SMECO scam

imaref

This morning I got a call from an 888 number I didn't recognize, so I didn't pick up. Looked up the number and it came back to SMECO (888-440-3311).

I called SMECO to see if they had called me, and they had not. The customer service rep said they have been getting bombarded with calls all morning about people receiving scam calls that either show the number above, or it shows up as SMECO on caller ID.

Just wanted to make others aware.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think we have had this discussion before. DO NOT RELY on caller ID. It's being spoofed on a regular basis.
Listen carefully, then hang up. Ask for a callback number and the name of a supervisor.
Most offers come in the mail, with instructions on how to contact "them" - being the vendor, SMECO, Cable, Phone, etc.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I think we have had this discussion before. DO NOT RELY on caller ID. It's being spoofed on a regular basis.
Listen carefully, then hang up. Ask for a callback number and the name of a supervisor.
Most offers come in the mail, with instructions on how to contact "them" - being the vendor, SMECO, Cable, Phone, etc.
That's the smart thing to do; the callback# and supervisor name. Another is; when someone calls, trying to sell you something or trying to get you to sign up for something over the phone, just say, 'If you send me something in the mail, I'll be able to make a more informed decision; but I will not commit to anything over the phone.' If you are met with a fumbling for words, or 'this offer is only available.....,' hang up. :shrug: