20 year old fire extinguishers

softtouch

I have two small 20 year old First Alert extinguishers. The green test buttons on top still pop up.
Should I trust them to be ok?

They are out of date, and should be replaced.

That said, KIDDE has just issued a recall for millions of extinguishers with plastic parts that fail to work when needed.

Check the KIDDE website and see if they have been recalled. If not, hang on to them a bit longer until newer ones become available.

officeguy

They are pressurized containers so don't just toss them in the trash. Check with your local fire department, they may be able to use them for a safety demonstration or drill.

They are pressurized containers so don't just toss them in the trash. Check with your local fire department, they may be able to use them for a safety demonstration or drill.

If not that, contact Tennyson Fire 3010-863-2139. They recycle the powder and dispose of unusable parts. They took about 10 old un-rechargeable units from me.

mdff21

Non-rechargeable fire extinguishers are to be removed from service 12 years from the date of manufacture. The OP says they are First Alert fire extinguishers not Kidde fire extinguishers. They are two different manufacturers.