BJ's

SamSpade

I've begun to doubt why I should bother anymore, but the truth is, I haven't spent much time trying to look for bargains there anymore.

IF you belong, what do you usually buy there?

For me, it's pretty much - gas, water bottles, pool chemicals, books and toys. Sometimes clothes, but I haven't really looked over their selection since they put more out there.

I used to regularly buy things like diapers and wipes (kids are all bigger now), dog food (no dogs anymore) and kid's snacks and lunch materials (they all buy at school).
A couple things I do like - for example, Verizon is in there, and I'd rather deal with them there than in the mess that is always their stores.
Another is when I do actually need a lot of things I can't always get elsewhere, like folding chairs, paper supplies and large canisters of spices.
SOMETIMES getting tech type things there is convenient, like some office supplies, a computer monitor and batteries.

But now that I've shopped here for a while, many places here regularly beat their prices - cleaning supplies I can get cheaper at the dollar stores,
food is almost ALWAYS cheaper elsewhere if I look for bargains, and I shop at Aldi's and other places for quick cheap things (e.g. pumpkins, GOOD size, 3.49 apiece).

Again - if you belong, why do you go there? Cheaper rotisserie chickens?

Clem72

I buy bulk OTC medicine and vitamins there. Milk/Almond Milk/Eggs. Sometimes buy the supplement drinks like Ensure. The meat department isn't necessarily cheaper, but its probably got the nicest steaks close by (5.99/lb ribeyes at Weis aren't a deal when they are only 0.5 inches thick and turning green). Toilet paper and paper towels as well on occasion.

Regular food items, clothing, tech items all seem to be same price or worse than other big box stores or Amazon.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

I know someone who does go there for the chickens. :whistle:

Anyway, one of my favorite things is asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and that is the only place I can get a big package of it that is sliced thin. I did buy a Samsung 32" TV there a couple of months ago and no one else could match the price. Lots of other stuff I get there: stuff to make for parties, love their trail mix, bulk items like batteries, etc. Their selection isn't wide like Walmart but then again I don't have to troupe over God's half acre to find stuff.

BJ's is like any other place. Do your research and know your prices.

SamSpade

I buy bulk OTC medicine and vitamins there. Milk/Almond Milk/Eggs. Sometimes buy the supplement drinks like Ensure. The meat department isn't necessarily cheaper, but its probably got the nicest steaks close by (5.99/lb ribeyes at Weis aren't a deal when they are only 0.5 inches thick and turning green). Toilet paper and paper towels as well on occasion.

Regular food items, clothing, tech items all seem to be same price or worse than other big box stores or Amazon.

My wife has often tried to persuade me that if I was going to belong to a store like that - it should be Costco. Sadly, the nearest one is in Waldorf, and I need a good reason to waste gas just to shop there.
I used to buy vitamins at BJs, but it became a waste of time. The only way I could get my son (who's probably the only one of my kids who really needs them) was to give them in gummies, and he learned about
a year ago that he could just open the bottle and chow down on them. Since he won't take the pills willingly, I've decided to just forego them. I probably should reconsider, but I don't know of many children's vitamins
that aren't actually in the form of candy.

I used to buy chicken at BJ's but I have found other stores - even *Giant* - can match their prices, and Aldi's regularly beats them.
Ditto with sales on things like pork loins, and I can buy whole pigs and have them cut up for cheaper than a number of stores.

Since I don't care if some things are name brand or not, I'm content with knock off versions of paper towels and TP, although I had to make a few mistakes first.
And I am surprised that sometimes, the gas prices don't differ by more than a couple pennies.

The MAIN reason I go now is - the big water bottles. They're cheaper than every other place out there, and the vouchers for turning in old bottles are given at the front.
I wish I had a nickel for every one of those water bottle return machines like at Lowe's that wasn't working, and I'd have to go inside, wait, and get a ticket.
What's the point? I used to buy them years ago at the McKay's in Wildewood, but once their machine broke down, they NEVER fixed it.

