These 3 Student Data Bills Could Ruin Your Kid’s Life

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
These 3 Student Data Bills Could Ruin Your Kid’s Life
Sorry, but I don’t happen to believe that lifelong surveillance and surveillance-based manipulation of my choices should be the price of a public education.

For years, I researched and wrote about the State Longitudinal Database Systems (SLDS) here in Oklahoma and across the nation (here, here and here), warning that these ill-advised legislative efforts to codify “transparency and accountability” in public schools would end up creating what could only be considered a national database.

In 2013 I testified before our state legislature on the dangers of SLDS, which are a system of interconnected state data streams that flow into a giant federal data river collecting information starting when small humans enter the public school system. Sorry, but I don’t happen to believe that lifelong surveillance and surveillance-based manipulation of my choices should be the price of a public education. Nobody needs his preschool discipline records following him for life because some data company in cahoots with the government—well beyond my control—wants to plunder education records to make a buck.

The arguments I used then remain valid today: there is no way to provide either the bureaucracy-driven “transparency” or “accountability” government officials now desire for public education without collecting countless data points of information on nearly every facet of a student’s life. Of course, that is exactly what schools do today: collect endless reams of data.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Sure. But for so many, that's simply not an option.

If I were dirt poor, I'd find a way. People put some of the stupidest fund raisers on gofundme, they could get money to do this. People who don't need to, stand street corners and beg. It's all in what your priorities are.

PeoplesElbow

I remember the "It's going on your permanent record" threat from school. When I graduated high school they actually gave us our permanent records and it had nothing that I was threatened with, only my grades.