Lexington Park named one of the richest cities in America

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Lexington Park, MD – Lexington Park is once again being named one of the richest cities in America.

The latest determination was made by 24/7 Wall St. The financial news and opinion company ranked Lexington Park as number 10 on the list of the richest cities in the country. The report says Lexington Park has an average annual household income of $78,195 and a median home a value of $307,900.

The report also concluded Lexington Park’s unemployment level of 3.8 percent was below the national average of 4.4 percent.

Incomes in the United States are at one the highest levels ever recorded with a national average of $59,039 a year.

The richest cities were ranked based on a number of factors including household incomes, home values, cost of living and unemployment rates.

Here’s the list of the top ten Richest cities in America:

1. San Jose, CA
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Washington, DC
4. Bridgeport, CT
5. Boston, MA
6. Anchorage, AK
7. Honolulu, HI
8. Oxnard, CA
9. Seattle, WA
10. Lexington Park, MD

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1...med-one-of-the-richest-cities-in-america.html

So I looked at the actual article on "24/7 Wall St." and it specifies "California-Lexington Park" for the list. Hmm...

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2017/10/24/americas-richest-cities-5/5/

BernieP

Resident PIA
If anyone believes any of these click-bait stories they should commit suicide (successfully).
I think I've seen Baltimore listed as one of the safest cities in the US. What was it the other day, the top whatever and 50 percent of the towns named were in one state.
If you need any proof that this story in particular is bull dung, take a look at the Elementary Schools that serve the area. I believe at least 2 of the 5 are Title 1 schools - I think that's the program, the other three have enough title 1 students to qualify for grants.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wanna live in Lex Park and send my kids to Great Mills-said No One Ever

EVER.

I don't know how they come up with these silly results, but there's no way in hell that Lex Park is one of the richest cities in American. No way in hell. Anyone who actually lives there or is familiar with it knows this.

Clem72

There are lot's of nice houses that technically are in Lexington Park, though I am sure they send their kids to private schools. All of the properties down the road behind Chipotle come to mind (probably 500k+ homes on average).

Somehow the property taxes on those homes isn't enough to keep the schools from being bottom of the barrel though.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

Actually I moved from Jax, FL to SOMD late last century. My son's schooling was exponentially better even though he attended GMHS. Depends on where you've come from. In the big picture it's a far cry from anything found in Baltimore county. Compared to the other county high schools, sure it appear scary.

Clem72

There are lot's of nice houses that technically are in Lexington Park, though I am sure they send their kids to private schools. All of the properties down the road behind Chipotle come to mind (probably 500k+ homes on average).

Somehow the property taxes on those homes isn't enough to keep the schools from being bottom of the barrel though.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
No way does Anchorage, AK belong on the list either. It's not some gleaming metropolis more like average small city with many run down parts of town.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm sure the house prices in my subdivision (and the careers of the homeowners) help skew the numbers.
We're in Pembrooke, off Willows Road, listed as part of the Lexington Park Designated Census Area.

glhs837

Power with Control

Oddly enough, quite a few folks do. My little four acre slice of forested heaven is in Lexington Park. and my kids did just fine at GMHS. As did the kids of quite a few folks I know whose incomes did a good bit to make that average as high as it is. So, yes, quite a few people say that. Lexington Park is far more than the area off of Great Mills Road, you know.

black dog

Free America
I'm sure the house prices in my subdivision (and the careers of the homeowners) help skew the numbers.
We're in Pembrooke, off Willows Road, listed as part of the Lexington Park Designated Census Area.

Let's put it in perspective, The median home value in Bethesda is $829,400..
Bethesda's median family income in 2011 was $184,606,
Lexington Park median is nowhere near that..
Hundreds of city's crush LP on housing prices and incomes.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Maybe a per capita thing?

That's what I would think, everyone that is employed their was included in the numbers.
Even if they head north on 235 & Rt4 at 5:01pm.

That's what it sounds like to me.

To determine the richest cities in America, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2016 American Community Survey. We identified the 25 U.S. metropolitan statistical areas with the highest median household incomes. Poverty rates, median home values, and educational attainment also came from the ACS. Unemployment rates are from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and are as of August 2017, the most recent period for which data is available. Cost of living by metro area, or regional price parity, is for 2015 and came from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2017/10/24/americas-richest-cities-5/7/