NJ and VA governor elections show progress toward marijuana reform

Chris0nllyn

New Jersey became the seventh state in the country where Democrats now control the legislative and executive branches with the election on Tuesday of Philip D. Murphy, a former Wall Street banker with no experience in office, as its 56th governor.

Mr. Murphy, who promoted a liberal future for New Jersey with a $15 minimum wage, the legalization of marijuana and a vow to stand up to Mr. Trump, represents a shift in the state’s reputation for electing moderate governors and makes it a deeper shade of blue.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/nyregion/phil-murphy-governor.html

With Murphy replacing vocal cannabis opponent Chris Christie (R) as governor, New Jersey is poised to potentially become the first state to allow legal recreational marijuana sales with an act of its legislature, as opposed to by voters through a ballot measure.

Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D) is "committed" to bringing up a legalization bill early in 2018. "We are going to have a new governor in January 2018," he said. "As soon as the governor gets situated we are all here and we intend to move quickly on it."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomangell/2017/11/08/marijuana-won-tuesdays-election/#257df1c09950

Ralph Northam isn't as on the bandwagon as Philip Murphy but believes,

We need to change sentencing laws that disproportionately hurt people of color. One of the best ways to do this is to decriminalize marijuana. African Americans are 2.8 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession in Virginia. The Commonwealth spends more than $67 million on marijuana enforcement — money that could be better spent on rehabilitation.

As a doctor, I’m becoming increasingly convinced by the data showing potential health benefits of marijuana, such as pain relief, drug-resistant epilepsy, and treatment for PTSD. By decriminalizing it, our researchers can better study the plant so doctors can more effectively prescribe drugs made from it.
https://medium.com/@RalphNortham/a-more-fair-and-just-virginia-5616664acb6a

nutz

As a doctor, I’m becoming increasingly convinced by the data showing potential health benefits of marijuana, such as pain relief, drug-resistant epilepsy, and treatment for PTSD.

Exactly what data? Polls and surveys from "High Times"....BS, there isn't any data to prove that marijuana in any form, is good for you. It's right on par with vaping, feel good but....

Chris0nllyn

Exactly what data? Polls and surveys from "High Times"....BS, there isn't any data to prove that marijuana in any form, is good for you. It's right on par with vaping, feel good but....

First, you should understand that federal grant funding issued to marijuana studies goes mostly toward determining the downsides. Only 6% of them study the benefits.

But to say that no data exists is false. Is it the miracle, all-healing, plant? No, but no one is claiming that.

The old adage about Glaucoma, from a study done by the NIH:
Studies in the early 1970s showed that marijuana, when smoked, lowered intraocular pressure (IOP) in people with normal pressure and those with glaucoma. In an effort to determine whether marijuana, or drugs derived from marijuana, might be effective as a glaucoma treatment, the National Eye Institute (NEI) supported research studies beginning in 1978. These studies demonstrated that some derivatives of marijuana transiently lowered IOP when administered orally, intravenously, or by smoking, but not when topically applied to the eye.
https://nei.nih.gov/news/statements/marij

Marijuana isn't linked to lung damage per a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association:
Occasional and low cumulative marijuana use was not associated with adverse effects on pulmonary function.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1104848

It helps with seizures, both epileptic (published in the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics) and Dravet's Syndrome:
The cannabinoids were very effective anticonvulsants in this model at a concentration that did not produce sedation but completely abolished seizures. Phenobarbital and phenytoin at very high concentrations were not as effective. Thus, treatment of animals with phenobarbital and phenytoin was less efficacious than cannabinoids in preventing behavioral and electrographic seizures produced in this model (Fig. 2B), indicating that cannabinoids may offer unique advantages in treating seizures refractory to currently prescribed anticonvulsants.
http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/307/1/129?sid=b91c50eb-5281-4d28-878a-43da4a2267ec

A young couple from Colorado, Paige and Matt Figi, faced this very harsh dilemma and their story is the subject of Dr. Gupta’s special “Weed,” airing this Sunday night. Their 5-year-old daughter, Charlotte, struggles with a severe form of epilepsy called Dravet Syndrome, and though they have endured extreme measures to treat her with medical marijuana, the results have been outstanding. Charlotte has gone from having hundreds of seizures a week to only one small episode each month with regular and carefully monitored use of the plant.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/sharda-sekaran/sanjay-gupta-medical-marijuana_b_3733143.html

At least one study published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information found that it stops cancer from spreading. Other international studies showed cancer-killing traits:
Here, we report that cannabidiol (CBD), a cannabinoid with a low-toxicity profile, could down-regulate Id-1 expression in aggressive human breast cancer cells. The CBD concentrations effective at inhibiting Id-1 expression correlated with those used to inhibit the proliferative and invasive phenotype of breast cancer cells. CBD was able to inhibit Id-1 expression at the mRNA and protein level in a concentration-dependent fashion. These effects seemed to occur as the result of an inhibition of the Id-1 gene at the promoter level. Importantly, CBD did not inhibit invasiveness in cells that ectopically expressed Id-1. In conclusion, CBD represents the first nontoxic exogenous agent that can significantly decrease Id-1 expression in metastatic breast cancer cells leading to the down-regulation of tumor aggressiveness.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18025276

Small doses can actually reduce anxiety, as published by Harvard Medical School:
Dose of THC also matters. At low doses, THC can be sedating. At higher doses, however, this substance can induce intense episodes of anxiety.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/medical-marijuana-and-the-mind

A study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal shows marijuana may ease pain in MS patients:
Smoked cannabis was superior to placebo in symptom and pain reduction in participants with treatment-resistant spasticity.
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2012/05/14/cmaj.110837

It's helped some people going through Hep C treaments per a study published in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology:
Our results suggest that modest cannabis use may offer symptomatic and virological benefit to some patients undergoing HCV treatment by helping them maintain adherence to the challenging medication regimen.
http://journals.lww.com/eurojgh/pag...=2006&issue=10000&article=00005&type=abstract

A study published in the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics showed evidence of marijuana helping with symptoms of IBS (like Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis):
These data suggest that endocannabinoids may play a role in the modulation of gut permeability and that cannabis-based medicines may possess therapeutic benefit in a variety of gastrointestinal diseases characterized by abnormal intestinal permeability, such as inflammatory bowel disease and shock.
http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/335/1/92?sid=c09c62d8-996e-4071-bbed-ff8d46fca175

A similar study from Israel reached the same conclusion:
Although the primary end point of the study (induction of remission) was not achieved, a short course (8 weeks) of THC-rich cannabis produced significant clinical, steroid-free benefits to 10 of 11 patients with active Crohn's disease, compared with placebo, without side effects.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648372

A study published in the American Journal Of Medicine found smokers have a healthier metabolism and are skinnier:
We found that marijuana use was associated with lower levels of fasting insulin and HOMA-IR, and smaller waist circumference.
http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(13)00200-3/abstract

A study from Israel showed a decrease in Parkinson's tremors:
"We not only saw improvement in tremor in these patients, but also in rigidity and in bradykinesia," Djaldetti told MedPage Today. "I would recommend use of marijuana to my patients as a last resort if nothing else was working for them or if they had pain."
https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/mds/39933

Just to name a few.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Another study shows reductions in workplace accidents, as many members of the test groups were too stoned to go to work.

nutz

First, you should understand that federal grant funding issued to marijuana studies goes mostly toward determining the downsides. Only 6% of them study the benefits.

First, you need to understand statistical data. The article you quoted does not have any. "In my quick running of the numbers, I calculated about 6% of the current U.S. marijuana studies investigate the benefits of medical marijuana"

I get it, you want to blow your brain out help yourself. Do I want you and your opinions influencing others decisions, no. It is not a cure all, applies to all drug of choice.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

First, you need to understand statistical data. The article you quoted does not have any. "In my quick running of the numbers, I calculated about 6% of the current U.S. marijuana studies investigate the benefits of medical marijuana"

I get it, you want to blow your brain out help yourself. Do I want you and your opinions influencing others decisions, no. It is not a cure all, applies to all drug of choice.

:lol: Okay. Pick the one article that didn't have data and ignore the 12 others. I'm not quite sure what your gripe is.

That you couldn't hit up your Googler and find out this #### for yourself?
News21 analyzed federally funded drug research projects from 2008 to 2014 using the NIH’s publicly available database. The $1.1 billion the agency spent to study marijuana abuse and addiction was $200 million more than what the organization spent on research into crystal meth, a highly addictive stimulant that the DEA has called an epidemic.

While NIH spent $297 million on grants for non-abuse research of marijuana, it provided two to four times as much for similar research of opiates and benzodiazepines, including drugs such as Xanax, according to the News21 analysis. Opiates are the narcotics that Vanderah said can cause prescription drug dependency or even heroin abuse.

The research on marijuana abuse and addiction was largely, but not exclusively, funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, a branch of NIH. The research covered subjects including how parents can prevent substance abuse and studies of cannabis-use disorder, which the American Psychiatric Association calls a problematic pattern of marijuana use.

The National Institute of Mental Health, for example, has spent just $48 million on medical-marijuana research despite states approving it to treat post-traumatic stress disorder. Yet the NIMH gave grants totaling $91 million for ketamine research — largely to treat depression — and almost $120 million for amphetamine research, to treat attention disorders.

Similarly, despite several states’ approval of marijuana and cannabinoids to treat epileptic seizures, the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke spent just $38 million through 2014 researching the potential effects of marijuana, compared with almost $100 million spent on opiate research, largely to treat different kinds of pain.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/08/18/feds-limit-research-marijuana-medical-use/31547557/

Maybe you also missed where I said:
Is it the miracle, all-healing, plant? No, but no one is claiming that.

Perhaps because you don't care to read what others post because you don't share the same opinion as them. God forbid people with different opinions "influence others decisions".

Hijinx

Democrats don't care who smokes Marijuana as long as making it legal can buy them a vote/.

nutz

:lol: Okay. Pick the one article that didn't have data and ignore the 12 others. I'm not quite sure what your gripe is.

That you couldn't hit up your Googler and find out this #### for yourself?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/08/18/feds-limit-research-marijuana-medical-use/31547557/

Maybe you also missed where I said:

Perhaps because you don't care to read what others post because you don't share the same opinion as them. God forbid people with different opinions "influence others decisions".

We've had this discussion before. I picked one out of 12 to randomly sample your data points. There are flaws in all of the articles you've chosen, I opted not to discuss each one individually. It's not because you have a different opinion, it's because your opinion only comes based on other opinion that is slanted towards legalization.

To further this, have you looked at the adverse effects on a national level, things that happen when the state says "it's ok to use"? USDOT policy for truck drivers that have a positive urinalysis? Federal financial aid for students? Federal employment and federally contracted employment? Contractor wanting to get federally funded projects? Contractor that can't perform contract because all employees are "dirty"? Public utility employees and contractors ? Changing public policies (laws) affect our whole society, not just me and you.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

We've had this discussion before. I picked one out of 12 to randomly sample your data points. There are flaws in all of the articles you've chosen, I opted not to discuss each one individually. It's not because you have a different opinion, it's because your opinion only comes based on other opinion that is slanted towards legalization.

To further this, have you looked at the adverse effects on a national level, things that happen when the state says "it's ok to use"? USDOT policy for truck drivers that have a positive urinalysis? Federal financial aid for students? Federal employment and federally contracted employment? Contractor wanting to get federally funded projects? Contractor that can't perform contract because all employees are "dirty"? Public utility employees and contractors ? Changing public policies (laws) affect our whole society, not just me and you.

No, you picked the one story from a media agency instead of going after scholarly studies. Good choice.

I didn't create or publish those studies, but what I did was use them to refute your claim that "no data exists". It's simply not true and you're ignoring the point of posting those studies in order to move away from your factually incorrect statement.

I've certainly thought about those national implications, yes. To me, you're arguing "what ifs" that can be said for alcohol. You and I both know that THC stays in one's system for a long period of time. If an employee smoked marijuana over the weekend and didn't come to work high, butTHC is in their system, should they be fired? I don;t think that's fair, but I also realize that the federal government's unwillingness to budge on this subject has caused a sort of limbo where federal guidelines must be followed. If the employee tests positive, or the truck driver, or contractor, or whomever, if the guidelines say it's a fireable offense then so be it. The same goes for private employers.

I agree that changing laws affects people. That can be said about literally every law ever created/changed, as that's pretty much the point of creating/changing the law in the first place.

nutz

No, you picked the one story from a media agency instead of going after scholarly studies. Good choice.

I didn't create or publish those studies, but what I did was use them to refute your claim that "no data exists". It's simply not true and you're ignoring the point of posting those studies in order to move away from your factually incorrect statement.