SamSpade

Lots of other stuff I get there: stuff to make for parties,

That IS true. I don't know of any other place where I can get sternos in bulk cheap enough - large aluminum foil type trays for party stuff, and we bought our folding tables and chairs there.
Also, every spring we buy our pool chemicals there - no one can match their price, not even Ollies and certainly not Lowes or the pool places.

frequentflier

happy to be living
One of my biggest issues with BJ's is that we pay to be a member and still have to clip coupons to get extra savings. That is just wrong!!

For the home, rarely do I buy produce from them but their meats are usually good and we stock up on frozen chicken breasts, chicken picatta :)drool:), pizzas. Our deep freezer was recently defrosted and we will probably make a run and stock up for the winter. Sometimes I buy vitamins there but watch the dates closely. In the past, I bought expired vitamins there and when I returned them, they seemed to care less.

For the store, I usually shop there for laundry soap, paper towels, TP. Used to buy ink cartridges there -much cheaper than Staples. But we have changed printers and can only buy them at Staples.

When on that side of the bridge, I buy gas there.

lovinmaryland

I can't stand BJ's. I have card there for work and really only use it for the gas discount. Costco is like a million times better than BJ's so I go there 2-3 times a month for our big shopping trips (chips, meats, veggies, seafood, dairy, etc...) If for some reason I don't have time to make it to Costco I have gone into BJ's and it just really sucks. Their prices are higher and the selection and quality is just not as good as what we get at Costco.

lovinmaryland

One of my biggest issues with BJ's is that we pay to be a member and still have to clip coupons to get extra savings. That is just wrong!!

^^^^THIS^^^

Like seriously what a pain! Costco has specials every month too and you don't need to clip any coupons. They mail out the book showing you what is on sale and how much you are saving. When you get to the register w/ your items the discount is automatically applied no need for coupons.

Also let me just go on and on about their samples. Friday-Sunday they pretty much have at least 10-12 different sample ladies passing out yummy stuff. They aren't chincy w/ the samples either, they are unlimited you can get as many as you want! I love that...so do the kids.

warneckutz

For the home, rarely do I buy produce from them but their meats are usually good and we stock up on frozen chicken breasts, chicken picatta :)drool:), pizzas. Our deep freezer was recently defrosted and we will probably make a run and stock up for the winter. Sometimes I buy vitamins there but watch the dates closely. In the past, I bought expired vitamins there and when I returned them, they seemed to care less.

For the store, I usually shop there for laundry soap, paper towels, TP. Used to buy ink cartridges there -much cheaper than Staples. But we have changed printers and can only buy them at Staples.

When on that side of the bridge, I buy gas there.

use the same coupon twice on self checkout... ;)

ReadingTheNews

use the same coupon twice on self checkout... ;)

How do you do that, since the coupon has to be dropped in that little slot after it's scanned?

I go there for meats, nuts and trail mixes, diet supplement shakes, and various other things. But I do agree with what many here have already said: they really aren't that much chaeper than some other places. It is convenient to get larger sizes of some items and know I won't run out of them nearly as often, but every once in a while - especially around 'renewal time' :jet: - I think about letting the membership lapse.

I buy big bulk stuff there, like TP and paper towels. In the meats, they carry the Purdue chicken parts pre-vacuum sealed in individual packets of 4 per pack, 6 packs together. Saves me the trouble of vacuum sealing it myself, and when I need a pack of 4 is usually just right. Price is decent too, and very few other stores carry it this way.

I get propane refills there, too. Anywhere from $9 to $13 for a 20lb refill, vs $25 for an exchange anywhere else.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I mostly still have a membership because 1. we got a $35 membership with military discount (I was about to drop it last year for $50) and 2. The convenience of a couple items we need in bulk: frozen broccoli, olive oil, frozen waffles, frozen and fresh chicken (also one the few places with boneless skinless thighs for less than $2/lb!) that's about it. I'd be all over Costco if it was even just 15 mins closer. I just can't get up to that side of Waldorf enough to justify it. We typically stock up the freezer twice a year and then I'll stop by for something specific 3-4 other times.

One time we got a nice storage bench for our entryway there for $99. Other comparables were almost $150. So that was nice. And when I wanted a Ninja Coffee Bar, it was $30 cheaper at BJs. :bigwhoop:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I've begun to doubt why I should bother anymore, but the truth is, I haven't spent much time trying to look for bargains there anymore.

For me, it's pretty much - gas, water bottles, pool chemicals, books and toys. Sometimes clothes, but I haven't really looked over their selection since they put more out there.

I used to regularly buy things like diapers and wipes (kids are all bigger now), dog food (no dogs anymore) and kid's snacks and lunch materials (they all buy at school).
A couple things I do like - for example, Verizon is in there, and I'd rather deal with them there than in the mess that is always their stores.
Another is when I do actually need a lot of things I can't always get elsewhere, like folding chairs, paper supplies and large canisters of spices.
SOMETIMES getting tech type things there is convenient, like some office supplies, a computer monitor and batteries.

But now that I've shopped here for a while, many places here regularly beat their prices - cleaning supplies I can get cheaper at the dollar stores,
food is almost ALWAYS cheaper elsewhere if I look for bargains, and I shop at Aldi's and other places for quick cheap things (e.g. pumpkins, GOOD size, 3.49 apiece).

Tires. Saved enough on 2 cars worth of tires to make up for buying the membership plus they were in stock.

PeoplesElbow

Deli cheese is about half the price per lb vs walmart or shoppers. That alone pays for my membership for the year.

Otherwise gas, propane, paper towels, toilet paper, and laundry detergent.

littlelady

God bless the USA

I have never joined the ‘big’ stores. If one shops smart at a grocery store, they are not needed. And, not shopping at the ‘big’ stores keeps other chains in business. I like that the people that work in the store I go to (Giant) are very personable, and want to be helpful; they, also, like to chat about this, that, or the other. It is amazing that the Prince Fred manager I used to know, is now the manager in Olney. Small world! As far as rotisserie chickens, they have many uses. They are 4.99 at Giant. How much are they at BJ’s?

CRHS89

There are enough things that are cheaper than my usual grocery store that I feel it is worth it. Plus I like being able to buy in bulk and then not have to think about it again for along time. My main purchases are gas, meat, milk, eggs, and paper products.

warneckutz

How do you do that, since the coupon has to be dropped in that little slot after it's scanned?

I go there for meats, nuts and trail mixes, diet supplement shakes, and various other things. But I do agree with what many here have already said: they really aren't that much chaeper than some other places. It is convenient to get larger sizes of some items and know I won't run out of them nearly as often, but every once in a while - especially around 'renewal time' :jet: - I think about letting the membership lapse.

Just throw in a coupon you're not going to use...

SamSpade

Deli cheese is about half the price per lb vs walmart or shoppers.

Pretty sure it's even cheaper at Aldi's.

I know what helps me is knowing what day the weekly special starts at the regular stores. Aldi's kicks over on Wednesdays; Giant, on Thursdays.
McKay's sometimes bends either way on the weekly specials - I've heard managers say they'll still honor it the next day.

But that means also that mark-downs are slightly more plentiful the day BEFORE the end of the cycle.
Also, if you get there right after opening or just as they're loading the meats in the morning - the markdowns are all at once.
I once got a whole bunch of those grass-fed ground beef things at Aldi's for about a buck a piece.

I might look into a Costco membership IF I can find a way to make it worth the cost if I only go a few times a year.
You know, stock up on a big trip but otherwise ignore it.

PeoplesElbow

Pretty sure it's even cheaper at Aldi's.

While I love Aldi's unique cheeses they don't do fresh cut and they dont have Land O Lakes yellow American 3.99/lb at BJ's 6.99 elsewhere. Nothing is better melted on a burger or breakfast sandwich.

I also have not found the D&W honey coated maple turkey breast anywhere else.

Last edited: