorative (fix what's broke).