I've certainly thought about those national implications, yes. To me, you're arguing "what ifs" that can be said for alcohol. You and I both know that THC stays in one's system for a long period of time. If an employee smoked marijuana over the weekend and didn't come to work high, butTHC is in their system, should they be fired? I don;t think that's fair, but I also realize that the federal government's unwillingness to budge on this subject has caused a sort of limbo where federal guidelines must be followed. If the employee tests positive, or the truck driver, or contractor, or whomever, if the guidelines say it's a fireable offense then so be it. The same goes for private employers.

I agree that changing laws affects people. That can be said about literally every law ever created/changed, as that's pretty much the point of creating/changing the law in the first place.

Ok, I randomly picked another of your scholarly works. Still didn't find data to support your claim. https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/medical-marijuana-and-the-mind.

"More psychiatric risk than benefit

Part of the reason marijuana works to relieve pain and quell nausea is that, in some people, it reduces anxiety, improves mood, and acts as a sedative. But so far the few studies evaluating the use of marijuana as a treatment for psychiatric disorders are inconclusive, partly because this drug may have contradictory effects in the brain depending on the dose of the drug and inborn genetic vulnerability."

Your argument is failing to swing me.

Chris0nllyn

Ok, I randomly picked another of your scholarly works. Still didn't find data to support your claim. https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/medical-marijuana-and-the-mind.

"More psychiatric risk than benefit

Part of the reason marijuana works to relieve pain and quell nausea is that, in some people, it reduces anxiety, improves mood, and acts as a sedative. But so far the few studies evaluating the use of marijuana as a treatment for psychiatric disorders are inconclusive, partly because this drug may have contradictory effects in the brain depending on the dose of the drug and inborn genetic vulnerability."

Your argument is failing to swing me.

:lol: I said "small doses", didn't I?

And what did that study say, again?
Dose of THC also matters. At low doses, THC can be sedating. At higher doses, however, this substance can induce intense episodes of anxiety.

I literally posted the same thing you did, with a link, and your point is that no data exists to support "my claim" (as if I'm the ####ing guy in the story I linked)?

My argument was never an argument to begin with. It's quite clear you want nothig to do with changing your mind on this subject, which is fine, but as I continually point out, those links were provided because you specifically said:

Both claims were factually incorrect and now you want to act like you wanted to have a discussion about the potential health benefits of marijuana? I don't think so.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have to wonder how potheads like Chris can keep a job. Or..more correctly, keep a job in any field like mine where random drug testing is the norm.

Starman

I have to wonder how potheads like Chris can keep a job. Or..more correctly, keep a job in any field like mine where random drug testing is the norm.

Drug testing really isn’t the norm.

Besides, employers are certainly allowed to have a no drug use policy despite what state law might be.

Furthermore, legalization of drugs doesn't increase usage. In places like the Netherlands, for example, the coffee shops are for tourists. The culture there is that respectable people don't really consume any drugs.

Last edited:

nutz

:lol: I said "small doses", didn't I?

And what did that study say, again?

I literally posted the same thing you did, with a link, and your point is that no data exists to support "my claim" (as if I'm the ####ing guy in the story I linked)?

My argument was never an argument to begin with. It's quite clear you want nothig to do with changing your mind on this subject, which is fine, but as I continually point out, those links were provided because you specifically said:

Both claims were factually incorrect and now you want to act like you wanted to have a discussion about the potential health benefits of marijuana? I don't think so.

OMG, you and a brick :doh:

nutz

yep, good thing. Of course on the other hand, "I've got a medical card, what do you mean I'm not automatically exempt" and see how many frivolous lawsuits pop-up.

Chris0nllyn

You should be wondering why you go around claiming everyone's a liar while making unfounded accusations yourself.

Be a man and provide proof of your claim. Otherwise, quit ####ing lying.

OMG, you and a brick :doh:

Whatever you need to make yourself feel better. You made the claim, I refuted it. You're brining up points that were already made and acknowledged by me.

yep, good thing. Of course on the other hand, "I've got a medical card, what do you mean I'm not automatically exempt" and see how many frivolous lawsuits pop-up.

29 states have medical marijuana laws dating back to 1996. Have there been a ton of these lawsuits you speak of?