Not looking forward to Atlantic Broadband's purchase of Metrocast

imaref

So Atlantic Broadband started the process to purchase Metrocast in July 2017. The deal is supposed to be finalized in January 2018.

I did some searches for "Atlantic Broadband reviews"--good luck getting ahold of customer reps. I'm not looking forward to their "service". Looks like their price for 120 mbps down service starts at a PROMOTIONAL rate of $50 in Cumberland, MD (just for new customers). No idea what out of promotion customers pay (can't seem to find that info).

I have a feeling that when Jan./Feb./March comes we're going to get screwed. Hard.

Thanks St. Mary's County Commissioners...always putting our needs first, eh?

http://www.somdnews.com/enterprise/...cle_31d70ab1-abd4-5a3e-aa42-c0664acf229a.html

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, it's changed hands a few time. When I moved here in '88, it was American Cable.

Sounds right. I move back here (7D/Colton's Point) in '85 and that was the first time we had cable. Western Shore or something like that was another one..

BernieP

Resident PIA
Thanks St. Mary's County Commissioners...always putting our needs first, eh?

http://www.somdnews.com/enterprise/...cle_31d70ab1-abd4-5a3e-aa42-c0664acf229a.html

Two things you should understand, SMC has no control over the corporate operations of either company. Metrocast holds the franchise for most of St. Mary's County, if they are sold, the company acquiring Metrocrap will assume the franchise until the next time it's up for bids.

Part two, Metrocast (or was it Gans or Western Shore at the time) was the only bidder. I was told the major providers don't want the problem. To much area to upgrade to their corporate standards for the number of households. Not profitable.

You would be better off sueing whoever it is that created this franchise (monopoly) system for cable providers. Though I do know in certain areas Verizon FiOS competes with Comcast (xFinity) head to head. Why we don't have any competition is beyond me.

3CATSAILOR

Higher bills and it will DOUBLE in the not to distant future. The County Commissioners always find a way to make me chuckle. Like they will actually get Atlantic Broadband to agree to a reasonable price for the elderly! (LOL) !!! Have you had your prostate checked lately? :killingme

awpitt

Main Streeter
Sounds right. I move back here (7D/Colton's Point) in '85 and that was the first time we had cable. Western Shore or something like that was another one..

Yes. I think Western Shore came after American Cable. They were also called GNP at one point.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Two things you should understand, SMC has no control over the corporate operations of either company. Metrocast holds the franchise for most of St. Mary's County, if they are sold, the company acquiring Metrocrap will assume the franchise until the next time it's up for bids.

Part two, Metrocast (or was it Gans or Western Shore at the time) was the only bidder. I was told the major providers don't want the problem. To much area to upgrade to their corporate standards for the number of households. Not profitable.

You would be better off sueing whoever it is that created this franchise (monopoly) system for cable providers. Though I do know in certain areas Verizon FiOS competes with Comcast (xFinity) head to head. Why we don't have any competition is beyond me.

Actually, the cable franchise transfer is officially taking place on December 4, 2017.

imaref

Well figure they're going to have to raise prices enough to cover the money they spent to buy Metrocast. But that won't be good enough--they'll need to make a profit on top of that as well. I don't think the service will suffer, but I'm awfully afraid that the prices are going to skyrocket. Big time. Plus they will charge even more for internet to make up for all of the cord cutters. I can see it coming...

BernieP

Resident PIA
Well figure they're going to have to raise prices enough to cover the money they spent to buy Metrocast. But that won't be good enough--they'll need to make a profit on top of that as well. I don't think the service will suffer, but I'm awfully afraid that the prices are going to skyrocket. Big time. Plus they will charge even more for internet to make up for all of the cord cutters. I can see it coming...

they are locked into the same agreement Metrocast had. They will only be able to raise their rates in accordance with the rules that apply to the current franchise.
Where you might see a change is when it comes up for re-compete.
Unless the county can attract viable alternatives we will continue to see subpar performance at higher and higher prices.

BlueOx77

they are locked into the same agreement Metrocast had. They will only be able to raise their rates in accordance with the rules that apply to the current franchise.
Where you might see a change is when it comes up for re-compete.
Unless the county can attract viable alternatives we will continue to see subpar performance at higher and higher prices.

The cable franchise agreement with the county does not pertain to rates, or channel selection: http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/cable/

BernieP

Resident PIA
The cable franchise agreement with the county does not pertain to rates, or channel selection: http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/cable/

Interesting, I stand corrected, I thought there were limits. I also noticed that the franchise for both companies (Comcast) are non-exclusive and cover the entire county.

So why doesn't Comcast service the rest of St. Mary's?
And why was Verizon limited to the "new" development behind Target that wasn't previously on the books (as someone said.
Seems odd that for a non-exclusive agreement there is no competition.
Seems odd that the only ones who benefit are the county government, they get fiber optic internet service (at least in part), while other still struggle with dial up.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Middle of nowhere West Virginia

Lucky you! We moved to be near dot and granddot. Montgomery County sucks. Enjoy. I, always, think of John Denver’s song...Take Me Home Country Roads...when WVA is mentioned. Enjoy your space!

One of our fave trips was to Harper’s Ferry.

Last edited: